Getting crickets out of cage

Lydstar

Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Hello!
New baby owner who has been petrified of all kinds of bugs/insects all her life. I bought the cricket keeper with the tubes but I just keep crushing them while trying to scoop them up
Any other long distance tools to help get the crickets from the cage to the enclosure?
I’m trying my hardest to not be so creeped out but it’s only been a week. I need more time! The bigger darker ones look like spiders. Ugh

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello!
New baby owner who has been petrified of all kinds of bugs/insects all her life. I bought the cricket keeper with the tubes but I just keep crushing them while trying to scoop them up
Any other long distance tools to help get the crickets from the cage to the enclosure?
I’m trying my hardest to not be so creeped out but it’s only been a week. I need more time! The bigger darker ones look like spiders. Ugh
Switch to dubia roaches- they are a better feeder and more nutritional - and they are not escape artist like crickets -- in the mean time use paper towel rolls in the holder and they will go inside that and then you can put the holder in the baggie w/ the dusting powder - then shake in the tank -

Lydstar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
thank you! That’s not a bad idea! I did order some roaches after research on here but I fear they may be worse looking than the crickets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
thank you! That’s not a bad idea! I did order some roaches after research on here but I fear they may be worse looking than the crickets.
Believe me they are not worse- I wasnt keen on feeding roaches either but after getting them and dealing w/ the crickets they are a lot better- I keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food w/ dubia dew/ crystals for hydration along w/ stuff I feed the dragons - I just dont feed carrots to both - feed one or the other - too much Vit A--

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Believe me they are not worse- I wasnt keen on feeding roaches either but after getting them and dealing w/ the crickets they are a lot better- I keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food w/ dubia dew/ crystals for hydration along w/ stuff I feed the dragons - I just dont feed carrots to both - feed one or the other - too much Vit A--
I agree W/ KarrieRee.
Crickets suck and are known to be more parasitic than other feeders....
Hard to keep when they're always hopping.

silkworms are becoming more common in the trade.
They are easy to breed, and you can end up with a lot of feeders.
Very healthy for beardies too.

Question:
Has anyone else had difficulties gut-loading they're Dubias...?
Let me know.
Thanks

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I fear they may be worse looking than the crickets.
i was like that with roaches at first, but then learned about how much better they are as feeders, ease of care, lack of smell, etc and switched over. they still "bug me" (ha ha) but the kid (she's 24) loves watching them so she is in charge of them. we've given her the nickname of "food mom" cause she handles feedings.

Question:
Has anyone else had difficulties gut-loading they're Dubias...?
Let me know.
Thanks
i never have. at lights out, whatever salad sir henry hasn't eaten goes into the roach bin. in the morning, it is usually gone, or just about gone. they also get dubia dew. on days there is no salad left at the end of the day, they get a small scoop of roach chow.

Pumpkingirl

Hello!
You should def switch to Dubia roaches. I’m the most arachnophobic person and crickets scared the crap out of me! The roaches are a game changer. They’re slow too

Lydstar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Nacho
Hello! I’ve successfully switched to dubias! You guys were so right much much easier than crickets! My baby is still not eating the recommended 20-25 insects a day but he definitely eats about 15 dubias compared to like 6 crickets. I had to go to the pet store yesterday to get dog food and walked by the reptile section they had large dubias… about how many large dubias will a full grown bearded dragon eat? The big ones are intimidating but I feel like if I can mentally prepare for the future 🤣

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hello! I’ve successfully switched to dubias! You guys were so right much much easier than crickets! My baby is still not eating the recommended 20-25 insects a day but he definitely eats about 15 dubias compared to like 6 crickets. I had to go to the pet store yesterday to get dog food and walked by the reptile section they had large dubias… about how many large dubias will a full grown bearded dragon eat? The big ones are intimidating but I feel like if I can mentally prepare for the future 🤣
Depends on how hungry they are up to 5 I would say at most -

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom