First Time Out of the Viv

Status
Not open for further replies.

crickest

Juvie Member
Well, Spark got to come out of his viv and explore for the first time today. We've taken him out and let him sit on the bed before this, but all he would do was crouch down and try to become one with the bed. When we took him out today, he stood up and looked around. Eventually he crawled down the edge of the bedspread and onto the floor. We let him explore for about five minutes (still need to beardie proof the room - would hate for him to try and swallow a lego piece or a piece of old ding dong - its my son's room :oops: ). When I went to pick him back up to finish feeding him, he puffed and tore across the room into the bathroom. He was definately not ready to go back into his viv. We were all very impressed with his bravery.

Of course, just after that I put his new thermo (acurite digital probe from Walmart - and don't get me started about how flipping difficult it was to find the darn thing!) in his viv. He bearded at the probe being in his spot. Was not happy. Had some great patterns in the stress marks on his belly and chest. I'm pretty sure he thinks the thing is going to eat him.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Isn't it funny how "threatening" those thermometers are? Our 10 month old did the same thing for an entire day the first time we put one in his viv.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I cant keep one in Rubens Viv. I have to put it in and watch him like a hawk.
He tries to kill and eat it every time.

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
As my son said when he was four, "It's wary, wary dangerous!"

At least I don't have that problem, . . . I just hope it doesn't keep Spark from basking, although its not on his absolute favorite spot. The probe is right under the light and Spark's favorite spot is a little off to one side.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
Eventually he'll get used to it :D If nothing else, he'll just decide to move the probe over and you'll just have to put it back. We are constantly doing that.. and if you know what your temps are, then a few moments without the probe directly under the light shouldn't hurt.

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I peeled the sticky piece off the back and actually stuck it to his log. :blob5: Good luck to him if he can move it.

I have a question though, being a mom and all, I worry about the cord for the probe. Has anyone experienced any issues with this? I have it going up the side of the viv and then back down into the viv by his basking spot, but I still worry about tangling. Has anyone else had an issue with tangling?

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
I haven't had any issues as of yet, but we have the unit itself sitting on one side of the viv and the cord tucked underneath the tiles along the backside and then enough of it out to rest on basking spots. It may be easier for us this way as we have slate as the basking areas... they used to use logs for basking, but since they don't absorb heat very well, we were having digestion issues with Nero. Now the logs are in there just for lounging... Lounge Lizards! HA!

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, it looks like my basking temp is about 106 - 107 when he's not laying on it. When he's laying on it, it's about 83. :lol: His favorite spot, which is just a little higher and off to the side, runs about 102 - 103, but he does move back and forth between the two. I think it depends on how full he is . . . :lol: The cool side is 77 - 79, which is too cool, I think. I changed out the light bulb I was using for a higher wattage. Unfortunately, all I have is CFL's, and they don't put out a lot of heat. Is there any problem with using CFL's? If I can't get the cool side temp up, I'll buy a 40 or 60 watt regular bulb and try that.

He ate about 60 crickets this morning, and three droppers of squash, but hadn't touched his silkies yet, by the time I had to leave. Yesterday, he ate about a half cup of dandelions. He is also a beardie who will drink from his water dish, rather than poop in it. He is very well hydrated. :)

It is sooo much easier feeding a baby who isn't sick. It makes me so happy and eases a worry I still carry from Ash.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I'm almost positive your cool side temps are fine. I think they are actually suposed to be 75-85*. Hopefully someone can confirm that.
Sara

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Using the larger bulb upped the cool side temps to just at 80 degrees. The basking temps where he loves to lay are about 104, and directly under the lamp is 110. He'll lay directly under the light for a while, then he'll vent, then he'll move to the 104 degree spot. (I do the same thing in the sauna.)

crickest

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thought I'd share some photos of Spark's second time out of the viv.

He loved looking out the window. We are going to rearrange the furniture so the bed is under the window so if he is startled or jumps from the window ledge he won't hurt himself.

IMGP1224.jpg

IMGP1229.jpg

IMGP1232.jpg

And then he moved to the floor. He is adjusting to being out of his viv quite well. . .

IMGP1236.jpg

IMGP1237.jpg

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Awww he looks great! Standing tall and lookng around at everything rather than pushing himself to the floor in defensive mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom