Gasping/convulsing???

Can anyone help? Our beardie has been doing this for 40 minutes now. We have absolutely no idea why and we don’t know how to help him. He’s had
some diarrhea but other than that he’s been fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated we don’t want to watch him suffer 😭

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He looks like he is in dire distress, bless him. Did he have any type of issues leading up to this
behavior?
Could he have ingested something toxic?
I would recommend trying to get him into a vet, as soon as possible. He may have developed a
respiratory infection, or ingested something toxic.
Can you review your tank setup & supplementation, etc so we can be sure everything is all correct
with that, too?
For now, keep him calm overnight & if possible, around 75-80 to keep his system boosted.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

PuffTheDwarfMagicDragon

Original Poster
Hello,

He looks like he is in dire distress, bless him. Did he have any type of issues leading up to this
behavior?
Could he have ingested something toxic?
I would recommend trying to get him into a vet, as soon as possible. He may have developed a
respiratory infection, or ingested something toxic.
Can you review your tank setup & supplementation, etc so we can be sure everything is all correct
with that, too?
For now, keep him calm overnight & if possible, around 75-80 to keep his system boosted.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Thank you so much for your reply. After about an hour of this distress, the convulsing stopped and he pooped - then was just fine 😳
Thank goodness. We plan on getting him to a vet anyway just to be sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for your reply. After about an hour of this distress, the convulsing stopped and he pooped - then was just fine 😳
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them? NO stick ons please and your UVB this is crucial -- NO coils please -- and when taking him to the vet NO enemas -- they can often end in disaster -- take a fecal w/ you or take one back in ---- Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is good news for your boy!
Were you getting him to the vet this week? Could he have eaten something toxic?
I am glad that he is doing a lot better.

Tracie

PuffTheDwarfMagicDragon

Original Poster
Please go over the surface basking temps and how your taking them? NO stick ons please and your UVB this is crucial -- NO coils please -- and when taking him to the vet NO enemas -- they can often end in disaster -- take a fecal w/ you or take one back in ---- Beware of vets giving enemas to your dragon | Beardie ER | Bearded Dragon .org
He’s 6 1/2 years old and we’ve never seen anything like this before. Nothing has changed - basking spot is at 105 degrees, uvb is a 36” zoo med reptisun 10.0 strip light. Vet gave him a clean bill of health - other than being treated for parasites. Turns out he’s also a girl LOL! Thanks for your reply. My daughter gave him banana 3 days in a row and we are guessing that’s what caused the constipation 🤦🏼‍♀️ Thankfully he is doing well now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s 6 1/2 years old and we’ve never seen anything like this before. Nothing has changed - basking spot is at 105 degrees, uvb is a 36” zoo med reptisun 10.0 strip light. Vet gave him a clean bill of health - other than being treated for parasites. Turns out he’s also a girl LOL! Thanks for your reply. My daughter gave him banana 3 days in a row and we are guessing that’s what caused the constipation 🤦🏼‍♀️ Thankfully he is doing well now.
Yep please no more banana- how long is he basking at that temps-- most adult dragons do not like that warm of a temp usually 95-100- also where is the uvb placed? Inside tank or top of screen? Please take a fecal w/ you to the vet please no enemas they often end disaster

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH, so he is actually a she? How is she doing?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is a nice bulb. Be sure it is mounted underneath of the screen top, if
possible for maximum UVB exposure. It can be 6-8 inches from her, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

PuffTheDwarfMagicDragon

Original Poster
Hello,

OH, so he is actually a she? How is she doing?
The Reptisun 10 tube bulb is a nice bulb. Be sure it is mounted underneath of the screen top, if
possible for maximum UVB exposure. It can be 6-8 inches from her, too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
Hi! She is actually doing great! (We’ve had her to a vet in the past and were told he was a he - now this vet is saying a she… not quite sure how a vet can mess that up on an adult beardie…)
As for the uvb - we have the zoo med reptisun fixture - do you know if is there a way to attach it under the screen? It didn’t come with anything to do that so I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks!
Genie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hi! She is actually doing great! (We’ve had her to a vet in the past and were told he was a he - now this vet is saying a she… not quite sure how a vet can mess that up on an adult beardie…)
As for the uvb - we have the zoo med reptisun fixture - do you know if is there a way to attach it under the screen? It didn’t come with anything to do that so I’m not sure how to go about it.

Thanks!
Genie
You can use these things to hang in the tank 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties or fishing line - what bulb is it? T 5 or a T 8 they have different distance for them

PuffTheDwarfMagicDragon

Original Poster
You can use these things to hang in the tank 3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties or fishing line - what bulb is it? T 5 or a T 8 they have different distance for them
We are using the T5 but I am unsure if our new enclosure has a place to thread the cord through the wall of the terrarium (literally received it yesterday and haven’t put it together yet - it’s a 48”x24”x24”. It’s the ecoflex Mojave terrarium - I found them both on chewy and Amazon. I’ll check that out when I put it together today. Thanks so much! It’s got a screen top so using zip ties or something similar shouldn’t be an issue provided I have a way to get the cord outside…

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
We are using the T5 but I am unsure if our new enclosure has a place to thread the cord through the wall of the terrarium (literally received it yesterday and haven’t put it together yet - it’s a 48”x24”x24”. It’s the ecoflex Mojave terrarium - I found them both on chewy and Amazon. I’ll check that out when I put it together today. Thanks so much! It’s got a screen top so using zip ties or something similar shouldn’t be an issue provided I have a way to get the cord outside…
Distance should be 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can cut a slot in the screen big enough to push the cord through, thats how i did mine. If you have good scissors they should cut the screen, its safer than using a knife.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom