Frost's thread- shed! 10/25

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Until he's older, he eats 1 pinky mouse twice a week. As an adult, he'll eat 1 mouse (fuzzy I think) every 10 days or so

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Me either, but I won't wish away his childhood. I remember always wanting Nemesis to be huge and now I wish she still fit on my finger sometimes :mrgreen:

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
NightmareDisco":1falt7a1 said:
I'm not sure yet, I know how to sex him, I'm just waiting until he's more settled in. I think it might ruin our chances of being friends if I just waltz in and violate him :lol:

Do you sex by popping, like a ball python?

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey all,
Frost is doing well. Unfortunately he regurgitated a very small portion of his meal last Sunday so I am unable to feed him again until Tuesday. He is much less skittish and seems to be pretty used to me by now. I think I finally have his viv the way I want it. Sadly, my camera cord broke so there will be no more pics until I get a new one :(
I will let you know how he eats on Tuesday :D

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I think that I just handled him too soon resulting in me feeling terrible. Too much stress for his first week in a new home

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh I see.

Sorry for all the questions I don't know much about cornsnakes :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Floof

Juvie Member
Adorable! Is he a hypo, or just a really light normal?

I LOVE corns. My first reptile (still have her) was a corn. They easily rank among my favorite snake species. They're also probably one of the species I'm most knowledgeable about, considering it's the one I've had the longest and I read everything I could about them when I got her. Lol

Sorry to hear about your regurge. Watching your handling after meals is definitely important. I like to wait 2-3 days after a meal to handle. 2 days is the minimum. I usually wait the extra day or two so they have a chance to poop--that way it doesn't happen on me (which, I've had happen--my big girl pooped down my shirt once. Among other various "the snake pooped on me" stories, that one was probably the nastiest... LOL. NOT fun!) So did he come back from the regurge pretty well? (Only now realizing the last post was almost 2 weeks ago... heh)

One note on feeding, as I see you guys were discussing it. With hatchling corns, you're looking at a single pinky mouse every 5-7 days, moving up in size and farther apart in days as you go. Frost looks big enough, based on the pics, to take a smaller fuzzy or 2 pinks per meal, at which point you'll start moving to every 7 days. You want the meal to be about 1.5x the widest part of his body. Basically, if it doesn't make a lump, or the lump disappears within 24 hours, then you want to move up to the next size (or, in the case of pinks, double up for a few meals, then move to the next size up). There's also a guideline called the "Munson Plan" that gives feeding size suggestions based on the size (weight) of the snake. It's a very good guideline if you just don't want to guess, as long as you remember that it's not set in stone and it doesn't always apply--there will be snakes that are more sensitive and can't move up on meal size as fast as "normal."

Adults will take regular adult mice, once every 7-14 days, depending on your snake, its gender/whether you're breeding (males less often, breeding females more often), and little things like that. My girl, at around 400 grams, 3.5ish feet long, and non-breeding (at the moment--fingers crossed a good male for her pops up at the expo!! Otherwise she's waiting 2 years for my Hypo Lav to be breeding size), takes a single adult mouse every 7-10 days.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey, thanks for the info! He has been keeping his meals down just fine since the regurge. I fed him a pinky 2 days ago and it was still visible 24 hours later. He is 20 inches and weighed 18 grams last weekend. I will weigh him again soon
he is hypo btw

Floof

Juvie Member
Ah, smaller than he looks in the pics. That makes him just 6 grams heavier than my little Hypo Lavender, who's still just a wee little guy. :) And, that's what I thought he was--just the darker saddle borders threw me off in some of the later pics, lol. Very, very pretty little guy!

This is the Munson Plan. If you went by this, your babe is ready to try two pinks per meal.

"-When they're on single pinks (2-3g), I feed every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+) See below.

Note: Adult females are fed more frequently than adult males (especially following brumation). Adult females are fed every 7-12 days; adult males are fed every 11-14 days.

This is by no means scientific, and not all corns will cooperate 100% with the schedule. The weight ranges I gave for the prey and snakes are approximate. "
(From http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106&highlight=munson+plan)

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Frost is still 18 grams, but he's eating well. I wonder if I am not feeding him enough. I'm feeding him 1 pinky every 6 days
DSCN2053.jpg

DSCN2049.jpg

DSCN2044.jpg

DSCN2039.jpg

DSCN2029.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom