First Time Travel

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I have to travel this weekend, so I put Rocky in a smaller terrarium in preparation for a 4-hour drive. I didn't want to disturb her in the am so I moved everything over this evening. It was not a good move. Rocky was so upset that she attempted to jump out of the terrarium TWICE. I feel horrible. I put Rocky back in the 40 gallon, she began licking everything and went to bed (but only after I left the room). She barricaded herself between everything she possible could.
The other terrarium is about 20 gallons but it's not going to work.

I didn't think Rocky was ready for a travel bag of any sort so I thought I had the perfect plan. I had heat prepared as well.
Rocky is not ready for full handling.

Sadly, we made so much progress today. We had play time in the play pen- handling time and I screwed up BIG TIME.

Should I just cancel my plans?

Last edited:

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I have to travel this weekend, so I put Rocky in a smaller terrarium in preparation for a 4-hour drive. I didn't want to disturb her in the am so I moved everything over this evening. It was not a good move. Rocky was so upset that she attempted to jump out of the terrarium TWICE. I feel horrible. I put Rocky back in the 40 gallon, she began licking everything and went to bed (but only after I left the room). She barricaded herself between everything she possible could.
The other terrarium is about 25 gallons but it's not going to work. How can I travel and not have another terrarium?

I saw other posts and while I didn't think Rocky is ready for a travel bag of any sort so I thought I had the perfect plan. I also had heat prepared as well.
Rocky is not ready for full handling.

Sadly, we made so much progress today. We had play time in the play pen- handling time and I screwed up BIG TIME.

Should I just cancel my plans?

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
Does she let you hold her? What we did was purchased a 20 g tank and they’re always be sold on fb marketplace. Anyway what I do is pack the cage with everything I need to take with me of his. He let me hold him so I held him the car ride. When/if he got antsy I had a blanket/towel etc. to cover him in. Once lights goes they go to sleep so I’d let him get a “nap” until I made it to my destination and everything was set up. Then I remove the towel and put him in. Personally I never brought the carrier tank because I felt like they’re to confined. I even did this when I took him to the vet. Rango loves the feel of those soft throws so I keep one specifically for him. I think it’s the confinement of the smaller tank plus if I rem correctly you just got him so he stills getting used to his new home with you.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Does she let you hold her? What we did was purchased a 20 g tank and they’re always be sold on fb marketplace. Anyway what I do is pack the cage with everything I need to take with me of his. He let me hold him so I held him the car ride. When/if he got antsy I had a blanket/towel etc. to cover him in. Once lights goes they go to sleep so I’d let him get a “nap” until I made it to my destination and everything was set up. Then I remove the towel and put him in. Personally I never brought the carrier tank because I felt like they’re to confined. I even did this when I took him to the vet. Rango loves the feel of those soft throws so I keep one specifically for him. I think it’s the confinement of the smaller tank plus if I rem correctly you just got him so he stills getting used to his new home with you.
Yes, I just got her so I think it may be too soon for all of the changes. She does let me hold her but I am the driver and the only person that will be in the car. If I wrap her and put her on me, I don't think it will work for 4 hours. I don't mind taking breaks. This is like having a child LOL. As a former dog owner all of my life, I am not used to this adjustment for a pet. LOL thanks.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Okay we will be staying home. I started our regular morning routine (changing water, preparing veggies)- no problem. Once I started my activities in front of her like usual, she usually just observes me. She came to the glass and showed me her beard- opened her mouth and showed me her beard again. Now she is on her rock and appears to be lifting her head up to show dominance but she responds when I call her name. She yawns a couple of times and turns her head in the opposite direction. She is still looking around the tank. At times she does wake up moody so I am going to see if it passes and she is herself in the next half hour. Ugh this is too much!!!! As I type she is moving closer to her bowl so we may be okay.

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My girlfriend and I average between 600 and 1000 miles most every weekend. (We don't set still) i take 1 or 2 of my beardies most every time. If i take Zen my male its only him. If i take the girls its usually both.Zen is 1000 grams he is to much of a hand full if he sees a girl lol. But they just ride on our shoulders. I take a foldable carrier just in case someone gets unruly. To be honest its good enrichment for them. They come to enjoy car rides pretty quickly.
I suggest trying your beardie around the neighborhood a few laps just to see how she reacts. I bet in short order she will be all in for road trips

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
My girlfriend and I average between 600 and 1000 miles most every weekend. (We don't set still) i take 1 or 2 of my beardies most every time. If i take Zen my male its only him. If i take the girls its usually both.Zen is 1000 grams he is to much of a hand full if he sees a girl lol. But they just ride on our shoulders. I take a foldable carrier just in case someone gets unruly. To be honest its good enrichment for them. They come to enjoy car rides pretty quickly.
I suggest trying your beardie around the neighborhood a few laps just to see how she reacts. I bet in short order she will be all in for road trips
Thank you so much. I honestly feel like the worst beardie parent with this setback but it will pass. I gave Rocky her space today and we will see what tomorrow brings. I love the idea of the few laps around the neighborhood. I have only handled her - put her in my hand, pet her- let her crawl around the pen- bathed her- now it's time to put her on my shoulder. I must admit, I am a little apprehensive but I will follow her lead with comfort and we will take it from there. I can do this!!!

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
as a heads up, be careful when on your shoulder. they think they can fly like superman, especially when they are young. i swear they have no depth perception. we always keep a hand on sir henry when he's hanging out on us.

and welcome to the never ending anxiety of being a new beardie parent. we've all been there. just shows you care. it does get better, although like our human kids, we still worry anyway!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
UPDATE- I spent ONE day out and left Rocky home. I put a camera on her, doubled her food, ensured that she had water and left the TV on. Well, the TV cut off after about 11 hours and Rocky ate ALL of her food when I left. Oh, I wasn't there to immediately remove the poop.
Rocky was fine- she hung out in the hammock but constantly looked for me. Rocky didn't glass surf once! As the lights are on timers, Rocky went to bed as scheduled. She slept inside her hut- this was a first. The picture was taken in the dark when I arrived. After 3 attempts, that halo wouldn't leave because that's my angel!:love::ROFLMAO:
Note: Rocky is sleeping in there again tonight. I notice the temperature dropped so I just fixed it to her "norm"- let's see how things go.
I don't want Rocky to think I disappeared or she's being punished due to our incident.

FYI- when Rocky is asleep, nothing will wake her up. I hope that's sign of feeling safe. What do you think?

I returned the next day and we resumed our normal schedule. Rocky took to me immediately- she ate only a little greens but of course devoured her roaches later in the day. We had playtime in her playpen. She stayed so long that she pooped in it (unlike her).

I had Rocky try out her new bed. C'mon, you know I didn't come home empty handed. I purchased a small dog bed...I have no clue why but it's cute. Rocky sat on it freely for about 3 minutes. Rocky then wanted to roam freely but I forgot to closed the door and check the floor so I put her in the playpen.

Right now, all is well in the world.

Attachments

• 20220618_202643.jpg
    20220618_202643.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 74

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Very cute. It only gets better. Beardies are like crack. Try once and your hooked lol.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
We had a great day- Rocky is outside of that coconut shell and sleeping fully exposed again. So, we had a day of fun in the playpen, etc. I gave her a superworm and blood splattered all over her face. She tried to get it off, no luck. I grabbed a qtip as the blood was so close to or in her eye, no luck as it dried up. I tried a bath...nothing. I held her and went in with a gentle scrub. SHE LET ME!!!! I was so excited. I couldn't believe Rocky let me help her but she did- Rocky didn't even squirm to get away. Each day is getting better and better!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Wow, it's almost a month to the day--- I will prepare for travel with Rocky. She's ready this time. Rocky has been in the car with me- she holds on to the side of the seat and everything - NO COMMENT! I decided I am going to put her in her carrier at night, drive during the night since it's a couple of hours and take it from there. Rocky is usually a champ when she is out late (not at home) but she is so nosey that she fights to stay away. Because it's dark and I won't have to worry about the lights, I think this is good.
Rocky is going to be in her playpen, I have so much to take- lights, food, vitamins- so much but I am so excited. I order roaches all of the time and they come in 2 days...of course it says it's coming 2 days AFTER I LEAVE so fingers crossed there.
Rocky's shed should be done- I have my sprays (for cleaning), a tub- well, my list. I am really, really excited.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Good luck, ket us know how she does. All mine have come to love car rides, its a great form of enrichment imho

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
Good luck, ket us know how she does. All mine have come to love car rides, its a great form of enrichment imho
Thank you. We just finished sitting in the window (inside) and I received my first scratch. The trees blowing in the wind excited her - No blood was drawn but I definitely felt it. Here's a picture- shedding tail and all. I usually support her better for balance but I was trying to be careful around her shed and SHE wanted to be held that way. I don't think I have a say in ANYTHING. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20220712_162152.jpg
    20220712_162152.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 78

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom