First time Beardie owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Hey All!

I bought a new little buddy, its (don't know if its girl or boy) name is Jaumbi! He is about 3 1/2 months old.
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/me...-my-jaumbi.jpg

I've never had a reptile before, so I went and researched as much as I could when I bought him and set up his home. Right now he is in my old 20 gal fish tank for a few months until I buy him a proper sized home but I figured right now he's little and has plenty of space until then. I bought him a nice piece of grapevine to bask on and some fake plants to hang on the walls and a couple of decorative fake cactus's that are safe for lizards. He's also got a dish for fresh veggies a dish for water and a smaller dish for various worms (its the deep one so they don't escape!) and a nice reptile hammock in his basking area incase he wants to hang out on that. I also have one of those heaters that go under the tank in his basking spot to keep the area nice and warm, and have two thermometers one in his basking area and one in his cool spot. The basking temp is between 98 and 100 and his cool area is around 84 or 85.
When I first brought him home he was pretty hungry he ate like 6 crickets and some of his veggies (Minced kale, carrot, red and yellow peppers, and some kiwi with no seeds) and then later another 4 crickets and the next morning about 5 crickets. I powder the crickets with calcium powder.
Today he's only eaten maybe 2 crickets and doesn't seem to have the same appetite as he did when I first brought him home. I'm wondering if maybe he's just not as hungry or maybe I am doing something wrong..?

If anyone has any advice to maybe help me be a good owner that would be great. I really want him to be happy

Thank you!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Please, can we know what you are using for a UV source? Type and brand.
Bearded dragons tend to get relocation stress, when moved. They can also get cases when their enclosures are adjusted or moved around. During this time they tend to not eat as much, they sometimes seem groggy and others seem very curious going from place to place in their enclosures smelling everything. Relocation stress generally will last for 1 week, keep in mind there are always exceptions to every rule, general or not.
To ease relocation stress I would recommend administering Bene-Bac, the gel form is easy to use as in comes in a small tube.

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay so I checked the bulbs and the UVB bulb says Eco-terra "Reptiglo 10.0 UVB" and is a 75 watt, and the basking light is eco-terra "Reptisun basking" and its also a 75 watt.
Right now he's sorta just hanging out on his plant right by the basking bulb most of the time, I dunno if he's stressed or not I have been holding him a few times a day. The book says to try and hold them often so they get used to you....when he gets squirrely I put him back in his enclosure.
So you think he is stressed and recommend getting something to ease stress like a gel?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The gel doesn't actually ease the stress, what it is, is natural good gut flora. Stress levels can decrease good gut flora in lizards just the same as it does in people.

Is the UV a bulb? Strip light? or coil?

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm pretty sure its one of those coil bulbs. The woman I work with has had a beardie for 7 years and she picked all this stuff out for me. :/
I tried to give him crickets this morning and he didn't go for them, I did do it immediately after I turned on his bulbs though....
I'm going to see if I can get some of this gel, does he have to eat it?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I would never use a coil UV source for any of my dragons.. it's an opinion but, an opinion made from learning. It may be that your dragon is not getting enough or proper UV from that particular light. If after 1 week of stress in general dragons ease out of it and come around. Their appetites pick up. If after that said period of time your dragon doesn't seem to be coming around you may want to get a different UV source. Most recommended would be a Reptisun 10.0 florescent strip light, the light should span at least 75% of the enclosure it is to be used on. Mounted without obstruction. :wink:

tattykassy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think my beardie is going to be okay, she ate around 20 crickets total today and 3 wax worms. I think she was just stressed :)
I'll look into the bulb, the woman that recommended it has had her beardie for 7 years so far, she said it was a good one to use for the size of tank I have currently....It is a 10.0 UVB bulb.
I'll have to update my info, I'm new here and I'm not entirely sure how to work the features on this site :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk
Hi everyone, I have a question please. I have a thick branch I got from outside. It has been in freezing temperatures so I know that it is insect free. I took it off the ground and sat it up during a night we got down to 15 so the entire thing would freeze. Well tonight I put white vinegar all over it too cleanse it since it won't fit in my oven. Do I need to rinse with water tomorrow or is it fine left alone dried?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2butlerbeardies
Top Bottom