General diet questions!!

logann._

Just a couple quick questions.. This is my buddy spot. I believe he/she is around five months based off of size . However here recently he hasn’t been as interested in his greens. Vs a couple weeks ago he was all over them as soon as they were put in the tank. He is still very much interested in anything moving though. Im thinking it might have something to do with constipation? considering he hasn’t pooped in 2 days.. Thanks for any advice in advance!! Also, i think he is going to be pretty big based off of his size
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 63

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Just a couple quick questions.. This is my buddy spot. I believe he/she is around five months based off of size . However here recently he hasn’t been as interested in his greens. Vs a couple weeks ago he was all over them as soon as they were put in the tank. He is still very much interested in anything moving though. Im thinking it might have something to do with constipation? considering he hasn’t pooped in 2 days.. Thanks for any advice in advance!! Also, i think he is going to be pretty big based off of his size View attachment 76627
Spot looks young how old is he? -- what are you feeding? Insects? and greens? What are your surface basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please- and the UVB your using is a coil or a long tube fixture? We need to start here to rule the cause for the abrupt appetite --

logann._

Original Poster
Spot looks young how old is he? -- what are you feeding? Insects? and greens? What are your surface basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons please- and the UVB your using is a coil or a long tube fixture? We need to start here to rule the cause for the abrupt appetite --
I got him about 3 ish months ago. He was not a baby baby when i got him either. So right now i would say between 4-5 months. He measured in at 14 in the other day. Insect wise he gets crickets and super worms. Greens he’s getting kale/ Romanian hearts / collard greens. Basking temp stays around 90-95 degrees with a humidity of normally 30 to 35. Unfortunately they are stick on gauges. I do have a probe thermometer on the cool side of the tank which stays at 75-76. ( where his greens are ) the uvb is a coil . I have two separate domes ( one for the basking and one for the uvb) . I want to get the long one however the pet store near me cant seem to stock them .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I got him about 3 ish months ago. He was not a baby baby when i got him either. So right now i would say between 4-5 months. He measured in at 14 in the other day. Insect wise he gets crickets and super worms. Greens he’s getting kale/ Romanian hearts / collard greens. Basking temp stays around 90-95 degrees with a humidity of normally 30 to 35. Unfortunately they are stick on gauges. I do have a probe thermometer on the cool side of the tank which stays at 75-76. ( where his greens are ) the uvb is a coil . I have two separate domes ( one for the basking and one for the uvb) . I want to get the long one however the pet store near me cant seem to stock them .
Ok I am going to post websites for the UVB --- but please move the digital probe thermometer to the basking spot where he sits - you want a surface basking temp of 150-110 for now --- hes a baby still at 4-5 months --- at around 6 months that temp is going to change to around 95-110- he should be pooping every day right now -- as they get older the pooping will slow down but for now it should be at least once per day so I am thinking those surface basking temps are not hot enough to start the digestion going - now for the UVB we need to replace it w/ one of these
for a tank of 40 + gallon a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med 24" this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb good for small tank of 40 or less but you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for a tank of 40 gallon - keep the 5.0 bulb it can be used as a back up but placement and distance is different from the 10.0 bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or this it can be found at Pet Smart if you have one or order on line they are a good fixture and bulb 24 watt Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this fixture you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above Reptisun 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
placement and distance will be determined by the screen on the tank - please post when you get the UVB so I can help you get it placed for your tank -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Here us how to sex them *see photo)
Also work with Karrieree on your lights, your uvb is incorrect and will harm your beardie.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 49

logann._

Original Poster
Ok I am going to post websites for the UVB --- but please move the digital probe thermometer to the basking spot where he sits - you want a surface basking temp of 150-110 for now --- hes a baby still at 4-5 months --- at around 6 months that temp is going to change to around 95-110- he should be pooping every day right now -- as they get older the pooping will slow down but for now it should be at least once per day so I am thinking those surface basking temps are not hot enough to start the digestion going - now for the UVB we need to replace it w/ one of these
for a tank of 40 + gallon a 24" fixture like a Zoo Med 24" this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb good for small tank of 40 or less but you will need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb for a tank of 40 gallon - keep the 5.0 bulb it can be used as a back up but placement and distance is different from the 10.0 bulb Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO Hood Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or this it can be found at Pet Smart if you have one or order on line they are a good fixture and bulb 24 watt Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
or this fixture you will need to change the bulb out to the one posted above Reptisun 2 ft or 24" https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster-nanotech-t5-ho-fixture-with-6400k-lamp.html
placement and distance will be determined by the screen on the tank - please post when you get the UVB so I can help you get it placed for your tank -
What would you recommend for basking, i dont feel like these fixtures have enough power to supply that level of heat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What would you recommend for basking, i dont feel like these fixtures have enough power to supply that level of heat.
Look on the dome its going to tell you the wattage it can hold -
You need domes w/ a reflector that can accommodate the wattage
Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixture 8.5" Wide this one is spendy - see if you can find one some where else that can hold the 150 watt bulb
you can also try your farm stores that have these domes but for less cost - you want one w/ a reflector in it for the heat and wattage -- just make sure your using the digital probe thermometers when changing the wattage out on these bulbs please

logann._

Original Poster
Look on the dome its going to tell you the wattage it can hold -
You need domes w/ a reflector that can accommodate the wattage
Zoo Med Deep Dome Lamp Fixture 8.5" Wide this one is spendy - see if you can find one some where else that can hold the 150 watt bulb
you can also try your farm stores that have these domes but for less cost - you want one w/ a reflector in it for the heat and wattage -- just make sure your using the digital probe thermometers when changing the wattage out on these bulbs please
Dome says 660w. I believe the bulb is either 75-100

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Also. He soaked this morning for almost 30 minutes and still no bowl movement . Any other ways i can try and help him with that? ( stopping insects until he does??)
No - feed him some baby food pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey - that will make him poop- your dome is plenty wattage- you need the uvb -

logann._

Original Poster
No - feed him some baby food pumpkin w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey - that will make him poop- your dome is plenty wattage- you need the uvb -
Ok so update, he pooped later that day on his own.. however it was very runny and dark and now hasn’t pooped in a day and seems to be somewhat interested in the greens. Im going to attach a picture of a uvb light my pet store has . Please let me know what you think of it!

Attachments

• A19D7A87-B578-49CF-9B27-D8FD2A27792F.jpg
    A19D7A87-B578-49CF-9B27-D8FD2A27792F.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 63

logann._

Original Poster
Im also attaching a picture of his tank.. please let me know if anything sticks out to you? Im trying to eliminate all possible sources of his appetite change. This is my second beardy, however these issues are completely new to me. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 51

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The zilla lights come with a plastic cover over bulb, it's imperative you remove it, it blocks 100% of the uvb. You'll need a thin Phillips screwdriver to remove it, also the t8 isn't as strong as a t5, please mount it inside the habitat at 6 to 8 inches above your beardie.

logann._

Original Poster
The zilla lights come with a plastic cover over bulb, it's imperative you remove it, it blocks 100% of the uvb. You'll need a thin Phillips screwdriver to remove it, also the t8 isn't as strong as a t5, please mount it inside the habitat at 6 to 8 inches above your beardie.
So i should look for a t5 with a 22’’ fixture? Ps: i have a 40 gallon breeder currently.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
T5 are stronger bulbs and they last longer. T8's need to replaced at 6 months t5's at 1 year. All in all t5 are better.
A 22 inch fixture it likely an 18 inch bulb. Most recommend a 24 inch fixture with a 22 inch bulb. But as long as your beardie has good access to it either will work.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom