Gave my beardie a bath too soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadeB2000

Hello all!

I’m a new beardie owner and have lots of learning to do! I got my beardie on Friday and handled him once to put him in the cage. Then I handled him again yesterday (Monday) to put him in a separate container to eat his worms as per instructions from the pet store. Today I gave him a bath. He seemed a bit stressed so it was just a short one—5-10 mins. He was breathing a little fast and when I went to take him out of the bath and he sat in my palm he let out a lil noise? Didn’t sound like a hiss but I’m sure juveniles don’t make big hiss noises to begin with. Kinda sounded somewhere between a yawn and a burp? What I’m wondering is if my mistake is fatal to gaining his trust as I think I bathed him a little too soon. If so, how can I remedy the situation? Shall I refrain from handling him for a few days? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would not give him another bath for now-- dragons get most of their hydration from the salads they eat --- rinse the greens before serving -- get some BSFL order the size no bigger than the space between their eyes length wise - DO NOT dust them www.symtonbsf.com -- add them to the salad in front of him so it gets his attention --- feed as many as you want as they are a great staple feeder and make a good compliment to the main staple feeder -- do this first thing in the morning -- make sure your using a digital probe thermometer for basking temps and a good UVB NO coils --- if you need more help or have more questions please ask

JadeB2000

Original Poster
Thank you! You’ve been really helpful! Do you think I will still be able to gain his trust and hopefully affections eventually? Any tips for gaining trust ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it will take time but patience w/ him -- work everyday little time periods getting your hand in the tank petting him etc- hand feed those bsfl before you add to his salads- place a piece of clothing w/ your smell on it or a little piece of fleece blanket in his hide he will know your scent then - depending on his personality it may take a while or it may not- he will haft to learn your trust-

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You will be fine with him, he will bond with you more quickly than you realize! They are very
forgiving. A lot of them get stressed over baths but he might get over his fear of them so just
be patient with him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom