First Spring with no eggs..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzilly

Hey everyone, I am new here. I have a 3 year old female who laid infertile eggs in 2018 (133) and 2019 (206!), and then she has laid zero this year. This is a happy occurrence for us, because after her 206 eggs last year the vet wanted to spay her, for her health's sake. I decided to see how this Spring went. My question is, is it common for them to stop laying eggs, or should I still be anticipating eggs in the future? She seems happier and healthier now, so if this is our new normal, it would be great! I can't seem to find much on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm sure that both she and you would be relieved if she got a break now. :) Was she healthy during all of her egg laying ? That's the important thing. As long as she was healthy + had plenty of calcium to replenish her then she should be fine even if she lays more. Some of my females laid [ fertile ] around 200 eggs in a season, one of them laid about 300.

Godzilly

Original Poster
Yes and no, by the end of last season the eggs started to look worse for wear (they are usually plump and bright, the last clutch had all dented eggs, yellow, thin and there was even a broken one ?) and since she won't eat much when she is gravid it was hard getting calcium in her in the three weeks between clutches. We put her on a Rx concentrated calcium syrup from the vet. We took xrays and her bones looked good. But then she didn't have another clutch after that. I am hoping this no egg life is ours now, looking forward to getting rid of the 50lb lay bin that I had to keep moving between home and school (she is a part time class pet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom