Fred's 3 week outdoor adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:shock: 3 weeks ago I was cleaning Fred's cage and he was hanging out on the couch while I was busy, I left the room for a while to go scrub some of his things in the bathroom, when I came back he was gone, and I realized the sliding glass door was open about 3 inches!
I immediately shut the door then searched EVERYWHERE outside in the yard and inside the house and he was gone. Everyone was devastated at the loss of Fred, he is such a cuddly sweet dragon and I felt horribly guilty. After about a week of looking for him and putting up "Lost" ads, I figured he was gone for good. Two more weeks passed by and then today I heard my elderly neighbor calling me out in her yard, waving her arms frantically. I ran outside and she asked me "Did you lose something?? about this big??" (and she held her hands about 2 feet apart) I immediately thought of Fred, (I hadnt told my neighbor about losing him because she is old and I thought she would be scared if I told her a large dragon is on the loose) I said "Yes I lost something about that big!" and she told me to follow her into her yard, she led me to her cement shed and pointed in the corner, and there was poor Fred, all curled up on the ice cold cement, covered in cobwebs!!! I was so shocked and relieved to see him I didnt even know what to say! I immediately picked him up and dusted him off and cuddled him against me, he was a dark ashy grey color and very lethargic. I thanked my neighbor prefusely and apologized to her for not telling her about Fred being lost, she said she wasnt scared of him when she saw him but she knew he wasnt a wild lizard, and she knows I love animals so she figured he might be mine. She was really happy and proud that she had found Fred alive, just when the weather was starting to get cold too, she said that Fred must have had an angel watching over him.

I realize how careless it was that I lost him, but I am so grateful and amazed that he is somehow back - what are the chances of that? and we live in a very densely forested area, he could have run miles away in the 3 weeks that he was gone.
I assume he has eaten and drank very little, other then maybe spiders, but my neighbor claims he must have been locked in her shed for almost a week, as the last time she had the door open was a week ago. The weather had been really warm but the last 2 days it got really cold outside. He is still in shock in his cage, black beard and head bobbing, nervous and not himself. The first thing I did was give him a warm bath, then put him under a 150 watt heat lamp and UVB light, then he ate about 10 large crickets, I am worried about him though, he is very stressed and closes his eyes a lot, and still a dark ashy color. Any suggestions of things I can do to help him get better?

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
WOW.

Umm... how is Fred adjusting at the moment?

I'd try to slowly introduce food and water, and I don't think a vet visit would be that out of the question either.

That is INSANE you found Fred - I am so happy! Let us know how he's doing!

Beezer25

Hatchling Member
That's GREAT that you found Fred. I also have a beardie named Fred, and lost then found him except that it was really warm outside.
He's totally fine now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom