First time Beardie owners.

Dmboyd2019

Beardie name(s)
Vader
Hey yall! My son and I are new beardie owners. Just excited about this new life we are adding to our family! He likes to sleep standing up, added a pic to show what I mean. He's a hoot.

So far he seems fine, but how do you know if they are drinking or drinking enough. Also was sold a 10% uvb and he started acting weird so did some research and lowered it to 5% but now he gets on top of his tallest rock to get closer to the uvb. Any suggestions on that? We getting a 55 gallon enclosure in 2 days so he's in a small one right now.

Attachments

• 20220623_221435.jpg
    20220623_221435.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 140

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey yall! My son and I are new beardie owners. Just excited about this new life we are adding to our family! He likes to sleep standing up, added a pic to show what I mean. He's a hoot.

So far he seems fine, but how do you know if they are drinking or drinking enough. Also was sold a 10% uvb and he started acting weird so did some research and lowered it to 5% but now he gets on top of his tallest rock to get closer to the uvb. Any suggestions on that? We getting a 55 gallon enclosure in 2 days so he's in a small one right now.
Please get a long tube fixture -- I am assuming you have one- NO coils and yes he needs a stronger UVB - you want a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank - a Zoo Med is a good one or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - the Zoo Med will come w/a 5.0 bulb this can be kept for a back up or used on a 20 gallon tank if your tank is bigger you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- this is crucial to your dragons health along w/ surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - he will quit eating if any of this is off -- no colored bulbs or coils no daytime basking bulbs - you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb examples of those are Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking bulbs or Exo Terra Intense --- the UVB will have certain placement and distance depending on the screen you have --- I can help you get your tank set up and diet recommendations as well --- you want 2 digital probe thermometers -
the sleeping standing up is normal -- I had one of mine that used to sleep in a plastic cactus--

Dmboyd2019

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vader
Please get a long tube fixture -- I am assuming you have one- NO coils and yes he needs a stronger UVB - you want a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank - a Zoo Med is a good one or a Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb - the Zoo Med will come w/a 5.0 bulb this can be kept for a back up or used on a 20 gallon tank if your tank is bigger you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb --- this is crucial to your dragons health along w/ surface basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - he will quit eating if any of this is off -- no colored bulbs or coils no daytime basking bulbs - you want a solid clear bright white basking bulb examples of those are Flukers Zoo Med Repti basking bulbs or Exo Terra Intense --- the UVB will have certain placement and distance depending on the screen you have --- I can help you get your tank set up and diet recommendations as well --- you want 2 digital probe thermometers -
the sleeping standing up is normal -- I had one of mine that used to sleep in a plastic cactus--
I will be getting that like I said. I'll be getting the big tank in 2 days. This is a temp enclosure. The reason I lowered the uvb was based on stuff I read on here. He had been getting clumsy and walking odd by the end of the day. Since I lowered it, he hasn't done any of that. So im concerned with upping the uvb until I get the larger enclosure.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is the care sheet found on this site,its good info.
Beardies are the most fantastic pets ever congrats on your new lil buddy!
That being said there setup and care is extremely important and specific. Please take a little time need really study up on it. It will be the difference between the most rewarding pet or the saddest experience you'll ever have.
The lights have to be right. Absolutely no coil type uvb.they just don't work. Use tube type 2/3 the length of your habitat. It's best if you can safely mount it inside the habitat. If not use a stronger bulb because the screen blocks a huge amount of the uvb. The beardie needs to be able to get within 10 to 12 inches (ish) of uvb.
The basking for babies is warmer. Measure with a digital probe type thermometer to be accurate. For babies 105 to 108 (ish) adults 100 to 101 (ish). Babies feed protein 2 to 3 times daily. As much as they will eat in 10 to 15 minutes. Dust with calcium Once daily. Dust multivitamin a couple times per week. DON'T leave crickets in the habitat they will attack your dragon. Its best to feed in a separate container. Offer greens all day every day. Mist with water. (Rinse before shredding) You can offer none citrus fruit occasionally. Absolutely no avocado its toxic. No spinach it has calcium binders. Generally no lettuce can give small amount for hydration.
Sorry im long winded but their care is important to health and happiness.
Again congrats on your beardie, welcome to the rabbit hole :cool:

Dmboyd2019

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vader
That being said there setup and care is extremely important and specific. Please take a little time need really study up on it. It will be the difference between the most rewarding pet or the saddest experience you'll ever have.
The lights have to be right. Absolutely no coil type uvb.they just don't work. Use tube type 2/3 the length of your habitat. It's best if you can safely mount it inside the habitat. If not use a stronger bulb because the screen blocks a huge amount of the uvb. The beardie needs to be able to get within 10 to 12 inches (ish) of uvb.
The basking for babies is warmer. Measure with a digital probe type thermometer to be accurate. For babies 105 to 108 (ish) adults 100 to 101 (ish). Babies feed protein 2 to 3 times daily. As much as they will eat in 10 to 15 minutes. Dust with calcium Once daily. Dust multivitamin a couple times per week. DON'T leave crickets in the habitat they will attack your dragon. Its best to feed in a separate container. Offer greens all day every day. Mist with water. (Rinse before shredding) You can offer none citrus fruit occasionally. Absolutely no avocado its toxic. No spinach it has calcium binders. Generally no lettuce can give small amount for hydration.
No I appreciate all the info!!!! Thank you so much!! My sons cat just passed away and he decided he wanted to get a beardie. So send me as much info as possible lol. I'll take it.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I will be getting that like I said. I'll be getting the big tank in 2 days. This is a temp enclosure. The reason I lowered the uvb was based on stuff I read on here. He had been getting clumsy and walking odd by the end of the day. Since I lowered it, he hasn't done any of that. So im concerned with upping the uvb until I get the larger enclosure.
Uvb it critical, instead of lowering it give your dragon a hide so he can decide. They are really good at knowing what they need

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Im sorry to hear about your cat (they are me 2nd fav pet)
The folks here are great. Dont hesitate to ask about anything. You never have to guess just ask and someone will usually have a good answer here.

Dmboyd2019

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vader
Uvb it critical, instead of lowering it give your dragon a hide so he can decide. They are really good at knowing what they need
Well since I lowered it, he's stopped being clumsy and walking weird. Once i get the bigger enclosure. I'll get the bigger one out :)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Cool.
Best i can tell Karrieree is the lighting expert here. I would follow her advice.
I've learned tons of stuff i had off by just a bit just seeing her reply to others.

Dmboyd2019

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vader

Attachments

• VID_121250724_023013_474.mp4
    1.1 MB

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
I’m not sure if you have purchased it already or even the cost. If you haven’t purchased already I would recommend you looking into this 120g tank. 4x2x2 (120 Gallon) Bearded Dragon Enclosure

I understand it’s a lil big but I wish somebody had told me it would’ve saved me sooooo much money in the long run. Outside of that they love space but once they get to be 18in the 120g tank is needed. I purchased a 10, 20, and 40. I could’ve just brought the 120 and saved a lot of money

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
i agree rango, i wasted so much money on smaller habitats. also i foolishly bought top opening tanks. i blew so many bulbs trying to get into those BAH just get the big front opening habitats and save yourself the head ache.

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
i agree rango, i wasted so much money on smaller habitats. also i foolishly bought top opening tanks. i blew so many bulbs trying to get into those BAH just get the big front opening habitats and save yourself the head ache.
Exactly. All these tanks for NOTHING.

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
I’m not sure if you have purchased it already or even the cost. If you haven’t purchased already I would recommend you looking into this 120g tank. 4x2x2 (120 Gallon) Bearded Dragon Enclosure

I understand it’s a lil big but I wish somebody had told me it would’ve saved me sooooo much money in the long run. Outside of that they love space but once they get to be 18in the 120g tank is needed. I purchased a 10, 20, and 40. I could’ve just brought the 120 and saved a lot of money
So true--- exactly where I am now! My tank will be here in 3 days (excited)- At least I started at the 40 gal-and I am not a month into this journey. You are so correct!

Dmboyd2019

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Vader
Arcadia light for life - prot5 uvb kit 24w 12%uvb. This is what I got today is that gonna work

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom