First time!!

Alinannyms

Beardie name(s)
Marcy
It's him!! After months of research, I finally was prepared. Got my 20 gal set up (much smaller than I would like, and he seems about 5 or so months old, so I will be upgrading in February), Arcadia T5 12% UVB, got basking temps to 105, and ambient temps to 80! Picked up calcium, roaches, and a few worms cause the store kinda forced us to. Took him home last night and he's the cutest thing ever. He's still very afraid of my hands and doesn't like when I get too close, but he basks well, and he just pooped one healthy poop today! I'm very anxious about doing everything right, but I think I'm doing as good as I can. The only thing I'm really struggling with is keeping the humidity high enough in this cold, dry weather, but everything else I think I'm doing right.

Their name is Marcy, and I'm so excited and nervous to take care of them!

Attachments

• 20221226_184641.jpg
    20221226_184641.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20221227_101513.jpg
    20221227_101513.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 80
  • marcy smug.jpg
    marcy smug.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 75

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Setup looks accurate..
Where did you get the bugs?

I'd order online it's much cheaper.
He's definitely cute.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It's him!! After months of research, I finally was prepared. Got my 20 gal set up (much smaller than I would like, and he seems about 5 or so months old, so I will be upgrading in February), Arcadia T5 12% UVB, got basking temps to 105, and ambient temps to 80! Picked up calcium, roaches, and a few worms cause the store kinda forced us to. Took him home last night and he's the cutest thing ever. He's still very afraid of my hands and doesn't like when I get too close, but he basks well, and he just pooped one healthy poop today! I'm very anxious about doing everything right, but I think I'm doing as good as I can. The only thing I'm really struggling with is keeping the humidity high enough in this cold, dry weather, but everything else I think I'm doing right.

Their name is Marcy, and I'm so excited and nervous to take care of them!
Welcome Marcy --
Your upgrading the tank? you need two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old - he looks to me to be younger -- please get a digital probe hygrometer to place on the back center wall of the tank --- optimal humidity is 40-50% you dont want anything under 20 and over 70%- your UVB needs a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- please dust your roaches 5 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated
feed salads every day here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated - you can get her some BSFL - also known as phoenix worms / calci worms/ or nutri grubs- and I would start ordering on line as SkittlesK recommended - if you need websites we can post some for you -- the BSFL are a great staple feeder for babies and a nice compliment to the roaches and worms being offered--- NO meal worms for now - you can feed super but limit to 1-3 every couple of days and use them as lures to the salad bowl like the BSFL - put them on top of the salads - use as many as you want

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Welcome Marcy --
Your upgrading the tank? you need two digital probe thermometers for accurate surface basking temps 95-100 for a 6 month old - he looks to me to be younger -- please get a digital probe hygrometer to place on the back center wall of the tank --- optimal humidity is 40-50% you dont want anything under 20 and over 70%- your UVB needs a piece of decor directly under it 12-15 inches -- please dust your roaches 5 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per day lightly coated
feed salads every day here is a website for nutrition Nutrition Content ignore the kale info its outdated - you can get her some BSFL - also known as phoenix worms / calci worms/ or nutri grubs- and I would start ordering on line as SkittlesK recommended - if you need websites we can post some for you -- the BSFL are a great staple feeder for babies and a nice compliment to the roaches and worms being offered--- NO meal worms for now - you can feed super but limit to 1-3 every couple of days and use them as lures to the salad bowl like the BSFL - put them on top of the salads - use as many as you want
I have one IR thermometer I've been using to measure basking temps. They've stayed around 105 or but I might as well get the probe thermometers anyways. I have a hygrometer, the black thing in the 2nd picture, and it seems to work, but I'm having some trouble keeping up with humidity. It drops back down so fast in this dry weather.

As for UVB, I have a piece of wood back there and he likes to lay on it. I would move the basking platform back, but I'm worried that would allow him to get too close. Is that a problem? I don't want to cook him.

And food, I'm able to get from a locally owned farm supply store down the street. They sell dubias, so yay! I will be ordering more online to ship weekly though, because he seems to be a hungry guy (is this ok?). I haven't tried salads yet, but I'll start on them tomorrow. Calcium and vitamins I'm already using once per day :). Anything else?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have one IR thermometer I've been using to measure basking temps. They've stayed around 105 or but I might as well get the probe thermometers anyways. I have a hygrometer, the black thing in the 2nd picture, and it seems to work, but I'm having some trouble keeping up with humidity. It drops back down so fast in this dry weather.

As for UVB, I have a piece of wood back there and he likes to lay on it. I would move the basking platform back, but I'm worried that would allow him to get too close. Is that a problem? I don't want to cook him.

And food, I'm able to get from a locally owned farm supply store down the street. They sell dubias, so yay! I will be ordering more online to ship weekly though, because he seems to be a hungry guy (is this ok?). I haven't tried salads yet, but I'll start on them tomorrow. Calcium and vitamins I'm already using once per day :). Anything else?
You want one w/ a probe on it -- not sure how accurate those are -- the UVB is not going to cook the dragon if the rays are too strong he will move from it but you want a distance of 12-15 inches directly under it -- you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium for your dubias get some dubia food / dubia dew / crystals for hydration - feed what you feed your dragon except carrots feed one or the other too much Vit A-- what is the humidity showing? Its on the floor so its going to read different than if its on the back center wall

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can get a small humidifier and place next to the tank -- I have one running now in between my two tanks as well -- I live in MN so its been horribly cold here last week so I turned it on --

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
You want one w/ a probe on it -- not sure how accurate those are -- the UVB is not going to cook the dragon if the rays are too strong he will move from it but you want a distance of 12-15 inches directly under it -- you can set up a 10 gallon aquarium for your dubias get some dubia food / dubia dew / crystals for hydration - feed what you feed your dragon except carrots feed one or the other too much Vit A-- what is the humidity showing? Its on the floor so its going to read different than if its on the back center wall
At the moment, the humidity is showing about 24%. I've been spraying every so often to keep it up in the 30s, but it just keeps going down. I'm from Missouri so I hear you about being cold. I'll try the humidifier out.

Even if it would look ugly, would taping the hygrometer on the wall be good enough?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
At the moment, the humidity is showing about 24%. I've been spraying every so often to keep it up in the 30s, but it just keeps going down. I'm from Missouri so I hear you about being cold. I'll try the humidifier out.

Even if it would look ugly, would taping the hygrometer on the wall be good enough?
I wouldn't keep the humidity any higher than that.
These are 'desert Australian species'
24% should be fine & I don't think you should have to spray every so often.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

I am not sure I would invest in the digital probe -- Exo Terra makes them - 24% is not bad - mine are at 20 and 22% as of now w/ the lights on and I am running the humidifier but the probe is on the back wall - I am thinking yours on the floor is higher and the humidity on the back wall is going to be lower but I could be wrong - 30% during the day is good - I went from the analog hygrometer to the probe

Alinannyms

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Marcy
Okay! Will have the Exo Terra hygrometers/thermometers in very soon. I found a humidifier in our closet, and I'll try setting that up today.

As for other matters, Marcy's still pretty scared of my hands. Eaten a few times, but always just 3 or so roaches and then back to basking. Not sure if they're basking out of fear, or if my temps or wrong, or if they just bask that much. I've only fed them twice today, breakfast and lunch, and in total they've eaten like 3 roaches and 2 worms. I threw out the rest of the worms because I learned they were bad and most were dead, anyways.

Am I doing things right? I don't wanna be such a worrywart but I think it's only natural lol. Thank you guys so much! Everyone here has been extremely helpful.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Welcome Marcy, everything sounds good and the tank is good size. Marcy looks younger, more like 3 months so if he/she doesn't grow too much by Feb. you can let Marcy stay in this one. It's normal for some new beardies to not each much at first and to be skittish but as long as they're healthy it will all work out. It's O.K to spray the tank a couple times a day but not so that it's soaking wet. Leaving a small wad of paper towel wet in there can help bump up the humidity as well, just don't let it get moldy.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hi and welcome. I agree on the age, your beardie looks pretty young, i don't think 5 months. As far as humidity if your staying above 20% your fine, worst case is shed issues, if you notice shedding problems raise it some. Karrieree is correct on optimum but if it dips for a little bit it isn't usually an issue, hight humidity is a bigger concern imho, if it starts spiking high it could cause respotory issues. Work with Karrieree on your lights, once that is on point everything else kindda falls in place.
Have patience with your new baby, they are brand new to the world and unsure of whats safe and of themselves. To them we are big scary gaints that might want to eat them. It takes time and patience but eventually they will learn to trust you and bond with you. Once they do there is hands down no better pet!!! 🙂

Letty

Beardie name(s)
Letty
Welcome Marcy --
WOW great idea with the worms in salad! im going to start tht 2morrow- im so glad to b bck - been super busy & hvnt had time to really sit & read stuff but i learn so much here🫶🏻

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom