Food and lighting help, 7 week old not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sqweesh

Hey! First post, first Dragon.

To start with, he has eaten 1 cricket and about 5 dubias over the week I've had him. He's alert and looking around, but not really moving around as much as I think he would, the girl I got him from said he was the fastest baby. I know relocation stress is part of it, but im definitely thinking lighting has alot to do with it to, the lighting is completely new for me....so...

1. I got an aqua culture basking bulb, its 60 watts. I was confused and thought the basking bulb included uva, so just to make sure...is 60 watts too low? It's a more yellow light.

2. Got Uva yesterday, its a zoo med 10.0 13 watt mini florescent. This isn't the same as a coil is it? We don't have much in terms of petstores locally, Im waiting for my new lamp setup, so right this moment I'm only working with one lamp so either I can switch between the two bulbs during the daytime, or someone can help me figure out which is the most important for him to have for a couple days until the new lamp gets here...(I'm planning on having him spend some time in the sun with me today)

3. I was giving him some soaking time every day, I realize this might be causing additional stress so I won't soak him today. I've noticed only a couple poops, wanted to make sure he was hydrated

Hes in a 10 gal right now...I haven't measured the distance between his perch and the bulb, the sticks I found for him are being cleaned and spending the day being disinfected so those aren't available to him yet...

I've been messing with his cage a LOT trying different things, that might not be helping him with the not eating issue...just looking for input now that I've found this community.

No thermometer or infrared temperature reader yet...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First I would get him into a bigger tank a 10 gallon is way too small even for a baby - at least a 20 gallon even a tote would work -- your going to have a hard time getting basking temps in that small of a tank --- so this is what you need ----- a bright white basking bulb thats going to keep temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer this is a MUST----------ASAP---- next ditch the coil UVB they are totally inadequate for ANY tank -- and hazardous to the dragon --- you need this
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
Use the 5.0 bulb it comes w/ for a 20 gallon tank ---- if you go bigger for tank size get this as well
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html 22" bulb --- please let me know what your doing so I can help you place those bulbs --- they have certain distance and placement - the 24" fixture will go into a bigger tank of 40-120 gallon tank --- so think of it as an investment
your dragon will NOT eat or stop eating w/ incorrect lighting -- and yes he will go thru relocation stress but you dont want him to stop eating all together and he will if he has incorrect basking temps and UVB ---- please no more baths for now --- he needs to start eating salads those should be offered everyday -- and yes its good to keep him hydrated -- you can drop water on his nose so he can lick but he will most of his moisture out of greens that are rinsed before serving -- but you MUST get the temps and UVB corrected --

Sqweesh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3diamdtt said:
this is a MUST----------ASAP---- next ditch the coil UVB they are totally inadequate for ANY tank -- and hazardous to the dragon

Ah darnit...the bulb I got actually is a coil light? I drove an hour in search of a light that isn't coil...ok. I'll use your suggestions to start hunting today and keep you updated on what I find!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you been able to find a source for good lighting in the area? It can be tough, depending on where you live. If you're able to order lighting online, it may be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom