Glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Recently just bought a juvenile bearded dragon. He occasionally glass surfs but he frequently does it a lot when I turn the “night” lamp on when it’s time for bed. Does anyone know why he does this as I want him to be as happy and as healthy as possible?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Dragons should not have lights on at night. If the enclosure drops below 65° you can use a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for temperature. They do not produce any light. Dragons like it dark and cool to sleep.

Burnzey71

Original Poster
I’ve seen a lot about CHE’s, gonna have to invest in one. I do know once she does go to sleep she crawls up into a little rock cave in her enclosure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Recently just bought a juvenile bearded dragon. He occasionally glass surfs but he frequently does it a lot when I turn the “night” lamp on when it’s time for bed. Does anyone know why he does this as I want him to be as happy and as healthy as possible?
Make sure your basking temps are surface temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- UVB is a long tube fixture NO coils and more than likely the colored bulb was the culprit for the surfing at night ---those things I mentioned are the MOST important things in that tank - if you need more help w/ anything especially the UVB please ask - it is extremely important that you have a good UVB -- many brands out there are not that good

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Make sure your basking temps are surface temps taken w/a digital probe thermometer -- UVB is a long tube fixture NO coils and more than likely the colored bulb was the culprit for the surfing at night ---those things I mentioned are the MOST important things in that tank - if you need more help w/ anything especially the UVB please ask - it is extremely important that you have a good UVB -- many brands out there are not that good
What are some good brands to look into

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are some good brands to look into
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 24" -- currently this fixture is sold out on the sites I went to for the 24" that is why I am asking the tank size
how big is your tank?
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this fixture SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
you will need the 22' Reptisun bulb or the Arcadia 12% bulb
these bulbs will need to be changed out in approx 1 year I recommend a month prior to

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb
Arcadia ProT5 UVB Kit 24" -- currently this fixture is sold out on the sites I went to for the 24" that is why I am asking the tank size
how big is your tank?
Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood this will come w/a 5.0 bulb keep it for a back up distance and placement is different from the bulb you need
22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO
or this fixture SunBlaster NanoTech T5 HO - Fluorescent Fixture with 6400K Lamp
you will need the 22' Reptisun bulb or the Arcadia 12% bulb
these bulbs will need to be changed out in approx 1 year I recommend a month prior to
All we had was a 10G tank. I know we need a bigger one we are just waiting on that, gonna get her in a bigger one ASAP while she’s still just a little thing

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
At least a 20, would love a 40-50. What would you recommend?
Adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon - a 10 gallon is way too small- you will need to upgrade to a 75-120 by the time she's a year so you can get a big tank and partition it off till she's like 5-6 months - if she were in a 20 gallon now I would recommend a 24" Zoo Med so you can use the 5.0 bulb till you get a bigger tank but I don't want you buying double fixtures tanks etc it gets too expensive- you can look for a 20 gallon on FB marketplace or Craigslist - let me know what you decide

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Adult dragons need a 75-120 gallon - a 10 gallon is way too small- you will need to upgrade to a 75-120 by the time she's a year so you can get a big tank and partition it off till she's like 5-6 months - if she were in a 20 gallon now I would recommend a 24" Zoo Med so you can use the 5.0 bulb till you get a bigger tank but I don't want you buying double fixtures tanks etc it gets too expensive- you can look for a 20 gallon on FB marketplace or Craigslist - let me know what you decide
I will thank you for the information. As of now to my knowledge she’s pretty happy and healthy. Eats lots of crickets and his starting to eat greens. I want her to stay happy and healthy which is why I joined here and ask a lot of questions

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I will thank you for the information. As of now to my knowledge she’s pretty happy and healthy. Eats lots of crickets and his starting to eat greens. I want her to stay happy and healthy which is why I joined here and ask a lot of questions
Please keep asking- but you need to upgrade the uvb - coils are no good and she's not getting proper uvb this will effect her health

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Will do. Also a little off topic… my beardie has been closing 1 eye at a time. Is this something I should worry about?
It is common for them to close one eye at a time when basking is this when she's doing this? But coils are notorious for causing eye issues along w/ some basking bulbs like off white or yellowish bulbs colored bulbs- bulbs that have the neoydium coating on them - you want CLEAR bright white basking bulbs- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer- to get surface basking temps

Burnzey71

Original Poster
It is common for them to close one eye at a time when basking is this when she's doing this? But coils are notorious for causing eye issues along w/ some basking bulbs like off white or yellowish bulbs colored bulbs- bulbs that have the neoydium coating on them - you want CLEAR bright white basking bulbs- make sure you have a digital probe thermometer- to get surface basking temps
Yes I’ve only seen her do it while basking. So all the pet store gave me was a heat bulb and a night bulb. I’m at the pet store now, do I need a heat bulb, basking bulb, and a UVB bulb and if so what brands are best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom