fractured or broken arm!!??

kay.

Beardie name(s)
lucinda
bearded dragon walking on hand sometimes, she can hold herself up and stand fine so i don’t think it’s broken maybe fractured?? i’m not sure. and her arm is a bit swollen we can’t afford a trip to vet at the moment can i use a toothpick or small stick and medical tape and make a cast type thing to help stabilize her arm and keep it the right way or is vet trip needed? i’ve watched videos of people doing it for their beardie my mom lost her job and we are struggling a lot with money rn. if not is there any other way to help her without vet? no signs of pain either

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
bearded dragon walking on hand sometimes, she can hold herself up and stand fine so i don’t think it’s broken maybe fractured?? i’m not sure. and her arm is a bit swollen we can’t afford a trip to vet at the moment can i use a toothpick or small stick and medical tape and make a cast type thing to help stabilize her arm and keep it the right way or is vet trip needed? i’ve watched videos of people doing it for their beardie my mom lost her job and we are struggling a lot with money rn. if not is there any other way to help her without vet? no signs of pain either
The uvb your using is going to play a huge role in the healing of the arm--- please No coils they are inadequate please post a pic of the arm in question- do you know how she hurt the arm ? Fall? Or is there a hammock in the tank?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, supplementation, etc.
As Karrie suggested, if she isn't getting adequate UVB then her bones could be weakened by not
being able to properly absorb calcium & D3.
Pictures would be great, if you can manage that for us, so we can see her condition, along with the
tank setup, too.
For now, if you can try to keep her from having to climb too much, that would help so she doesn't
hurt herself more.

Tracie

kay.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
lucinda
The uvb your using is going to play a huge role in the healing of the arm--- please No coils they are inadequate please post a pic of the arm in question- do you know how she hurt the arm ? Fall? Or is there a hammock in the tank?
i have no idea she just started doing it and i have a long tube ubv 36” and her tank is 36” she’s 8 months ubv has been changed after ever four months we’re trying to get a bigger tank soon. there is a hammock in her tank but she shows no pain when i touch her arm wrist or hand. i don’t know how to post pics on here but her arm looks normal she holds herself up but sometimes when she stops running or while running her hand just lands on her wrist and when she stops and it’s like that she doesn’t fix it she just sits there but she doesn’t always sit like that she sits normally too

kay.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
lucinda
Hello,

Please review your tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, supplementation, etc.
As Karrie suggested, if she isn't getting adequate UVB then her bones could be weakened by not
being able to properly absorb calcium & D3.
Pictures would be great, if you can manage that for us, so we can see her condition, along with the
tank setup, too.
For now, if you can try to keep her from having to climb too much, that would help so she doesn't
hurt herself more.

Tracie
i use zoo med reptisun 10.0 ubv 36” and it’s changed ever 4/5 months it’s as long as her tank mounted into tank she’s in a 40 gallon breeder we’re trying to get a bigger tank when we could shes 8 months and i dust her salads with zoo med repti calcium w d3 and mix it up so the calcium isn’t just on top but two/three times a week and dust her bugs a couple times a week because i heard they can od with d3 or something and i give beardeddragon.co multivitamin without d3 2 times a week. is that not enough?? her bone seems to be strong still she still walks normal and run/sit normal but also sometimes on her hand it isn’t that much and she still holds herself up and i noticed she slept with her hand backwards one night but in morning got up with hand normal i hope her bones are weakening if they are how to reverse it? i don’t know how to post pictures but i believe her tank is a good set up only “problem” is i use papertowels as substrate since you can’t use carpet or sand or tile i don’t know what else to use hopefully temporarily but i researched and asked people who owned them, and vets near me and they all loved my set up i can try to insert pic if i can figure out how to

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i use zoo med reptisun 10.0 ubv 36” and it’s changed ever 4/5 months it’s as long as her tank mounted into tank she’s in a 40 gallon breeder we’re trying to get a bigger tank when we could shes 8 months and i dust her salads with zoo med repti calcium w d3 and mix it up so the calcium isn’t just on top but two/three times a week and dust her bugs a couple times a week because i heard they can od with d3 or something and i give beardeddragon.co multivitamin without d3 2 times a week. is that not enough?? her bone seems to be strong still she still walks normal and run/sit normal but also sometimes on her hand it isn’t that much and she still holds herself up and i noticed she slept with her hand backwards one night but in morning got up with hand normal i hope her bones are weakening if they are how to reverse it? i don’t know how to post pictures but i believe her tank is a good set up only “problem” is i use papertowels as substrate since you can’t use carpet or sand or tile i don’t know what else to use hopefully temporarily but i researched and asked people who owned them, and vets near me and they all loved my set up i can try to insert pic if i can figure out how to
You can use your phone and copy the image and post - she needs the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding dusted on the insects - do this till shes a year old and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - your UVB is good she should be able to get under it 12-15 inches --when she gets to be a year old you can dust D3 one -two times a week and the regular calcium 2-3 times per week - your using a good UVB so you shouldnt need it that often - if shes a good salad eater you can lay off the vitamins too -- feed once in awhile -
Why cant you use carpet sand or tile ? the sand and carpet I wouldnt use but the tile is good - and so textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- Walmart and your local home improvement stores would have the shelf liner clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50

kay.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
lucinda
You can use your phone and copy the image and post - she needs the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding dusted on the insects - do this till shes a year old and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - your UVB is good she should be able to get under it 12-15 inches --when she gets to be a year old you can dust D3 one -two times a week and the regular calcium 2-3 times per week - your using a good UVB so you shouldnt need it that often - if shes a good salad eater you can lay off the vitamins too -- feed once in awhile -
Why cant you use carpet sand or tile ? the sand and carpet I wouldnt use but the tile is good - and so textured NON adhesive shelf liner -- Walmart and your local home improvement stores would have the shelf liner clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50
i heard sand, carpet and tile were bad for them but i will start giving her more calcium!! i was recommended by vet to get a multivitamin without beta carotene should i switch to one with it? luckily she loves her salads!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
i heard sand, carpet and tile were bad for them but i will start giving her more calcium!! i was recommended by vet to get a multivitamin without beta carotene should i switch to one with it? luckily she loves her salads!!
I would - I have tile in my 2 tanks and I like it- you want ceramic slated tile that has some texture nothing coarse nothing real smooth- sand is bad for bacteria and impaction- carpet is a pain to keep clean -

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, go ahead & get a multi-vitamin supplement without any calcium added but, with
Beta carotene. The brand Herptivite is a good one, it has beta carotene in it. Usually
once per week on vitamins, or 2 times max, is good for them.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

kay.

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
lucinda
Hello,

Yes, go ahead & get a multi-vitamin supplement without any calcium added but, with
Beta carotene. The brand Herptivite is a good one, it has beta carotene in it. Usually
once per week on vitamins, or 2 times max, is good for them.
How is she doing today?

Tracie
thank you i ordered the herptivite one!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific the Herptivite should help out a lot for her. How is she doing today?
I hope she is feeling better, keep us posted on her progress.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom