Fortaz/Meloxicam

Beardie name(s)
LJ
My dragon has been on antibiotics for almost two months and is not showing an improved WBC count. The vet still does not know what exactly he has and we are going in for an EPH Monday, to see if we can determine what the WBC are reacting to. We switched from the antibiotic Excede to Fortaz yesterday. He also prescribed a pain med/anti-inflammatory of .1ml Meloxicam. I have not administered the Meloxicam yet, as I have read an abundance of horror stories due to this drug, also considering I do not know exactly WHAT he has. The vet told me he thinks kidneys/liver are fine. He is not looking for something fungal/an inflammation. Does anyone have experience with this drug? I do not know if it was prescribed "just in case," which makes me nervous. If anyone can share their experiences with Meloxicam that would be great. I do not want to make him dizzy, weak, or lethargic because of its administration. Thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with you 100 %. If there is no determined reason for it I'd not use it at all. It's an anti inflammatory/pain med. And the side effects that you mentioned are, IMO, too much risk for a dragon that's already been on antibiotics for 2 months. Have you posted the blood test results here ? What is the WBC on them ? Post them if you get a chance.
What was the initial concern with LJ, how was he acting and what is his behavior + appetite like now as well as weight ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, the Meloxicam can caused a lot of side effects. It should only be used short term, but as
you have mentioned they aren't sure what could be going on.
I have used it on one of our dragons years ago, but not for very long, a week or two. I underdosed
him though, because I was concerned about side effects from it.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom