Fluid Filled Belly *UPDATE* Feb 2, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I hate to hear that. :(
I hope that she will be ok. Is she acting normal & does she have a black beard also?
What supplementation have you been giving her?

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Well, we have moved to Texas....poor girl had to be in a tub for over 3 weeks!! She is still with me though. Got her back in her viv a few days ago, and finally just yesterday, she ate 5 dubia!! She ate some of her greens the last couple of time I offered so I thought I would try with dubia.

Not much else has changed. She still acts normal, except for the not eating until the last couple of days. Her tummy has not gone down either. I am absolutely perplexed. But I'll take what I can.

peachypink

Original Poster
With the move I totally forgot to post about the black stuff....when I talked to the vet, we both thought it might have been undigested food. When I looked closer and put it on a paper towel, it was more dark brownish and it hasn't really happened since.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
very happy to hear she is still with you! and that she ate now!
poor girl must not have liked being in a tub for so long!
glad everything went okay with your move...

good luck with everything! I hope you find some answers.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good news the move went well & she survived the trip!
So she did eat some on her own then, finally? Her tummy hasn't gone down any though?
Have you tried colloidal silver to see if that helps out? It is a natural antimicrobial & antiviral agent.
I hope that she starts to show some improvement soon.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
Yes, she ate on her own. 5 Roaches and about 1/4cup greens. Then again today after her bath she ate the same. Her belly isn't as plump as it was but it's still big. It just doesn't look like it's about to burst anymore.

I am still giving her the antibiotic. Can I do the silver with that? I'm just worried that I am just prolonging what would happen anyway. Someone I talked to told me that she might show improvement for a bit but with liver failure there is nothing you can really do. Of course he wasn't a vet, but put enough doubt in my head and it just makes me wonder if I'm being cruel to her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did the vet say that she was in total liver failure or just have liver issues?
You can use the colloidal silver with the antibiotics, but you may want to wait until the antibiotic regime is done. The colloidal silver is a natural antimicrobial & antiviral agent. Are you using any probiotics for her right now?
Does she seem happy?
That is good her belly seems to have gone down some then, you just never know how things may progress. The vets don't usually know either, since most don't do a lot of research on long term disease & or treatment.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
The vet didn't do any more testing than taking a sample of the fluid and seeing the color. She said the testing would be really expensive and may not give a diagnosis but that it looked like liver failure.

I am not giving probiotics, how would I get some and how much/ how often should I give her? I appreciate any help you can give.

She is happy and acts totally normal. Never a black beard or stress marks(unless she's cold) . Still loves to get out and hang out with me, she's calm in her Viv but gets more active after she is out and for a while after putting her back. She is way more active when I spend time with her. If I haven't been able to take her out and play for a few days it almost seems like she is depressed, as silly as that sounds. If it weren't for the big belly I would have never thought anything was wrong.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am happy to hear that she is doing pretty well, all things considered.
I understand, the extra testing is expensive, I agree.
The probiotics can be given daily. You can find either the non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz at a local health food store or maybe your grocery store, too.
At least she has a good spirit about her. They will pout if they don't get enough attention, turn their beards black, bob, etc until they get attention. I fully agree that she could get depressed & act mopey as well.

Keep her comfortable & try to start the probiotics too to help her system out since she is on antibiotics right now.
I am really pulling for her hoping that she begins to improve more.

Keep us posted on her.
Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
It's been a while since I've updated so here goes....

We have been here in TX for a couple months now. Baby seems to still be doing well. She has been eating like a champ and being active. Her belly is still about the same though. I talked with the reptile vet here in town and he seems to think that her eating again is because she has grown a bit which took some pressure off her belly and lungs and that she will slip back into the not eating again when the fluid fills more.

The last week she hasn't eaten as much but she is also shedding.

So, basically I am keeping on as if she were OK and if she shows signs of suffering I will taker her in. But for now, I will keep her happy as the waiting game continues. I didn't think she would still be here now, but she is, and I will take whatever time I have with her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that she is still doing pretty well then!
She has had a good appetite also?
Did you begin giving Baby any probiotics over the last month or so?
Maybe you could post more pictures of her for us if you get a chance. They can sure surprise us, that is for sure.

Tracie

peachypink

Original Poster
Yes, I have been working some probiotics in.

I'll work on getting some pictures up soon. She is still as pretty as ever.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would be great! :D I am sure she is still beautiful. I am glad to hear you have been able to get some probiotics into her, also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom