Future New Beardie owner welcomes all tips

Talldude6ft7

My sons and I do not have a beardie yet, but we have been talking about it and are getting ready to make the move. I am 39 years old and have wanted one for many years but have never done it. Before we choose our BD, I want to have everything we need, setup, and ready to go before we ever bring one home.
I'm making a checklist of items, many of which I have found on these forums. I will be getting a 4x2x2 as I don't want to have to completely change up its home just a couple of months down the road. So, thank you for your time and any tips/suggestions you send my way. I'm extremely excited to get this new family memeber.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My sons and I do not have a beardie yet, but we have been talking about it and are getting ready to make the move. I am 39 years old and have wanted one for many years but have never done it. Before we choose our BD, I want to have everything we need, setup, and ready to go before we ever bring one home.
I'm making a checklist of items, many of which I have found on these forums. I will be getting a 4x2x2 as I don't want to have to completely change up its home just a couple of months down the road. So, thank you for your time and any tips/suggestions you send my way. I'm extremely excited to get this new family memeber.
If your getting a baby I recommend you cut the tank in 1/2 -- he will be alot easier to care for in a smaller area till hes about 5 months old or so- I am assuming you looked at the basic things you need ? UVB should be in the tank and directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches for a Arcadia 12% bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- basking bulbs can sit on top of the screen and you want 2 digital probe thermometers - one for the surface basking temps- babies up to 5-6 months old 105-110 - 6 months and up 95-100-- you want 3 temps in the tank 80's cool side 90's middle of tank and then your surface basking temps- I would recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med makes them - placed on center back wall of the tank - optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%- please ask for more help if you need it

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Take your time and pick a beardie that calls out to you, if you have someplace locally where you can go in and spend time just watching. Try to avoid the chain stores, if you can. If you have the opportunity to just watch the dragons they have you will see what i mean about calls out to you. They all have different personalities. There is ALWAYS one ...... you'll see 😀😀

Talldude6ft7

Original Poster
If your getting a baby I recommend you cut the tank in 1/2 -- he will be alot easier to care for in a smaller area till hes about 5 months old or so- I am assuming you looked at the basic things you need ? UVB should be in the tank and directly above the basking decor 12-15 inches for a Arcadia 12% bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 -- basking bulbs can sit on top of the screen and you want 2 digital probe thermometers - one for the surface basking temps- babies up to 5-6 months old 105-110 - 6 months and up 95-100-- you want 3 temps in the tank 80's cool side 90's middle of tank and then your surface basking temps- I would recommend getting a digital probe hygrometer Zoo Med makes them - placed on center back wall of the tank - optimal humidity 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70%- please ask for more help if you need it
Thank you for the suggestions. I have a list of all the basic things I need to get. I am not going to rush the process of making sure I have everything. I still plan on buying the bigger home, but I may partition a section of it off and open it up when it gets bigger to make it easier to care for as you say.

Talldude6ft7

Original Poster
Take your time and pick a beardie that calls out to you, if you have someplace locally where you can go in and spend time just watching. Try to avoid the chain stores, if you can. If you have the opportunity to just watch the dragons they have you will see what i mean about calls out to you. They all have different personalities. There is ALWAYS one ...... you'll see 😀😀
Thank you. I'm trying to stay away from the chain stores but I'm having a hard time finding anything that wouldn't be chain store in my area.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
You've come to the right place for support and resources. We love people who don't make rush decisions as your life is about to change forever....for the better. I'm just the cheerleader from the back...everything said before me is key.
The health is most important before all the "cute" stuff and I see that you are 6'7....you have to be mindful of how/where you stand (at the very least until it gets to know you). Beardies are the most interesting creatures that I've ever learned.
Everything is a process- babies care is different than juvenile care vs adult care so start there as well. This is pertaining to lights and food.
I recommend browsing the site, read stories and use the search feature for whatever comes to mind. You've got this and we welcome you to the family!

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Great advice from everyone! I’ll say that when you do get him/her home, don’t over feed them on the first couple of days. They’ll be stressed out and getting used to a new environment. I’ve seen lots of posts saying that their baby beardie ate lots the first day then not so much or even stopped eating later. The breeder I got mine from also told me to go slow on the feeding during the first week. Maybe 5 small roaches day 1, 7 roaches day 2, so on and just make sure they are eating and hydrated.

Excited to see your new beardie! This forum is very helpful if you’re ever unsure about anything just ask 😄

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom