Glass surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Recently just bought a juvenile bearded dragon. He occasionally glass surfs but he frequently does it a lot when I turn the “night” lamp on when it’s time for bed. Does anyone know why he does this as I want him to be as happy and as healthy as possible?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes I’ve only seen her do it while basking. So all the pet store gave me was a heat bulb and a night bulb. I’m at the pet store now, do I need a heat bulb, basking bulb, and a UVB bulb and if so what brands are best?
Zoo med fixture 18" will come w/ a reptisun bulb 10.0 this will haft to be upgraded to a 10.0 T 5 w/ different fixture -see if they have a 24" fuxture exo Terra clear bright white basking bulb - try a 50 watt bulb but you must have a digital probe thermometer- get rid of the colored bulb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Zoo med fixture 18" will come w/ a reptisun bulb 10.0 this will haft to be upgraded to a 10.0 T 5 w/ different fixture -see if they have a 24" fuxture exo Terra clear bright white basking bulb - try a 50 watt bulb but you must have a digital probe thermometer- get rid of the colored bulb
Let me know what you get I will help you get it set up the uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It’s hard to figure out what I need without actually having the bigger tank. Should I start with buying the bigger tank before everything else?
Your dragon needs a uvb or she will not survive- she will quit eating that will be the first thing- you must have a uvb and the basking bulb-- the basking bulb starts digestion and the uvb helps her absorb the calcium plus it controls the overall health - that is why I said to get the Zoo Med 24" fixture that will be the best one for this scenario

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Your dragon needs a uvb or she will not survive- she will quit eating that will be the first thing- you must have a uvb and the basking bulb-- the basking bulb starts digestion and the uvb helps her absorb the calcium plus it controls the overall health - that is why I said to get the Zoo Med 24" fixture that will be the best one for this scenario
Just wanted to give an update from last night. Switched to a digital probe thermometer which I like better already. I also switched to a CHE instead of a night light and this worked amazingly. My beardie only glass surfed for about 2 minutes and then curled up and slept for about 9 hours. Upgrading to a 40-50G tank and working on getting the proper lighting (should be all set up tomorrow) As of now I’m trying to get her to keep eating veggies and to bond with me. I’ve had her for about 3 days and she’s still a little nervous when I get my hand close to her. I think one I get that tank that doesn’t open up from the top that should help. Is there anything else I’m missing or I should be looking into?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Just wanted to give an update from last night. Switched to a digital probe thermometer which I like better already. I also switched to a CHE instead of a night light and this worked amazingly. My beardie only glass surfed for about 2 minutes and then curled up and slept for about 9 hours. Upgrading to a 40-50G tank and working on getting the proper lighting (should be all set up tomorrow) As of now I’m trying to get her to keep eating veggies and to bond with me. I’ve had her for about 3 days and she’s still a little nervous when I get my hand close to her. I think one I get that tank that doesn’t open up from the top that should help. Is there anything else I’m missing or I should be looking into?
Just good basking temps and good UVB --- when you get your UVB please let me know I will help you set it up for your tank --- shes going thru relocation stress so give her time shes little and is scared - shes going to need to learn to trust you - put a piece of clothing in her hide or a fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it so she learns to trust you -- that is very important - you can get some BSFL and hand feed her those they make great salad toppers dont dust them but dust your other insects your feeding - use the BSFL to draw her to the salad bowl www.symtonbsf.com drop the BSFL on the salad in front of her so it gets her attention feed as many as you want they are a great staple for babies so you get a tank that opens from the top? Once you get your temps and UVB corrected and set up shes going to acclimate to her tank and surroundings faster - so when you move her into the bigger tank your gonna have the relocation stress but the lighting and temps are going to help w/ that --

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Just good basking temps and good UVB --- when you get your UVB please let me know I will help you set it up for your tank --- shes going thru relocation stress so give her time shes little and is scared - shes going to need to learn to trust you - put a piece of clothing in her hide or a fleece blanket something w/ your smell on it so she learns to trust you -- that is very important - you can get some BSFL and hand feed her those they make great salad toppers dont dust them but dust your other insects your feeding - use the BSFL to draw her to the salad bowl www.symtonbsf.com drop the BSFL on the salad in front of her so it gets her attention feed as many as you want they are a great staple for babies so you get a tank that opens from the top? Once you get your temps and UVB corrected and set up shes going to acclimate to her tank and surroundings faster - so when you move her into the bigger tank your gonna have the relocation stress but the lighting and temps are going to help w/ that --
Great? And the tank we have now opens from the top but the tank we’re setting up tomorrow will open from the front. I’ve seen coming to beardies from above is a bad thing. If she’s not eating her salad in the morning should I leave it in all day and if she still hasn’t eaten when I get home give her some crickets?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Great? And the tank we have now opens from the top but the tank we’re setting up tomorrow will open from the front. I’ve seen coming to beardies from above is a bad thing. If she’s not eating her salad in the morning should I leave it in all day and if she still hasn’t eaten when I get home give her some crickets?
Offer the salad first thing in the morning w/ the BSFL -- thats going to get her to that bowl her main diet is protein but you want her eating a little salad that is the main way they get their hydration so rinse the greens before serving - and yes approach from the side not above she will think your a predator -- you can take your crickets and pull the back legs off of them disabling them put them in your salad bowl that too will get her to the salad bowl - you will need a ceramic or glass bowl something like this Amazon.com
Dubias work better for bowls they are easier to work w/ www.dubiaroaches.com they have a size chart get the insect no bigger than the space between the eyes - dust them-- a 10 gallon aquarium works great for keeping them in - order a good amount and feed them fruit squash they arent hot on greens I get dubia food / chow and dubia dew for mine they also like carrots but do not feed your dragons carrots too much Vit A -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
do you have a hygrometer in the tank I recommend a digital one Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read your whole tank 40-50 % is optimal nothing under 20 or over 70% --- when she gets over the relocation stress she will start eating 20-30 crickets per feeding - so if your feeding 2-3 times per day once she starts eating thats a good amount for crickets - DO NOT dust more than one feeding - lightly coated w/ the D3 - dubias she should eat about 12-15 roaches depending on how many BSFL she eats - you can get her some small super worms feed 1-3 top of her salads every other day --

Burnzey71

Original Poster
Offer the salad first thing in the morning w/ the BSFL -- thats going to get her to that bowl her main diet is protein but you want her eating a little salad that is the main way they get their hydration so rinse the greens before serving - and yes approach from the side not above she will think your a predator -- you can take your crickets and pull the back legs off of them disabling them put them in your salad bowl that too will get her to the salad bowl - you will need a ceramic or glass bowl something like this Amazon.com
Dubias work better for bowls they are easier to work w/ www.dubiaroaches.com they have a size chart get the insect no bigger than the space between the eyes - dust them-- a 10 gallon aquarium works great for keeping them in - order a good amount and feed them fruit squash they arent hot on greens I get dubia food / chow and dubia dew for mine they also like carrots but do not feed your dragons carrots too much Vit A -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
do you have a hygrometer in the tank I recommend a digital one Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com place the probe on the back center wall of the tank it will read your whole tank 40-50 % is optimal nothing under 20 or over 70% --- when she gets over the relocation stress she will start eating 20-30 crickets per feeding - so if your feeding 2-3 times per day once she starts eating thats a good amount for crickets - DO NOT dust more than one feeding - lightly coated w/ the D3 - dubias she should eat about 12-15 roaches depending on how many BSFL she eats - you can get her some small super worms feed 1-3 top of her salads every other day --
Her tank hovers right around 30% humidity. It’s gotten as high as 40% and as low as 20% (currently 28%) the water and food bowl my current tank came with looks like a rock but I’ll look at getting glass. When I do put crickets in she eats a lot of them, I will try pulling their legs off and sprinkling on the salad in the morning. I also love the idea of worms too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom