Glass terrarium.

Otto23

I have a 4x2x2 glass terrarium. The top of the terrarium has thick glass on the long sides and i think has metal in the middle with pretty tiny holes i would say. I have my heat lamp hanging down from the ceiling a little bit up so its not directly on the glass. Will anything still happen to the glass because of the heat? Im really worried something will happen and i cant really put it inside. :confused:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have a 4x2x2 glass terrarium. The top of the terrarium has thick glass on the long sides and i think has metal in the middle with pretty tiny holes i would say. I have my heat lamp hanging down from the ceiling a little bit up so its not directly on the glass. Will anything still happen to the glass because of the heat? Im really worried something will happen and i cant really put it inside. :confused:
Its possible it will break - I would look at replacing it w/ screen-

Otto23

Original Poster
Let me flag a couple of people and see if they can help in the meantime post a pic of the tank so they can see it
@CooperDragon
@Claudiusx
I am not really home so i cant really send a picture but i found a picture online that is very similar to the one i have. Tho the one i have is bigger and the top of the terrarium has thicker glass then the one i sent, that is pretty much the only difference. I hope this is good enough :giggle:

Attachments

• bild_2023-03-04_205816216.jpg
    bild_2023-03-04_205816216.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 58
  • terrarium-glas-134-liter-56x51x47-cm.jpeg
    terrarium-glas-134-liter-56x51x47-cm.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 53

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not really home so i cant really send a picture but i found a picture online that is very similar to the one i have. Tho the one i have is bigger and the top of the terrarium has thicker glass then the one i sent, that is pretty much the only difference. I hope this is good enough :giggle:
Is your tank a 36 gallon? If so your going to need a bigger tank for a adult dragon- we recommend a 4x2x2 or 120 gallon tank --

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My tank is 120 gallons. The pictures i sent is a tank that looks like mine but is just smaller.
Ok so your good on size but the glass top is a issue-- the only thing I can think of getting the glass off -- lets see if the two I flagged the post to have any ideas of what you can do -- you have the UVB in the tank?

Otto23

Original Poster
Ok so your good on size but the glass top is a issue-- the only thing I can think of getting the glass off -- lets see if the two I flagged the post to have any ideas of what you can do -- you have the UVB in the tank?
Yeah, the uvb is inside the tank

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am using a T 5. About the glass top thing, is it still a high chance for it to break if the heat lamp is like 4 inches above the glass? Removing the glass is gonna be a pain..
I am not sure -- I know we did have someone on here at one time that had a glass top and theirs broke w/ the heat -- we recommend the basking bulb be at least 6" from the basking decor piece - your gonna have a hard time getting surface basking temps w/ the glass on it and the higher wattage you go the more risk for breaking-- make sure your T 5 is directly above your basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- what are you getting for surface basking temps now and how are you taking them?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have broken a tank with glass strips like that. The best thing would be to use a hobby knife and remove one of the glass panels. The glass is acting as a heat sink anyway, it is keeping most of the heat from reaching your dragon. Lowes and home depot both sell window screen kits, you can use one of those to make a replacement screen panel for the glass you remove.
Another thing you could do is pick up some picture hanging wire, run it through the hole in the mesh and use it to hang your basking dome inside the habitat.

Otto23

Original Poster
I have broken a tank with glass strips like that. The best thing would be to use a hobby knife and remove one of the glass panels. The glass is acting as a heat sink anyway, it is keeping most of the heat from reaching your dragon. Lowes and home depot both sell window screen kits, you can use one of those to make a replacement screen panel for the glass you remove.
Another thing you could do is pick up some picture hanging wire, run it through the hole in the mesh and use it to hang your basking dome inside the habitat.
I think hanging it inside the habitat would be the best option for me. Im not really getting the temps i need when its hanging from the ceiling. The dome i have for the tank is about 7.5 - 10 inches long. Is the dome too big?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think hanging it inside the habitat would be the best option for me. Im not really getting the temps i need when its hanging from the ceiling. The dome i have for the tank is about 7.5 - 10 inches long. Is the dome too big?
You need a dome that handles the wattage of the bulb --- look for that and you dont want it any closer than 6" --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom