Glass terrarium.

Otto23

Original Poster
You need a dome that handles the wattage of the bulb --- look for that and you dont want it any closer than 6" --
I managed to get the dome inside. The dome can handle up to 250 W. I do now use a 150 W bulb inside the dome and the temps are a little bit high on the basking spot. I have a 100 W halogen bulb aswell which im gonna use instead. But in the middle and the cool side, the temps are not what they need to be. On the cool side it is about 70~ F and on the warm side its about the same. The room temperature is normal. Im thinking maybe that too much heat is escaping.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I managed to get the dome inside. The dome can handle up to 250 W. I do now use a 150 W bulb inside the dome and the temps are a little bit high on the basking spot. I have a 100 W halogen bulb aswell which im gonna use instead. But in the middle and the cool side, the temps are not what they need to be. On the cool side it is about 70~ F and on the warm side its about the same. The room temperature is normal. Im thinking maybe that too much heat is escaping.
What is the surface basking temp now w/ the heat bulb inside? Make sure your using a digital probe thermometer--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its about 115 - 120 F. Im gonna change the bulb to a 100 W instead. Im using a temp gun to check the surface temps.
they are inaccurate on hammocks --- it is best to get a digital probe even certain materials can thro off a IR gun

Otto23

Original Poster
they are inaccurate on hammocks --- it is best to get a digital probe even certain materials can thro off a IR gun
He has multiple "tiles" as a basking spot which he easily can get on. What can i do to get the temps on the cool side and warm side up?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He has multiple "tiles" as a basking spot which he easily can get on. What can i do to get the temps on the cool side and warm side up?
Set up a second basking spot in the middle of the tank low wattage like 75 get a surface basking temp of 90's that will heat the cool side up to the 80's

Otto23

Original Poster
Set up a second basking spot in the middle of the tank low wattage like 75 get a surface basking temp of 90's that will heat the cool side up to the 80's
I will see if i can do that, but can i first try and cover some parts of the metal. Maybe that will work and reduce the amount of heat escaping?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will see if i can do that, but can i first try and cover some parts of the metal. Maybe that will work and reduce the amount of heat escaping?
Yes just make sure your getting surface basking temps -- digital probe please

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
Would somthing like this help? It's a fixture which supports a t5 bulb and a basking bulb directly adjacent. That way both would be in the tank.

This also ought to help increase the temperature gradiant as the heat would be much more concentrated than you suspending a light over the enclosure.

There are other sizes and even an option with a second basking bulb socket. Someone with more knowledge than me needs to confirm there aren't any downsides to these fixtures I'm unaware of as I'm new to the hobby.

*edit* I saw you might need additional heating so I looked and carolinacages also sells stand alone halogen gu10 mounts. You should be able to attach it under the mesh whereever you need the additional heat

You could also just get two and not have to replace the existing ubv fixture which would save some money. Again, someone with experience needs to comment. Now I'm interested too because I might use these in my enclosure to get the dome off the top. They look pretty nice

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That actually looks like it would be great in an under the screen application.
Much easier to set up than my suggestion to lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Would somthing like this help? It's a fixture which supports a t5 bulb and a basking bulb directly adjacent. That way both would be in the tank.

This also ought to help increase the temperature gradiant as the heat would be much more concentrated than you suspending a light over the enclosure.

There are other sizes and even an option with a second basking bulb socket. Someone with more knowledge than me needs to confirm there aren't any downsides to these fixtures I'm unaware of as I'm new to the hobby.

*edit* I saw you might need additional heating so I looked and carolinacages also sells stand alone halogen gu10 mounts. You should be able to attach it under the mesh whereever you need the additional heat

You could also just get two and not have to replace the existing ubv fixture which would save some money. Again, someone with experience needs to comment. Now I'm interested too because I might use these in my enclosure to get the dome off the top. They look pretty nice
People have had problems w/ that set up in the past - you cannot adjust the basking bulb and if its too hot then you cant move it -- you haft to change the bulb out and then it may not be hot enough ---

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
People have had problems w/ that set up in the past - you cannot adjust the basking bulb and if its too hot then you cant move it -- you haft to change the bulb out and then it may not be hot enough ---
Ah, that makes sense. It looks like the combo uses a single cord so you definitely couldn't use a dimmer. For the stand alone I do see some gu10 halogens advertised as dimmable, but I do not know if the fixture supports that.

The maximum wattage is 75w, and I think the next step down is 50. If you needed like a 65w for optimum Temps that would indeed be an issue without the ability to dim the light.

I suspect if you needed two anyway spaced out to get your gradiant correct you could find the right balance as the carolina cage brand go as low as 20w, and other brands even down to 10w.

This would obviously be a matter of trial an error though and if the temperature in your house varies much could end up being unworkable

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom