Food Size-vegies salads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shania

What size should food be, as in, leafy greens ?
What about things like carrot or yellow squash ? Capsicum etc

Can people show pics of what your prepared food looks like for adult beardie please ?

I have read some people grate but I also heard from a friend their beardie died from grated carrot/squash/pumpkin, choked. When I think about it makes sense maybe as grated is thinner so they cannot bit on it really, no ?

Getting an Adult Bearded Dragon and afraid in how to prep the food properly, as in sizes
I have seen some videos where the salad greens are Huge in size
Somewhere I saw that the red bell pepper, capsicum was cut into tiny cubes, like not even maybe half a centimeter square, how can bearded pick that up to eat it, if that tiny ?

Confused

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The food size varies a bit. Grating is a good option, from what I've seen. The important part is to size it so they can chew it down easily. They can handle fairly big chunks, especially with squash. I tend to chop greens up into small slices. For example, I'll roll up a collard green, then cut it lengthwise twice and then chop along the short side into small ribbons maybe 1cm in length. For squash, I cut a few rounds off of the end, then cut once along the diagonal, then cut it up perpindicular to the first cut in order to make worm shapes.

What the dragons will do is use their sticky tongue to capture the food and then chew it up. This tends to be easier for them as the food dries out a little bit over the course of the day. I've also found that they have an easier time if I put some of the food in my open palm and let them scoop it up. Try out a few different methods to see what works best for you. I will try to get a photo of how I prep a whole salad if needed. I do have an example of how I cut up squash which may help.

76248-9983280538.jpg

This photo sort of shows the collard green ribbons in his dish.
76248-8784343032.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I cut the squash up into bite size pieces summer and zucchini-- I feed raw shredded sweet potato that is the only thing I shred - I dont feed carrots because I feed my roaches carrots so I dont want to over feed Vit A- I roll collard turnips kale and dandelion greens up together those are not all fed at the same time but alternating the combinations of them into a cigar like slice down the middle and then cut into bite size leave for them - I am paranoid about them choking on something so I make sure its a good size for them so they can chew it -- fruit is cut up as well -- I agree w/ CooperDragon I also devein the greens --

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
One other thing to note is that I cut the stems out of the greens. Those go to the roaches. That removes the hard part of the leaves and reduces choking hazard.

Shania

Original Poster
Thank You

For the Squash, I see it's width however isn't that to long like a stick and can just slide down throat and get stuck ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen any issues with the squash. It's really soft and gets chewed up easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom