Frog Eye? Genetic? Health Issue?

Rae.biird

Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
I recently noticed my dragon's left eyeball seems to be "popping out" - not a typical bulging-eye scenario. It can only be seen from a certain angle; I'm not sure how long it has been like this. It looks fine from the front. Her right eye is perfectly normal. I've read various answers from genetic issues (I rescued her, so don't know her lineage - assuming she's from a chain pet store) to fluid buildup. She has been glass surfing and digging a lot, but I think she may be trying to lay eggs as well. She's a chunky, healthy girl otherwise.

Attachments

• 20221226_122214.jpg
    20221226_122214.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221226_122223.jpg
    20221226_122223.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 57

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It does seem to be fluid build up. I'm not sure if it needs vet attention but if it continues to get worse or if it obviously bothers her you can consult with a reptile vet. Do you have a laybox set up in case she needs to lay eggs ?

Rae.biird

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kiwi
It does seem to be fluid build up. I'm not sure if it needs vet attention but if it continues to get worse or if it obviously bothers her you can consult with a reptile vet. Do you have a laybox set up in case she needs to lay eggs ?
Her enclosure is semi-bioactive with about 4-5 inches of soil. The last time she laid, she just picked a corner and laid them there. Mostly just confused about the eye; I've heard of megalocornea, which is - essentially - fliud buildup from genetic issues, I'm leaning more toward this theory. My vet likes to cost me an arm and a leg to virtually do nothing.. so I try to be more reserved about scheduling appointments.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, the laying situation should be fine then and hopefully the eye won't give her any trouble. Please update if anything changes or just to see how she's doing.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom