Free-roaming (sorta) Dubias in enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Looking for some feedback on allowing some dubias to be somewhat 'free roaming' in an enclosure to allow the BD to eat throughout the day. Due to work schedules, I'm not able to maintain a normal feeding 'schedule', so I'm trying to think of some alternatives. I'm thinking I would have two 'chambers' that would be spaced about a foot apart. Between the chambers would be a tube / trough with an open top, but . The dubias would be allowed to roam free between the the two chambers, but the trough would be designed so they couldn't climb out. I'm thinking I could rig something up to 'nudge' them from one side to another at scheduled times. Maybe turning a fan on in one chamber, or possibly a bright light.

Any thoughts?

essenm25

Hatchling Member
I was wondering about this too. I know dubias don't bite like crickets so I was wondering if had to make sure all were out of her cage after she ate what she wanted to or if I could leave a few in there for her later.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
This is a good question. I've been feeding Kimba with them from feeder tongs because I don't want any loose in my house. And the times when I've transferred him to a feeding tank, he seemed very startled and didn't eat. Not sure I could deal with escapee roaches, but if they just hung out with him...heh. :)

rcpeacock

I think roaches would be fine. The ones that do not get eaten, are just going to hide anyway. I do not think they would stress a dragon out(not like criks do) My schedule does not allow two feedings either. I leave for work, two hours before my dragon gets up. I toss a nice salad in, in the morning(so she can munch during the day). She gets her criks, roaches, and supers at 6pm. She is very happy and healthy. It has always worked for us. Once my dubia colony is fully established, I would not hesitate to throw some in, before I leave for work :mrgreen:

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Jeff, if you make it, I'll buy it :D I've also been thinking there must be an easier way! Flippie, however, almost had a heart attack with tonight's feeding... He climbed halfway into the container that I dust the roaches in, one got on him and he jumped (and shook) about a foot high :lol:

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
I think throwing some Dubias in the enclosure would be fine. If you're using a tank, remember that they CAN climb the silicone to seal the tank. It has enough grip. The babies especially. So just think about that before you go throwing some in!

Dubias can't climb smooth surfaces at all, but give them enough grip and they can. However, with the lights on and everything I doubt any would try to climb out. They'll likely just hide in the dragons hides anyways :p

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
maybe its just me, but I think thats a really bad idea...have you seen what an adult cricket can do to a sleeping dragon?? imagine a roach, chewing on eyeballs, and stuff haha, I have always been advised to feed what they will eat, and take out all left overs(bug wise) those roaches are pretty tough, eating whole dog food and they destroy a carrot lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom