Glass surfing with black beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve posted on here recently with other questions, but now all of a sudden my beardie is glass surfing all over his enclosure with a very black beard. I think he may see his reflection?? It started shortly after I got a new uvb, I don’t know if that’s it or if it’s a coincidence? I got the Arcadia pro t5 12% strip. He isn’t that close to it maybe like 17 inches the furthest and the closest he can get is 12 inches. His heat is good basking area is right above 100 and it’s about 85+ everywhere else. I tried soaking him today which he normally loves soaking, but five minutes in his beard turned black so I put him back and now he’s been glass surfing for the past hour. I’m not sure what’s wrong or if during certain times of year it’s more normal? It’s turning winter where I live, I’m slightly concerned because this is a new behavior for him. He’s also about 3 years old

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’ve posted on here recently with other questions, but now all of a sudden my beardie is glass surfing all over his enclosure with a very black beard. I think he may see his reflection?? It started shortly after I got a new uvb, I don’t know if that’s it or if it’s a coincidence? I got the Arcadia pro t5 12% strip. He isn’t that close to it maybe like 17 inches the furthest and the closest he can get is 12 inches. His heat is good basking area is right above 100 and it’s about 85+ everywhere else. I tried soaking him today which he normally loves soaking, but five minutes in his beard turned black so I put him back and now he’s been glass surfing for the past hour. I’m not sure what’s wrong or if during certain times of year it’s more normal? It’s turning winter where I live, I’m slightly concerned because this is a new behavior for him. He’s also about 3 years old
Ok so we know its not the lighting or temps -- if you think its his reflection cover the parts that he can see it -- outside w/ news paper magazine pages etc-- start w/ that -- if it continues then we need to try other things

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Ok so we know its not the lighting or temps -- if you think its his reflection cover the parts that he can see it -- outside w/ news paper magazine pages etc-- start w/ that -- if it continues then we need to try other things
It started literally the day I switched his uvb, I’m not sure if this one reflects more on the glass so now he sees himself more than he did before? I did have to take out a lot of his decor because they went up to high and I didn’t want him that close to the new uvb since this is a stronger one than the one I had before.

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
I added a video, I couldn’t get him glass surfing but that what he does, his beard is black and he stares at the glass and then starts going at it. Excuse the berries and kale, I tried to calm him with some food but it didn’t work

Attachments

• 65905777592__36BEA12D-EACA-407F-926E-B1F2D62CCCBF.MOV
    2.1 MB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I added a video, I couldn’t get him glass surfing but that what he does, his beard is black and he stares at the glass and then starts going at it. Excuse the berries and kale, I tried to calm him with some food but it didn’t work
the video is not working and is only a pic

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
Hopefully this one works better. He is also bobbing his head which I know is a dominant thing

Attachments

• 65905808996__F0F46D64-6892-4C78-82F1-5096D506E0BE.MOV
    3.3 MB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hopefully this one works better. He is also bobbing his head which I know is a dominant thing
just a pic of him ---- when I click it blinks and goes to the pic -- head bobbing is a sign of dominance which is mating thing so that would be the black beard and seeing himself in the glass --- cover it up then watch the behavior - any other dragons in the house he can see?

Srgeorge2177

Original Poster
just a pic of him ---- when I click it blinks and goes to the pic -- head bobbing is a sign of dominance which is mating thing so that would be the black beard and seeing himself in the glass --- cover it up then watch the behavior - any other dragons in the house he can see?
Also, would cardboard be safe for covering it up? I don’t have newspaper handy but I have lots of cardboard

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
just a pic of him ---- when I click it blinks and goes to the pic
I think this may be an issue with older browsers perhaps. I did see both videos. I know that Shinryu had issues too, and she has an older system. Not sure why its an issue.

It could also be connection speed. Maybe it is still loading the video before it decides to play it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I think this may be an issue with older browsers perhaps. I did see both videos. I know that Shinryu had issues too, and she has an older system. Not sure why its an issue.

It could also be connection speed. Maybe it is still loading the video before it decides to play it?
No it downloaded them after I saw them in my browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom