Found 1 egg in bearded dragons tank. She's gravid, Help!

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
My beardie Sandy just turned 2 years old in January. Just tonight I found 1 infertile egg in her tank! We did not breed her, and this will be her first ever clutch of eggs. She has been glass surfing more than usual, is more hyper, and her tummy looks a little bit big. I'm afraid she'll die if we make one wrong step. Tomorrow we will get her a lay box using play sand and topsoil. Her diet will be switched to include a rich supply of calcium. Any suggestions? She is my first ever bearded dragon, so we will take all the help we can get. We are considering taking her to the vet if we have no luck after a while.

Edit: She laid an egg on her reptile carpet, so we are hoping she will not be picky with her digging substrate.

Last edited:

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Okay great. We are hopeful that today she will lay -- she already was digging but no eggs to be seen. Hopefully she's just warming up to the box and we won't have to make a vet visit.

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Okay, its been a while and I think she doesn't like the substrate. We are going to get a bigger box with a lid fit for it and a better substrate that will pack. Also will be calling the vet for suggestions.

Beardie name(s)
Hazel
I'd probably use just buy one if you dont have one, she is going to need a cave anyways. Mine has a small little vase that my dad bought for his fish, but he had extras so he put one in my Beardie tank, so you could maybe look for one at a pet store near you. Of you do have one already, i would prefer to use that

My beardie Sandy just turned 2 years old in January. Just tonight I found 1 infertile egg in her tank! We did not breed her, and this will be her first ever clutch of eggs. She has been glass surfing more than usual, is more hyper, and her tummy looks a little bit big. I'm afraid she'll die if we make one wrong step. Tomorrow we will get her a lay box using play sand and topsoil. Her diet will be switched to include a rich supply of calcium. Any suggestions? She is my first ever bearded dragon, so we will take all the help we can get. We are considering taking her to the vet if we have no luck after a while.

Edit: She laid an egg on her reptile carpet, so we are hoping she will not be picky with her digging substrate.

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
She has a little log arch that is like a cave but open on both sides. I placed it in her lay box but took it out since she didn't like it. We will probably have to go to the vet since she is not laying D:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dragons with parasites can have perfectly normal stools or all the way on the other spectrum and have diahrea. Color is usually caused by what they ate but sometimes orange urate , especially if it's hard, might be from too much calcium. The first thing you consider is what she eats.

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Dragons with parasites can have perfectly normal stools or all the way on the other spectrum and have diahrea. Color is usually caused by what they ate but sometimes orange urate , especially if it's hard, might be from too much calcium. The first thing you consider is what she eats.
Okay, thank you. A couple of days ago she did eat some mango, carrots and eats bok choy greens everyday. (She hasn't had mango in like 6 months). Her crickets are usually heavily dusted in calcium and she gets calcium baths. I think it was pretty soft/normal for how her stool usually is, just hoping it is from the mango and/or being gravid. She also hasn't pooped in a while so that could also be the case. She's 100% going to the vet so we can see what they recommend and also possibly get a fecal test. I'm sorry for the delay about the photos of her lay box, I took them on my mom's phone and she is not home at the moment so I cannot access them.

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
@AHBD
Here is the picture of her laybox, sorry for the delay. We bought a new container *shown below* that has a white lid with it.

Attachments

• Sandy's Laybox.jpg
    Sandy's Laybox.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 72

Sandy's World

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Using ECO EARTH as the substrate, but she doesn't seem to like it (wont dig as much as she did in the sand) so we are going to switch it out and replace it with sand again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, or you could add the sand to it but make sure whatever you use is damp all the way through to hold it's shape like cookie dough. Use the lid but cut a corner of it out so it turns into a cave.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom