Funny Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flndr

I just have to share this with you all. Yes I'm new to the site and still plan on posting pics of my Beardie. .....
Ok long story short,
Sally (My Beardie) is almost a year old and I have learned alot from this site, but the BEST thing I have learned/did was switch from nasty smelly crickets to Dubia Roaches.

So some back ground about the funny part ...... My wife is a Pest Control Tech and me even bringing up starting a Roach Colony was like asking the devil for a glass of water. Well the more I read the forums about crickets vers Dubia, I just had to get some and see for myself. Well I got the nerve up to ask my wife about trying Dubia out. :banghead: That was not the right way to ask her. She responded within 2 seconds with NO. She said "There is no way i will ever live in a house with roaches."

So I gave up on the idea. But then 1 week later my shipment of crickets arrived in the mail. When I opened the box and the smell hit me, :puke: all I could think about was .... I must find a new staple. So back to the forums I go .... reading....reading. :study:..researching...reading.... OH whats this :twisted: Someone passed Dubia Roaches off as Beatles... "Hey sweetheart can we try using "Beatles" as a staple?" and it worked for them passing Dubia off as Beatles :twisted: .

So I go to my wife and ask about trying beatles as a staple. Low and behold ..... she replies I guess we can :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8: Of course I'm excited to rush to http://theroachguy.com/ to get my starter kit. (I have read nothing but good things about Jason and his service.) Well I wait until my wife goes to bed (didn't want her to see the Dubia pictures on http://theroachguy.com/. I begin to place my order ....... and that's when it hits me :banghead: I can not order "Beatles" from the internet. Paypal will send a copy of the order to my e-mail (and my wife will see ...Paid $xx.xx dollars to http://theroachguy.com/ ) and then I would be stuck explaining why I ordered Dubia Roaches. :help:

So I brain storm some. :idea: :twisted: I E-Mail Jason at http://theroachguy.com/ and explain my problem. Jason responds with :twisted: Send a money order :twisted:

So I order my starter kit from Jason with a money order. :twisted: And my Roaches arrive. ...... :headbang: And with all the information on the forums; I set up my new Dubia in the basement (wife never goes down there) and then my wife comes home and I tell her about are "Beatles" arriving. My wife could care less and goes about her normal day. :blob5: :blob8: I WIN.

So I try feeding Sally a few Dubia ..... WOW I have never seen her so excited about eating before. Sally had eyeballed me dusting them and was doing the glass dance trying to break out of her viv to get to the Dubia. Needless to say she likes them.

A few weeks go by and I begin to notice Sally has lost all interest in crickets (think she likes the Dubia more). To get her to eat a cricket, I have to hold them and wave them in front of her face. Pretty much have to hand feed her crickets. But if I show her a Dubia she will run at top speed just to get it.

So now its close to having to order more Dubia since my colony just started having babies but isn't stable enough to feed out of and my wife has seen me feeding Sally crickets by hand and said "why don't you just buy some more Beatles?"

So tell wife about the "Beatles" being Dubia Roaches ? or Ask Jason at http://theroachguy.com/ if he can send more Dubia, if I pay with a money order again ?
Well I think a few months of calling the Dubia Roaches cute little non smelling, non climbing, great stable "Beatles" is enough. So I gather the strength to break the news to my wife that the colony of "Beatles" in the basement are really Dubia Roaches. .......My wife scream's and jump's into the air...... After I peal my wife off the ceiling.... She is a little upset :angry5: . But I explain to her that they have been here for months, no escapes, no smell, Sally loves them and they are better for her than crickets. My wife says nothing ...........(Has that look on her face like she is thinking really hard).........then my wife says "I guess there not like the roaches I kill for work, and if you and Sally like them so much, they can stay BUT I will not touch them EVER !"

So to end my story ........... If you hate the smell of crickets, hate the fact that they die faster than you can feed them off, hate that they eat alot, Please consider Dubia Roaches you will thank me. And If you do plan on trying Dubia, I HIGHLY recommend Jason at http://theroachguy.com/, he helped me with every question I had.

............ I will try to update this "story" if my wife ever falls in love with the Dubia as much as I have, and I catch her watching, touching or feeding the Dubia....................

MIssAnn

Great story.

After swearing I would NEVER pay money to have roaches in my house. (When I pay money to get rid of the pesky little things.) I ordered a few to see if my babies liked them. They gobbled them up like crazy. I just placed an order for a kit from Jason. I am soooooo freaked out by roaches. But these do not bother me. I still don't want to touch them. But, Anything for the health of my dragons. I don't want to not only deal with the smell or escaped of crickets anymore but no more worries of crickets and their parasites. O and let's not forget the annoying chirping. :banghead:

I guess us beardie slaves :whip: will go to any length so make sure our babies are well taken care of. Even if it means bring roaches into our homes. :D

Must tell:
Yesterday I was cleaning out cabinets in my kitchen. I lifted a bowl and what do I see. :shock: A cockroach (wood roach) staring me in the eyes. All of a sudden this thing comes straight for me jumps out of cabinet and almost lands on me. :bleick: I almost fell out of the chair I was standing on. He lands on my counter so I swat him into the sink and proceed to drown him. I am freakin out at this point just thinking about this thing almost touching me. After all is said and done. I scoop him out of sink throw him away and start laughing. Here I am panicing over this roach. When just in the other room I have about 50 of them. (with about 160 more on the way) I had not too long just got through cleaning their tub, feeding them greens, roach chow and water gel. Such good care I am trying to take of these "roaches".

Just a little ironic that I am petrified of a cockroach and I take such good care of "dubia roaches". :dontknow:
Just had to share.

Good luck with the Dubia! Your wife will come around. I did! lol

daddyburgi

Extreme Poster
Great story. I love the idea of her working in the pest control with roaches at home. I know someone that started their roach colony with the help of someone in pest control. he friend was going to go take care of a building that was invested with Madagascar hissing cockroaches and they asked their friend to catch a few for them. But great story and congrats on the roaches.

Mommy of Sunny

Juvie Member
I am getting a bit tired of the crickets, but don't know if I can "go" to the roaches...HELP ME!!!

How do you store them? I have my crickets in a big plastic bin with a screen on the stop. Now that Sunny is eating the 3/4 inch crickets, it is harder to handle them. Every time I open the bin, I have to be careful not to let any jump out.

I just can't get past the roach thing....

Maybe I should just get a few at the store and see if I can stand them. Do they sell them at Petco, Petsmart, or any other pet store? Or do you have to get them on-line?

Dmatt

Maybe I should just get a few at the store and see if I can stand them. Do they sell them at Petco, Petsmart, or any other pet store? Or do you have to get them on-line?

Nope ya gotta get em online as far as I know

I finally got them and I have an aversion to anything that crawls. I HATE crickets! BUT I love the Dubias. They remind me of big Roly Polies. They are in a rubbermaid bucket with a screen.

No mess, no smell, no escapees, no noise. I can't wait til there are enough to feed from.

The last batch of crickets I bought at least half were dead and rotting.! GROSS!

patrickb

Juvie Member
Mommy of Sunny":bb874 said:
I am getting a bit tired of the crickets, but don't know if I can "go" to the roaches...HELP ME!!!

How do you store them? I have my crickets in a big plastic bin with a screen on the stop. Now that Sunny is eating the 3/4 inch crickets, it is harder to handle them. Every time I open the bin, I have to be careful not to let any jump out.

I just can't get past the roach thing....

Well, unlike the crickets, you won't have to worry about them jumping out of the bin. You can keep them in that same plastic bin with no worries. As a matter of fact, when you open it, they will play nice and go hide from you. :p Consequently, "storing" them is the same you need to do for breeding. Keep them fed and watered, temps around the 80-90 degree mark and they will breed. Say goodbye to buying feeders again.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Flndr":2c8c3 said:
............ I will try to update this "story" if my wife ever falls in love with the Dubia as much as I have, and I catch her watching, touching or feeding the Dubia....................
Awesome story! I could only imagine the look on her face when she found out they were roaches. I can't wait for the update on her playing with them. Might be a year or two considering she never paid any attention to them before, but curiousity did kill the cat. :p

stephenrose06

Hatchling Member
ya I was worried myself, I ended up bugging my family all the time, little by little and finally got permission to keep them in the garage. Although I figure if nobody else is in the house I can keep them in my room for warmer temps. And I much prefer Roaches to crickets. Especially since I can take a roach and flip it upside down on its back and there it stays till Draco wants to eat it, instead of a cricket that jumps around everywhere.

Flndr

Original Poster
LJean":72bdc said:
What a great story! I laughed... I kept saying, "Oh, please don't tell her!"
But I'm much happier that I did tell her. I don't have to sneak down to the basement and watch my new little pets. I can just walk down at my own pace lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom