Glass Doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imsarah

So I'm thinking of building my own enclosure using an end table I've had forever and its got wooden drawers I was thinking I could remove and replace with a glass door for the front. Only thing is, I don't know how to go about making a glass door. Where can I go to have glass cut for me and will they file the edges and make it smooth or is there some way to frame it?

WarDaddy

Home dept only cuts 3/16" glass or picture frame glass. Now that will work for an enclosure, it is given to you very sharp. Glass that thin is easy to break.

I would suggest finding you local glass and mirror shop, and having them cut you 1/4" glass. the glass is stronger, and they sand and round the edges, so you will not gut yourself on it, and your dragon will never have a chance of hurting itself. An added bonus, if you take the door frame to them, they will likely cut it to fit, perfectly. No chance at a mis-measure.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Yes, make sure you use strong glass especially for sliding doors, because who knows if they are going to get jammed and u will try pulling them open roughly and they will break or something like that :p, not only is broken glass bad for humans, but if a Beardie were to get a hold of a piece of broken glass, it wouldn't be good, god forbid what would happen if the Beardie ate the piece :p

imsarah

Original Poster
Okay so I browsed the Home Depot today for tiles, grout mix, lighting, etc. I asked about the glass cutting and they said they don't :cry: but the guy suggested the glass shop too.

I was talking about it at work today and I was originally thinking of doing a sliding glass door but the more I think about it, I might just do a hinge door because I think I'd find that easier to do. And thats a good idea WarDaddy, I'll make the doorframe and take it down to be fitted with glass and maybe use aquarium sealant to seal it to the frame and put a hinge on the side. I'd like to make the entire thing dismantlable (is that a word?) for cleaning purposes. The floor of the table is open so I'm thinking of getting a thick board to just lay on the bottom frame that I can pull up and take out to clean, removable rock walls and just replace the whole back wall of the table with screen instead of fitting a vent.

Is there any reason I shouldn't just do grout all across the bottom instead of tile? I didn't really like the look of any of the tile I found, and cutting it to fit seems like it would require more skills than I have. I'd like to make it look as natural as possible without using sand. Grout looks just like hardened earth when its dry right? Couldn't I just paint it all across the floor of the enclosure and then seal it? Plus the tile was really heavy, I'd like to focus on keeping the enclosure as lightweight as possible. Why? No significant reason other than the fact I'm lazy and like to rearrange my furniture regularly :oops: haha. Plus I plan on using the same color grout to make the walls and caves, so yay if I could make it all match.

I'm so excited, I'm picking up the kids tomorrow!!! And then I can start getting my little project on its way! :D

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Sounds like you are going to have a kick butt Viv. You should post your project in the DIY ( do it yourself ) part of the forums and maybe even show us pictures along the way, would be cool to see this be constructed.

imsarah

Original Poster
Yeah, it looks pretty kick butt in my imagination. I just hope I can pull it off, haha. Another reason I want to make everything removeable... if I mess up, I can toss it and start over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom