General diet questions!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T5 are stronger bulbs and they last longer. T8's need to replaced at 6 months t5's at 1 year. All in all t5 are better.
A 22 inch fixture it likely an 18 inch bulb. Most recommend a 24 inch fixture with a 22 inch bulb. But as long as your beardie has good access to it either will work.
Your screen determines where these UVB's go -- as posted earlier the T8's need to go inside the tank or no screen -- directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches - the Zilla fixture will take a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb please get one of those --- I think its a 18 inch bulb - the pet stores usually carry them - I would advise you upgrade eventually to a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb similar to the T 8-- or Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 24" you would need to change this bulb out to the Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you need more help please post

logann._

Original Poster
Your screen determines where these UVB's go -- as posted earlier the T8's need to go inside the tank or no screen -- directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches - the Zilla fixture will take a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 bulb please get one of those --- I think its a 18 inch bulb - the pet stores usually carry them - I would advise you upgrade eventually to a 24" Zoo Med w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb similar to the T 8-- or Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - or a Sunblaster Nano Tech 24" you would need to change this bulb out to the Reptisun 10.0 or the Arcadia 12% bulb --- if you need more help please post
So update, i did my research and ended up finding a store that had the Arcadia Pro T5 ( 24W) uvb kit and i went ahead and pulled the trigger. Now i just need help with the positioning:))

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So update, i did my research and ended up finding a store that had the Arcadia Pro T5 ( 24W) uvb kit and i went ahead and pulled the trigger. Now i just need help with the positioning:))
Please post a pic of your screen and I will help you get it placed

logann._

Original Poster

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It looks to be a fine mesh which means the UVB is going to need to be either inside the tank or unobstructed - can you take the screen off or cut it? UVB needs to be directly over a piece of basking decor w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --- your basking bulb is giving off a yellowish hue to it is it the camera? If its the bulb you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- examples are Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen- I see a analog thermometer in the tank is that the only way your getting basking temps? Please invest in 2 digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate for getting surface basking temps- also I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well -- placed on the back center wall of the tank --- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --

logann._

Original Poster
It looks to be a fine mesh which means the UVB is going to need to be either inside the tank or unobstructed - can you take the screen off or cut it? UVB needs to be directly over a piece of basking decor w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --- your basking bulb is giving off a yellowish hue to it is it the camera? If its the bulb you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb -- examples are Flukers -- Exo Terra Intense or a Arcadia Halogen- I see a analog thermometer in the tank is that the only way your getting basking temps? Please invest in 2 digital probe thermometers -- they are the most accurate for getting surface basking temps- also I would invest in a digital probe hygrometer as well -- placed on the back center wall of the tank --- optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% --
The screen comes off in two peices

logann._

Original Poster
I think what i did might work. I will attach a picture. I have a digital probe thermometer to get basking temps on the right side. It’s just out of the picture. The bulb definitely does have a yellowish tint to it, but it is a Flukers Bulb .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 44

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it a daytime Flukers or a regular basking bulb? I am using Flukers as well but mine do not give off that yellowish tint to it-- I will post a pic of my tank and you look at it -- it might be the camera

Attachments

• New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    New substrate Blaze 9-30-22.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 49

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your screen looks like its wide hole type --- from the other pic it looked like fine mesh can you post another pic of it from straight above please-- the more I look at it I do believe you can leave it on top please get a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches

logann._

Original Poster
Your screen looks like its wide hole type --- from the other pic it looked like fine mesh can you post another pic of it from straight above please-- the more I look at it I do believe you can leave it on top please get a piece of decor directly under it 8-10 inches
His basking bulb just went out as we speak, so I’m gonna have to go get another one, and I will see if they have a daytime one. The branch is coming out. I will post a picture of his basking spot without the branch. He also has his hammock where he can get closer if need be.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 49

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
His basking bulb just went out as we speak, so I’m gonna have to go get another one, and I will see if they have a daytime one. The branch is coming out. I will post a picture of his basking spot without the branch. He also has his hammock where he can get closer if need be.
No you dont want a daytime one --- they have this in them
Neodymium bulbs

the neodymium coating which is a rare earth mineral, decreases the CRI or Color Rendering Index which affects the overall brightness. It does this by
cutting the yellow color range out to make it appear brighter but since reptiles are very sensitive to light & can see more of the spectrum than we can it is best to use a bright white light for basking
instead.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The little tiki hut is cute --- you can get another Flukers bulb just get the regular basking bulb tho --- incandescent

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom