Gaping

Buzz24

So my beardie has been gaping a lot lately even when he’s not basking. Like it’ll be for about 15-30 seconds then he’ll close his mouth. I’m not sure if there’s a reason as to why he’s doing that so often. It’s been for the past few days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So my beardie has been gaping a lot lately even when he’s not basking. Like it’ll be for about 15-30 seconds then he’ll close his mouth. I’m not sure if there’s a reason as to why he’s doing that so often. It’s been for the past few days.
Please go over your lighting set up-- basking surface temps and how your taking them and your UVB -- coil or a tube please and where its placed in the tank for a tube fixture -- its common for them to gape that is them adjusting their temp--- but we need to see if there another reason shes doing it so often - so temps and UVB are always asked first so we can rule that out -- also do you have a hygrometer in the tank and what is the humidity level ?

Buzz24

Original Poster
Please go over your lighting set up-- basking surface temps and how your taking them and your UVB -- coil or a tube please and where its placed in the tank for a tube fixture -- its common for them to gape that is them adjusting their temp--- but we need to see if there another reason shes doing it so often - so temps and UVB are always asked first so we can rule that out -- also do you have a hygrometer in the tank and what is the humidity level ?
I just bought a new uv bulb because the other one was old and needed replaced so idk if that had something to do with it. I don’t keep track of humidity level. I look into getting a hygrometer for sure! The temps in the tank are always perfect. He has his doctors appointment next Friday for a check up. He’s also been very antsy lately and was jumping at the uv light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just bought a new uv bulb because the other one was old and needed replaced so idk if that had something to do with it. I don’t keep track of humidity level. I look into getting a hygrometer for sure! The temps in the tank are always perfect. He has his doctors appointment next Friday for a check up. He’s also been very antsy lately and was jumping at the uv light
place the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- please go over the lighting and temps -- UVB bulbs expire and if your using a coil they are inadequate especially in a tank 40 gallons -or more -- they are no good - please post when you can

Buzz24

Original Poster
place the probe on the back center wall of the tank -- please go over the lighting and temps -- UVB bulbs expire and if your using a coil they are inadequate especially in a tank 40 gallons -or more -- they are no good - please post when you can
thought i’d give an update. he was being a brat. he’s stopped the gaping and hasn’t jumped at the light since it’s been replaced. he had a very small amount of parasites a 2+ i believe and the vet gave him medication. vet said that my baby looks really good. ☺️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
thought i’d give an update. he was being a brat. he’s stopped the gaping and hasn’t jumped at the light since it’s been replaced. he had a very small amount of parasites a 2+ i believe and the vet gave him medication. vet said that my baby looks really good. ☺️
Replaced the light? What light did you replace and what brand and bulb if it was the UVB? These UVB's have certain placement and distance if you went w/ a long tube fixture --

Buzz24

Original Poster
Replaced the light? What light did you replace and what brand and bulb if it was the UVB? These UVB's have certain placement and distance if you went w/ a long tube fixture --
i replaced the uvb light. i use the

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp, 24-watt​

and it is placed inside the tank since the holes in the screen are too small

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i replaced the uvb light. i use the

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Reptile Terrarium Lamp, 24-watt​

and it is placed inside the tank since the holes in the screen are too small
Excellent -- you have a piece of decor under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --? How has the behavior been since replacing - she eating more ? better colors?

Buzz24

Original Poster
Excellent -- you have a piece of decor under it w/ a distance of 12-15 inches --? How has the behavior been since replacing - she eating more ? better colors?
yes i have two different types of logs underneath it. and he never lost his appetite lol he’s a chunk. i just bought new pollen to help with him eating greens because he’s a real stubborn with those. and yeah his colors are good. his beard is never really black

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes i have two different types of logs underneath it. and he never lost his appetite lol he’s a chunk. i just bought new pollen to help with him eating greens because he’s a real stubborn with those. and yeah his colors are good. his beard is never really black
Ok I was talking about the scales - they tend to get brighter when they have good UVB -- get some BSFL and add to the tops of his salads - use them as a lure to the bowl - feed as many as you want they are small and another staple feeder - you will need a bowl something like this to keep them in it https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Drop them in the bowl right in front of him --
www.symtonbsf.com
use super worms as well 1-3 add them as well in front of him - horn worms are good those I would recommend getting them from www.dubiaroaches.com they have nice horn worms -- 1-2 of those

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a great UVB light. Does he
seem to like it? It should really help out his appetite, too. Let us know how things are going.
They are definitely stubborn with their greens!

Tracie

Buzz24

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today? The Reptisun 10 T5 tube is a great UVB light. Does he
seem to like it? It should really help out his appetite, too. Let us know how things are going.
They are definitely stubborn with their greens!

Tracie
he’s really good. he’s just a stubborn butt. i got some bee pollen which is helping with the greens. he’s great now. ☺️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great, yes, they definitely do get stubborn for sure! Maybe the bee pollen will help him
out with his appetite.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom