FYI - "Wild" Brumation Behavior

Jes

Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
I would invest in a digital probe thermometer -- hammocks if your using one IR guns cannot read off of them and or certain materials basking decor is made out of- to me he is not of good enough weight to go thru brumation - he may just be reacting to the weather as well --- keep an eye on him for that type of behavior tho -- what are you feeding for insects?
I do have a digital probe thermometer with the probe placed on one basking spot but he doesn't only bask there, that's why I gave different temps. He eats roaches, nutrigrubs and crickets. Also large salad made of turnip greens, dandelion greens, yellow squash,bell peppers and, as a treat, a blueberry.
I took him out of his cave on warm side of tank and he stayed on his hammock for a while, now he is in his cave on cool side of tank. Should I just keep taking him out? I do live in Vermont so it should be getting colder however it has been in the high 50s and 60s for the last week. Do the outside Temps affect beardies if they are in a controlled (Temps and humidity) environment? I guess it probably does if they go into brumation.
Honestly everything seems normal except the cave dwelling and sleeping during day in cave. Up to now he hasn't even gone into the caves except to get a runaway cricket.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I do have a digital probe thermometer with the probe placed on one basking spot but he doesn't only bask there, that's why I gave different temps. He eats roaches, nutrigrubs and crickets. Also large salad made of turnip greens, dandelion greens, yellow squash,bell peppers and, as a treat, a blueberry.
I took him out of his cave on warm side of tank and he stayed on his hammock for a while, now he is in his cave on cool side of tank. Should I just keep taking him out? I do live in Vermont so it should be getting colder however it has been in the high 50s and 60s for the last week. Do the outside Temps affect beardies if they are in a controlled (Temps and humidity) environment? I guess it probably does if they go into brumation.
Honestly everything seems normal except the cave dwelling and sleeping during day in cave. Up to now he hasn't even gone into the caves except to get a runaway cricket.
I would let him do his thing-- Blaze did the same thing to me when I got him he was around 5 months by the time fall hit- sleepy and in his cave -- as long as hes eating basking and pooping hes good - yes they can detect a change in the weather --

Jes

Beardie name(s)
Obidiah
I would let him do his thing-- Blaze did the same thing to me when I got him he was around 5 months by the time fall hit- sleepy and in his cave -- as long as hes eating basking and pooping hes good - yes they can detect a change in the weather --
OK thanks you've eased my mind! Thanks for your help!!!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
We all know I was going to freak out no matter what. Thank goodness Rocky is a boy...could you imagine if my beardie was having a clutch? I know I would be kicked off this site!
In fairness, I warned everyone I wouldn't be able to handle it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
We all know I was going to freak out no matter what. Thank goodness Rocky is a boy...could you imagine if my beardie was having a clutch? I know I would be kicked off this site!
In fairness, I warned everyone I wouldn't be able to handle it.
Na not kicked off, but instead of a link to reptile vets, we might post a link to a shrink lmao 😆 🤣 😂 (just poking fun)

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Na not kicked off, but instead of a link to reptile vets, we might post a link to a shrink lmao 😆 🤣 😂 (just poking fun)
You may actually be on to something! I can use all the help that I can get. I am having abandonment issues as we type...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would be the same way lol, i couldn't imagine being able to see my beardies and not be able to get them out. Luckily Zen never does a full brumation he just gets nappy which in turn makes him more snuggly 😁

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom