food/age transitions

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
throughout a dragons life i know they go from mostly bugs to half and half to mostly salads. what ages do those apply? like my 2 and a half month old is on a 20/80 right now though he doesnt eat as much salad as he should. thats something im working on and using vitamin suplements until he is eating the proper amount. what age would it be appropriate to switch him to the 50/50? also would i need to make that transition slowly or just one day change it up? how exactly do i know im doing a 50/50? i know this is still months away but i want to be prepared. i have the same questions for the next switch to 80 salads and 20 bugs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
throughout a dragons life i know they go from mostly bugs to half and half to mostly salads. what ages do those apply? like my 2 and a half month old is on a 20/80 right now though he doesnt eat as much salad as he should. thats something im working on and using vitamin suplements until he is eating the proper amount. what age would it be appropriate to switch him to the 50/50? also would i need to make that transition slowly or just one day change it up? how exactly do i know im doing a 50/50? i know this is still months away but i want to be prepared. i have the same questions for the next switch to 80 salads and 20 bugs.
He needs to have insects cut back to 2-3 times per week at around 1 yr old-- salads every day

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
No he needs insects every day till hes a yr old --- then it changes -- he is still growing and needs the protein
as he gets older should i change it to less bugs daily? he currently gets fed 4 times a day but im worried once hes bigger even if hes not completely done growing it will still be to much. like only twice or will what im doing work?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
as he gets older should i change it to less bugs daily? he currently gets fed 4 times a day but im worried once hes bigger even if hes not completely done growing it will still be to much. like only twice or will what im doing work?
Hes eating 4 times per day? How many bugs at a time ? Is he eating salads too? I think your dragon is really little like 2-3 months old ?

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Hes eating 4 times per day? How many bugs at a time ? Is he eating salads too? I think your dragon is really little like 2-3 months old ?
yes he gets fed a salad at 8 that he doesnt really eat much of but its in his cage all day. then he gets fed his bugs at 9,12,3, and 6. he has bsfl in the salad all day and normally some dubias after the first bug feeding. i dont really count how much he eats i just let him eat what he can in no longer than 10 minutes but hes always done before that. id say he typically eats between 5 and 10 5/8 of an inch dubia roaches each feeding. he also gets crickets in some feedings but not all. we dont know his exact birthday but im just guessing beginning of december judging on how old he was when we got him so hes a little over 2 and a half months old. he measures 9 inches long as of today. i was concerned about obesity a while back but you guys told me that its not a problem while hes growing. he poops at least once a day and they are always big ones with healthy urates. he gets fed a vitamin supplement on the weekend and his feeders all eat greens to help give him the vitamins hes not getting from the salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes he gets fed a salad at 8 that he doesnt really eat much of but its in his cage all day. then he gets fed his bugs at 9,12,3, and 6. he has bsfl in the salad all day and normally some dubias after the first bug feeding. i dont really count how much he eats i just let him eat what he can in no longer than 10 minutes but hes always done before that. id say he typically eats between 5 and 10 5/8 of an inch dubia roaches each feeding. he also gets crickets in some feedings but not all. we dont know his exact birthday but im just guessing beginning of december judging on how old he was when we got him so hes a little over 2 and a half months old. he measures 9 inches long as of today. i was concerned about obesity a while back but you guys told me that its not a problem while hes growing. he poops at least once a day and they are always big ones with healthy urates. he gets fed a vitamin supplement on the weekend and his feeders all eat greens to help give him the vitamins hes not getting from the salad.
Are you dusting the insects ? calcium D3 - he needs that 5 x per week ONE time per feeding- so only once a day --

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Are you dusting the insects ? calcium D3 - he needs that 5 x per week ONE time per feeding- so only once a day --
so will i need to lessen his feedings before he hits a year old? like still feed him bugs everyday but only twice daily instead of 4 times or something like that? if so what age would i need to do that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
so will i need to lessen his feedings before he hits a year old? like still feed him bugs everyday but only twice daily instead of 4 times or something like that? if so what age would i need to do that?
No he will only get insects 2 - 3 times per week one time a day- at the age of 1 year

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom