Full black beard and sleeping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi my baby is about two years old and he has never acted like this before. For the past day and till now he has had a full jet black beard and is sleeping or laying down with his eyes closed wherever he is. He sometimes opens his eyes a bit but then closes them again. even if I pick him up he is not moving. This past summer he was brumating a lot but he has eaten and yesterday he pooped a small amount but his pee tablet thing did not look yellow. I don't know what is happening and I am really worried. He won't even bask or eat. He just lays there and I can put him on his back like nothing and he never let me do that before. I have felt his belly and there seems to be nothing. I am art arching pictures so you can see what I mean.

Hobskibble

Hello.

Could you describe your tank setup to us? It would most definitely help in determining what the cause of the problem is. There is a noticeable arch on his back and his posture is pretty weak, it might be MBD. What lights are you using and when did you start noticing a difference in his behavior?How often do you use calcium supplements with his food/water? MBD would definitely explain why he's in such a bad mood. It would probably be worth considering having a veterinarian exam him.

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
Hobskibble":drqa8yjw said:
Hello.

Could you describe your tank setup to us? It would most definitely help in determining what the cause of the problem is. There is a noticeable arch on his back and his posture is pretty weak, it might be MBD. What lights are you using and when did you start noticing a difference in his behavior?How often do you use calcium supplements with his food/water? MBD would definitely explain why he's in such a bad mood. It would probably be worth considering having a veterinarian exam him.
He has a basking light on the right side with a branch to bask on and a uvb light on the left with a small plant and food dish. Oh god well I noticed him like this since yesterday and decided to wait a day, I don't usually use calcium supplements as I thought it was already in the veggies.. I am now taking him to the vet right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that he needs an experienced reptile vet that works with bearded dragons. A blood panel should be done, he looks pretty ill and may have something serious going on.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The jet black beard and the lethargic behavior definitely shows something is up. A physical exam and maybe a blood test could be helpful. A vet visit is definitely warranted. Please let us know what the vet says.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
He doesn't look too good. He should have calcium supplement 2-3x per week and vitamins 1x week. You did not mention what type of uvb you're using. It might be too old also, it should probably be replaced after 6 months depending what you are using. You should start him on baby food squash with calcium.

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
Okay so I just got out of the vets and they took x-rays and confirmed it wasnt metablolic! He seems to be just malnutritioned I think, he recommended more variety of veggies and vitamin d and more calcium. He also said I needed to change the uv light every 6 months and to give him more sun. For now he gave him a shot of antibiotic and warm fluids and I'm going back on Friday for another checkup. Thank you all for your replies! I will update again on Friday

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good news. Hopefully he can bounce back completely with a good diet and lighting. Time outside in the natural sunlight is great if the weather allows for it. I also suggest using a T5 light for best UVB output. This is what I use and it's great http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ it will go for at least a year without needing a replacement the way the older T8's do (every 6 months or so). It should sit about 12'' above the basking area for best results.

For diet, try to offer a variety of veges in salads. I try to offer 2-3 items from this list in salads on a rotating basis depending on what looks fresh at the store each week. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

PaeganFuc3ingRules

Original Poster
Just got back from the vets and I am so pleased to say that my beardie seems to be going in a good direction, his beard is back to normal and the vet said just one more antibiotic shot and more fluids and he should be fine! Thank you all soooo much for all your responses, I am following all of your advice! Thank you❤

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizziefan
Top Bottom