Getting Geener to eat veggies

MotherofDragon

Beardie name(s)
Geener
My beardie has NEVER like fresh greens. When I got him he was about a month old and now he is a little over 3 years. Other than live bugs, all I can get him to eat is the dehydrated omnivore mix from petsmart (yes i rehydrate it with water and liquid calcium). Even then he picks out the dried bugs and leaves his veggies alone. I give him new food everyday but he only eats a couple times a week. Bearded dragons are notorious for being picky eaters but this seems too much. At his vet check up he was slightly underweight but otherwise healthy. How do I get him to eat his veggies??

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
When you first got him, did you frequently attempt to start him on veggies? If you can get his weight up to something a bit better, then it’s possible to cut back on bugs entirely, and only providing veggies. He will eventually take the veggies, since he’ll have no access to bugs. Only try that method when he’s at a much better weight.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can also get some bsfl and lure him to the bowl- you will need a ceramic or glass bowl w/ a lip so they can't get out - use as many as you want they are calcium enriched - drop them on fresh salads every morning in front of him-
www.symtonbsf.com
Order large please

jabda

Hatchling Member
I had the same problem...
Solution: I gave him only veggies, after a few days he realized that was all I was giving him.
His little evil mind was just like a small child. If I don't eat what he gives eventually he'll give me what I want.
He was training me... don't fall for it.

Pancake151

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cookie, Waffles
I had the same problem...
Solution: I gave him only veggies, after a few days he realized that was all I was giving him.
His little evil mind was just like a small child. If I don't eat what he gives eventually he'll give me what I want.
He was training me... don't fall for it.
You just have to keep persisting, eventually he’ll eat vegtables.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
My guy came to me three weeks ago from a poor situation. He is 19 months old and was never offered anything more than crickets in his early months and superworms in his later months. He was given calcium with vitamin D3. He went through a brumation and came out of it underweight. I have had three weeks to fatten him up on large dubia roaches with all his vitamin supplements. He looks much better now but won't eat anything more than dubia roaches and mango. I put greens in his habitat daily sprinkled with a bearded dragon salad dressing and bee pollen. Still turns up his nose. I am afraid to take away everything but the greens as he was not well fed when I rescued him. Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
My guy came to me three weeks ago from a poor situation. He is 19 months old and was never offered anything more than crickets in his early months and superworms in his later months. He was given calcium with vitamin D3. He went through a brumation and came out of it underweight. I have had three weeks to fatten him up on large dubia roaches with all his vitamin supplements. He looks much better now but won't eat anything more than dubia roaches and mango. I put greens in his habitat daily sprinkled with a bearded dragon salad dressing and bee pollen. Still turns up his nose. I am afraid to take away everything but the greens as he was not well fed when I rescued him. Any suggestions?
Please get him some BSFL large use them to put on top of his salads as lures -- you can feed as many as you want they are a good staple feeder do not dust them - silk worms are good to use they stick to every thing-- horn worms can be used they are a hydrating worm and a treat worm not a staple
www.reptilianarts.com
www.aafeeders.com
www.dubiaroaches.com
www.joshsfrogs.com they have butter worms they are a treat worm

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Thank you. What does BSFL stand for? Since he tasted the dubia roaches he will not touch a super worm. I will check on silk worms and horn worms. I get concerned about hydration as he does not drink his bath water. Also, his previous owner never bathed him. So he is experiencing a lot of firsts with me. He is my first lizard and I am trying to do everything correctly.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. What does BSFL stand for? Since he tasted the dubia roaches he will not touch a super worm. I will check on silk worms and horn worms. I get concerned about hydration as he does not drink his bath water. Also, his previous owner never bathed him. So he is experiencing a lot of firsts with me. He is my first lizard and I am trying to do everything correctly.
We will get you set up so your dragon will thrive --- Black Soldier Fly Larvae -- drop water on his nose or use a eye dropper - try once a week - most dragons get their water from salads that are rinsed before serving -
Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated kale is a great staple
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
What are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture - how are you getting surface basking temps? Stick ons are inaccurate you want 2 digital probe thermometers

jabda

Hatchling Member
Only one way to fix the problem. He's trained you. You're scared he'll die so you keep feeding him feeders. Had the same problem. Solution: feed him a salad. If he doesn't eat it throw it away. Next day fix another salad. Eventually he'll say mom's not giving up. I better eat it doesn't look like feeder are coming back. He won't die even if he goes a week +.
When he's eating salads, feed twice week feeders other days salads. He'll get a lot healthier.
At his age needs 80% veggies, 20% feeders. Good Luck

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
We will get you set up so your dragon will thrive --- Black Soldier Fly Larvae -- drop water on his nose or use a eye dropper - try once a week - most dragons get their water from salads that are rinsed before serving -
Nutrition Content ignore the kale info it is outdated kale is a great staple
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
What are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture - how are you getting surface basking temps? Stick ons are inaccurate you want 2 digital probe thermometers
Thank you. I have a bulb (not a long tube) reprising 10.0 26 watt for uvb. I have a 100 watt basking bulb. Basking end of 40 gallon tank is 95-100 degrees and cool end is about 85 degrees. I have digital probe thermometers. I will soon upgrade him to a Zeb habitat 120 gallon and will purchase a hood with a king tube light. Today he ate a small piece of carrot dusted in bee pollen. I will offer only greens/veggies until around 5:00 this afternoon when I will offer him Dubai roaches.

mshaverly

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Vhagara
Only one way to fix the problem. He's trained you. You're scared he'll die so you keep feeding him feeders. Had the same problem. Solution: feed him a salad. If he doesn't eat it throw it away. Next day fix another salad. Eventually he'll say mom's not giving up. I better eat it doesn't look like feeder are coming back. He won't die even if he goes a week +.
When he's eating salads, feed twice week feeders other days salads. He'll get a lot healthier.
At his age needs 80% veggies, 20% feeders. Good Luck
Thank you. Will do. I am a softy when it comes to my pets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you. I have a bulb (not a long tube) reprising 10.0 26 watt for uvb. I have a 100 watt basking bulb. Basking end of 40 gallon tank is 95-100 degrees and cool end is about 85 degrees. I have digital probe thermometers. I will soon upgrade him to a Zeb habitat 120 gallon and will purchase a hood with a king tube light. Today he ate a small piece of carrot dusted in bee pollen. I will offer only greens/veggies until around 5:00 this afternoon when I will offer him Dubai roaches.
Please get a long tube fixture for uvb- the coil is no good- if you need links I have 3 good ones

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom