First time Beardie owner

Dave_in_LA

Beardie name(s)
Poppy
Hi!! First time owner here.
Is the basking light the white light or the red light?
Can someone explain the difference and how it should be used?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
basking is the white light used for heat. red or blue (any color) should never be used. you also need a long tube uvb bulb as well as the basking light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi!! First time owner here.
Is the basking light the white light or the red light?
Can someone explain the difference and how it should be used?
Yes please get rid of the red bulb--- they can/ will cause long term eye damage--- dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators and they can see better than you and I please do not use it- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb examples are Exo Terra Intense basking bulb-- Arcadia Halogen -- Zoo Med Repti basking or Flukers --- you need a long tube fixture for a UVB like these
24" for a 40+ gallon tank Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb if your using a 20 gallon tank now it can be used if your tank is 40+ you want this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or you can look at PetSmart for this fixture it is very good -- you want the 12% bulb
When you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes and there is a difference between the 5.0 bulb and the 10.0 bulb
please get two of these Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
they are imperative to get actual surface basking temps - 105-110 for a baby--- the basking bulb is going to be trial and error you will need those probes to get correct temps -- you dont want to burn him up
you dont want to use a coil UVB they are inadequate and will cause long term health issues --- so if you have that please get rid of it

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
basking is the white light used for heat. red or blue (any color) should never be used. you also need a long tube uvb bulb as well as the basking light.
Oh my!! I started out with the starter kit and it included both lights. My beardie has been basking under the red light for the past week and I think it's caused damage to his eyes. He can barely keep his eyes open. I'm so sad. He also doesn't seem to be doing well. Doesn't eat much or move much.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Oh my!! I started out with the starter kit and it included both lights. My beardie has been basking under the red light for the past week and I think it's caused damage to his eyes. He can barely keep his eyes open. I'm so sad. He also doesn't seem to be doing well. Doesn't eat much or move much.
Please get the things I posted as soon as you can --- shut the red light off and do not use it-- the things I posted for you are crucial to the over all health and behavior of the dragon--- he wont eat till you get these things corrected --- and if hes a baby he wont last long --

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
Yes please get rid of the red bulb--- they can/ will cause long term eye damage--- dragons have a 3rd eye on top of their heads for predators and they can see better than you and I please do not use it- you want a clear solid bright white basking bulb examples are Exo Terra Intense basking bulb-- Arcadia Halogen -- Zoo Med Repti basking or Flukers --- you need a long tube fixture for a UVB like these
24" for a 40+ gallon tank Zoo Med ReptiSun T5 HO High Output Terrarium Hood this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb if your using a 20 gallon tank now it can be used if your tank is 40+ you want this bulb 22" Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO or you can look at PetSmart for this fixture it is very good -- you want the 12% bulb
When you get the UVB please post back on here and I will help you get it placed for your tank - the screen will determine where it goes and there is a difference between the 5.0 bulb and the 10.0 bulb
please get two of these Zoo Med Digital Thermometer
they are imperative to get actual surface basking temps - 105-110 for a baby--- the basking bulb is going to be trial and error you will need those probes to get correct temps -- you dont want to burn him up
you dont want to use a coil UVB they are inadequate and will cause long term health issues --- so if you have that please get rid of it
Thank you for the info. I started out with the starter kit and both lights were included. He's been basking under the red light for the past week. I have a feeling it's already damaged his eyes. He hasn't been able to open his eyes wide for a couple of days. He's also not eating or moving. I don't know what to do. I'm so sad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for the info. I started out with the starter kit and both lights were included. He's been basking under the red light for the past week. I have a feeling it's already damaged his eyes. He hasn't been able to open his eyes wide for a couple of days. He's also not eating or moving. I don't know what to do. I'm so sad.
Get the things I posted --- once you get the light off of him and the correct lighting I posted for you he can turn around and recover but you must get what I posted --- he also needs to be hydrated --- please drop water on his nose to see if he will lick - keep doing that till he stops licking

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
Get the things I posted --- once you get the light off of him and the correct lighting I posted for you he can turn around and recover but you must get what I posted --- he also needs to be hydrated --- please drop water on his nose to see if he will lick - keep doing that till he stops licking
I turned off the red light. Moved his basking rock under the white light and started dropping water on his nose. He must've been thirsty because he did lick alot of the water. His eyes opened up a bit and he seems to be doing somewhat better.

My question now is, since he is a baby do i need to hand feed his water daily? Because i don't think he's been drinking his water from the water dish.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
a lot of people get sold that kit. we see problems from them quite often unfortunately. the person i rescued our guy from did too. at 6 months old sir henry was very sick, but after getting parasites taken care of and doing set up changes he's a thriving 2 year old monster! :LOL: so don't feel too bad. the good news is things can be done to fix your set up and you're on the right track now. keep working with karrieree and things should work out fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I turned off the red light. Moved his basking rock under the white light and started dropping water on his nose. He must've been thirsty because he did lick alot of the water. His eyes opened up a bit and he seems to be doing somewhat better.

My question now is, since he is a baby do i need to hand feed his water daily? Because i don't think he's been drinking his water from the water dish.
Most do not drink from a water dish --- bathing is a popular method but since hes new and in new surroundings I recommend dropping water on his nose a few times a week - most dragons get their hydration from salads and gut loaded insects - what are you feeding --- but the key here is to get your tank set up correctly w/ proper surface basking temps and UVB this is critical --- I can help you w/ diet and the set up but you must get the correct husbandry - if your using a coil UVB they are NO good please get what I posted and do so NOW - his health is declining w/ every day you dont have this stuff

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
a lot of people get sold that kit. we see problems from them quite often unfortunately. the person i rescued our guy from did too. at 6 months old sir henry was very sick, but after getting parasites taken care of and doing set up changes he's a thriving 2 year old monster! :LOL: so don't feel too bad. the good news is things can be done to fix your set up and you're on the right track now. keep working with karrieree and things should work out fine.
Thanks for all your help.

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
Most do not drink from a water dish --- bathing is a popular method but since hes new and in new surroundings I recommend dropping water on his nose a few times a week - most dragons get their hydration from salads and gut loaded insects - what are you feeding --- but the key here is to get your tank set up correctly w/ proper surface basking temps and UVB this is critical --- I can help you w/ diet and the set up but you must get the correct husbandry - if your using a coil UVB they are NO good please get what I posted and do so NOW - his health is declining w/ every day you dont have this stuff
Is coil UVB the dome lights that came with the kit?
And what does "gut loaded" mean? Are the crickets from the store not sufficient enough the way they are?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is coil UVB the dome lights that came with the kit?
And what does "gut loaded" mean? Are the crickets from the store not sufficient enough the way they are?
A coil is in a dome - and it probably came w/ the kit -- those are NO good please replace w/ what I posted earlier -- gut loaded means you need to feed them before you feed the dragon - they need to be hydrated as well and fed good - what you feed the insects is what the dragon is going to eat---- please get him on dubia roaches do not feed bigger than the space between his eyes use the chart on this website
www.dubiaroaches.com you will save money by buying on line than from the pet stores -- the dubias are easier to care for and more nutritional --- you can also get him some nutri grubs they are a small larvae and calcium enriched- do not dust them - they are great staple for babies and a good compliment to the roaches- please set up a 10 gallon aquarium for the roaches order like 200 along w/ some dubia food and dubia dew for hydration -- feed them that along w/ what you feed the dragon - I havent had any luck w/ them eating greens - but they will eat squash and fruit raw sweet potato etc--- here is a nutrition website for you ignore the kale info it is outdated Nutrition Content
what size tank is the dragon in? Please start feeding salads rinse the greens before serving -- when you get the nutri grubs use them as lures to the salad bowl https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
feed as many as you want -- your dragon should be eating approx 12-15 roaches per feeding as long as your feeding the correct size --- he should be fed 2 times per day and depending on how much he eats in the morning will depend on how much he eats in the second feeding - I can post more websites for feeders if you like --- you can get some medium super worms to feed on top of those salads 1-3 they are a treat worm and should be fed every other day -- you dont want him hooked on the super worms -- your roaches should be dusted 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 you need good UVB for him to absorb / synthesize this and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - coat lightly --

Dave_in_LA

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Poppy
A coil is in a dome - and it probably came w/ the kit -- those are NO good please replace w/ what I posted earlier -- gut loaded means you need to feed them before you feed the dragon - they need to be hydrated as well and fed good - what you feed the insects is what the dragon is going to eat---- please get him on dubia roaches do not feed bigger than the space between his eyes use the chart on this website
www.dubiaroaches.com you will save money by buying on line than from the pet stores -- the dubias are easier to care for and more nutritional --- you can also get him some nutri grubs they are a small larvae and calcium enriched- do not dust them - they are great staple for babies and a good compliment to the roaches- please set up a 10 gallon aquarium for the roaches order like 200 along w/ some dubia food and dubia dew for hydration -- feed them that along w/ what you feed the dragon - I havent had any luck w/ them eating greens - but they will eat squash and fruit raw sweet potato etc--- here is a nutrition website for you ignore the kale info it is outdated Nutrition Content
what size tank is the dragon in? Please start feeding salads rinse the greens before serving -- when you get the nutri grubs use them as lures to the salad bowl Amazon.com
feed as many as you want -- your dragon should be eating approx 12-15 roaches per feeding as long as your feeding the correct size --- he should be fed 2 times per day and depending on how much he eats in the morning will depend on how much he eats in the second feeding - I can post more websites for feeders if you like --- you can get some medium super worms to feed on top of those salads 1-3 they are a treat worm and should be fed every other day -- you dont want him hooked on the super worms -- your roaches should be dusted 5 x per week ONCE per feeding w/ calcium D3 you need good UVB for him to absorb / synthesize this and vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - coat lightly --
Wow I didn't realize how complicated owning a Beardie could be. I guess that's my fault for not doing adequate research before agreeing to buy one for my daughter. Thank you so much Karrie for answering my questions. I hope I can get things straightened out before it's too late.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wow I didn't realize how complicated owning a Beardie could be. I guess that's my fault for not doing adequate research before agreeing to buy one for my daughter. Thank you so much Karrie for answering my questions. I hope I can get things straightened out before it's too late.
Get your lighting fixed ASAP that is crucial + he won't eat w/ out correct husbandry- if you need more help or have more questions there are plenty on this board that can help- let me know how his eyes are doing / the red light off

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom