Fussy Feeder Frank! (It's all my fault!)

kav

Frank is our 2.5 year old male Bearded Dragon. We got him as a rescue at 9 months. We've had quite the journey with Frank and food. Early on he got sick (took him to the vet and tested positive for Pinworm and Coccidian). We solved that with medication and correct husbandry (thanks to this forum) and he's been well ever since. But Frank has always been a fussy eater. To get him through the recovery I syringe fed him to keep his weight stable until he started feeding on his own. He would only eat bugs (Worms and Crickets), no greens. I put this down to Frank being a juvenile but now he's an adult he still will not touch his greens. I want to get Frank on a balanced healthy diet. His enclosure is 4' x 2' x 2' and has plenty of UVB that we change every 6 months. His basking spot is on a digital thermostat at a constant 96 degrees.

For the few months we have have followed a strict feeding routine. Frank is offered a salad everyday (which we mix up trying to understand what Frank likes) and dusted Dubia roaches twice a week. Superworms are a treat only and we are keeping them away at the moment as Frank will easily eat nothing else. Crickets are a nightmare to keep for us, the noise, the smell and keeping them alive. Frank will never touch his salads and will eat maybe 2 or 3 Dubia roaches from his bowl.

I feel like we are to blame for Franks Fussy eating, we got him into some bad habits during his recovery and confused him on what to eat. How do I correct this? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks

-Paul & Lily.

IMG_0931.JPG

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Frank is our 2.5 year old male Bearded Dragon. We got him as a rescue at 9 months. We've had quite the journey with Frank and food. Early on he got sick (took him to the vet and tested positive for Pinworm and Coccidian). We solved that with medication and correct husbandry (thanks to this forum) and he's been well ever since. But Frank has always been a fussy eater. To get him through the recovery I syringe fed him to keep his weight stable until he started feeding on his own. He would only eat bugs (Worms and Crickets), no greens. I put this down to Frank being a juvenile but now he's an adult he still will not touch his greens. I want to get Frank on a balanced healthy diet. His enclosure is 4' x 2' x 2' and has plenty of UVB that we change every 6 months. His basking spot is on a digital thermostat at a constant 96 degrees.

For the few months we have have followed a strict feeding routine. Frank is offered a salad everyday (which we mix up trying to understand what Frank likes) and dusted Dubia roaches twice a week. Superworms are a treat only and we are keeping them away at the moment as Frank will easily eat nothing else. Crickets are a nightmare to keep for us, the noise, the smell and keeping them alive. Frank will never touch his salads and will eat maybe 2 or 3 Dubia roaches from his bowl.

I feel like we are to blame for Franks Fussy eating, we got him into some bad habits during his recovery and confused him on what to eat. How do I correct this? I'm running out of ideas.

Thanks

-Paul & Lily.

View attachment 78284
MMMMM yummy!!! Have you tried BSFL on the salads? Silk worms on the salads?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Believe me your not alone in your struggles, all of us go through this at times.
Maybe do like Karrieree suggestioned and switch up hid bugs 🐛 most will go crazy for hornworms and silkworms.as far as the salad, most of us struggle to get them to eat it.

nmoore88

Beardie name(s)
George and Pip
I struggled with my beardie for years with getting her to eat salad. I got her used to hand feeding and treats which was entirely my fault. The only way I could get her to eat greens was by hand feeding her leaves, waving it close to her to get her attention. Some days she would go ahead and eat it herself but we are talking one to two mouthfuls. I tried putting bright colour fruits etc ontop of the salad and live food mixed with it but nothing ever got her loving it. Hand feeding it was the only way I could win
I wish you luck 🙏 lol

kav

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try Silk Worms and Black Soldier Fly Larvae in the salads and see how that goes.

What about tough love? Only offering salads for a long period of time?

Truthfully I think Frank would starve to death before he ate any salad! :ROFLMAO:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try Silk Worms and Black Soldier Fly Larvae in the salads and see how that goes.

What about tough love? Only offering salads for a long period of time?

Truthfully I think Frank would starve to death before he ate any salad! :ROFLMAO:
No he wont starve himself --- mine didnt eat salads for years he is now 5 and has started eating them on a regular basis- I just kept putting them in his tank w/ super worms or horn worms on top of them and being persistent on feeding the salads --

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom