Gender?????

Ginjasnapz

Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I cannot figure out what gender my beardie is. I have been trying for a few weeks already. I have tried the shadow method with the light also and I don’t really see anything, but my beardie isn’t too cooperative. Is anyone able to tell from the pic I attached below??? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• F71BEA1F-F0DD-48FE-BF7B-1E66AF2B38C8.jpeg
    F71BEA1F-F0DD-48FE-BF7B-1E66AF2B38C8.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 172

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not quite sure from that photo. If you could post a few more with similar angle with sharper focus, that may help. You may also need to wait a little while for the identifying shapes to be more prominent.

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I know it’s so hard to tell. I will try to get more photos. What age do the features usually become prominent? Based on her length we were estimating she’s 3-4 month old. Is this too young to tell still??

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I know it’s so hard to tell. I will try to get more photos. What age do the features usually become prominent? Based on her length we were estimating she’s 3-4 month old. Is this too young to tell still??
it is to young to tell because when my beardie was about 3 months old they told us it was a boy and now shes 1 year and 1 and a half months old and she is a female but from the picture I would say its a male? I'm not really sure but are you able to post a picture of her in the dark and you can put a flashlight behind her tail if not then I really am not sure

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I meant to attach these new pics to this thread…..AHBD told me she looks female from these new pics!

Attachments

• 9DEAC68B-85BC-488D-AC38-7B51646E37A4.jpeg
    9DEAC68B-85BC-488D-AC38-7B51646E37A4.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1E348EE4-30D6-44E0-930B-2225667B9561.jpeg
    1E348EE4-30D6-44E0-930B-2225667B9561.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 93
  • EEE80E81-F0F9-405F-803D-19B3A365892F.jpeg
    EEE80E81-F0F9-405F-803D-19B3A365892F.jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 29474ABF-7591-447F-962F-7293E94A6128.jpeg
    29474ABF-7591-447F-962F-7293E94A6128.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 99

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I meant to attach these new pics to this thread…..AHBD told me she looks female from these new pics!
Yeah i would agree it does look like a female but its still tricky at this age because they haven't really developed there private area enough to know for sure but I'd say in about 3-4 months you could ask me again then you'd be able to like see for sure for sure

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I managed to get a shadow shot. It’s not the greatest. Also, she has like zebra patterning underneath her body too so some of that patterning is in the way. Is she still girl looking this way or boy??

Attachments

• 6EBC842D-AB72-4AD9-8960-F2E978AD7929.jpeg
    6EBC842D-AB72-4AD9-8960-F2E978AD7929.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 93
  • BAAF0AF0-B27D-4634-85F4-3D913BAD18CD.jpeg
    BAAF0AF0-B27D-4634-85F4-3D913BAD18CD.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 98

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I managed to get a shadow shot. It’s not the greatest. Also, she has like zebra patterning underneath her body too so some of that patterning is in the way. Is she still girl looking this way or boy??
a girl for sure! and that zebra patterning is called stress marks it comes when their cold, trying to get sun, or stressed

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I had no idea about those stress marks. I just thought that’s her patterning on her underside. Is that bad to have? She’s looked like that since I got her.

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
I had no idea about those stress marks. I just thought that’s her patterning on her underside. Is that bad to have? She’s looked like that since I got her.
im going to assume you just got her because yes that is definitely normal bc I know with my baby she had stress marks for a week after just getting her because its like if you were to get adopted and you might be stressed for a little while trying to get used to everything and my girl actually has them right now and that's because shes in the cooler area of the tank so if you see her having stress marks but she still looks alert don't worry at all its completely normal but if she has stress marks with her head low then shes super stress and that's when you should probably go to the vet especially if she stops eating with stress marks then shes most likely sick
(ignore the messy tank shes moving to her HUGE tank tomorrow)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-20 5.34.55 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-02-20 5.34.55 PM.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot 2022-02-20 5.34.42 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-02-20 5.34.42 PM.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 71

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
Yours is so cute!!!! I got her on January 8th so a little more than a month ago. Silly me just thought she was like a striped dragon lol. She’s very active and seems happy and eats well everyday. Maybe I have been stressing her out by bothering and trying to take all these pics to see her gender lol

mango_the_beardie

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mango
Yours is so cute!!!! I got her on January 8th so a little more than a month ago. Silly me just thought she was like a striped dragon lol. She’s very active and seems happy and eats well everyday. Maybe I have been stressing her out by bothering and trying to take all these pics to see her gender lol
i wouldn't be shocked lol and your not the only one when I got my beardie I was like "ooooooo she has stripes on her belly unlike other beardies" until I learned and thank you mango said thank you as well, but another thing is that if your beardie loves you (which can be hard to get them to do) then when you take her out she may have a ton of stress marks but the longer you hold her they will go away. and try your best to hold her for 15+ minutes everyday if you want a close bond with her

Ginjasnapz

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dexie
I want to be close with her and I try to hold her but she doesn’t seem to like it. Sometimes she will stay for a minute and then fights to break free 😞 she probably totally hates me now with all the bothering for picture taking lol She will eat foods from my hand though.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom