First bearded dragon, Questioning?? LOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileRy

okay, hey everyone, two days ago i bought my first beardie! i love her to death already... and thats what scares me. well first off, when i came home yesterday there was a good sized poop next to her food dish, so i was excited, but a few minutes later on her basking rock there was to be what looked like either diaherra or melted poop... idk which it was. but i cleaned it up. then a few minutes later, she regurgitated her meal.. which i now know never to ever feed my baby mealworms again.. but she seemed pretty exhausted after that then she went to sleep, this morning, after i turned her lights on and it started to warm up, she ran right out and started looking around, and moving alot. but right now shes kinda just sitting in the middle of her tank and closing her eyes on occasion. im gonna be getting pinhead crickets for her today. but im still very worried.. im 15 and have 4 reptiles and love this one to death.. so please help out.. and there arent any reptile vets even close to me..

and just for a quick update, shes just eatting some romaine lettuce now. so her appetite is back! :blob5:

ReptileRy

Original Poster
beamingdragon":3ltn9tnh said:
hi,so where did your get this dragon?
what are the temps on the basking and the cool side?
how old is the dragon?

well, i bought him from a breeder mark miller from locolizards at a reptile expo.
the basking temps is about 113 and the cool side in the 80s
not to sure on age, but his about 5 or 6 inches long so not to old.

okay well how long have you had her?
are you dusting her crickets with calcuim?
does he have uvb/uva?
is tht all you are feeding her?

also you should not be feeding her mealworms unless he is 10". it cause impaction and can lead to death. so i would not feed her any meal worms untill she gets that length. are you feeding her any greens?

ReptileRy

Original Poster
beamingdragon":3kldkiw4 said:
okay well how long have you had her?
are you dusting her crickets with calcuim?
does he have uvb/uva?
is tht all you are feeding her?

also you should not be feeding her mealworms unless he is 10". it cause impaction and can lead to death. so i would not feed her any meal worms untill she gets that length. are you feeding her any greens?

going to get crickets today, and im also getting the uvb bulb today, but i have been bringing her outside for about 15 minutes in the sun for that since i dont have one yet. i have had her for 2 and a half days now. and she has greens in there right now. which she has been eating since her incident last night. as of right now she is running up to the tank when i type and giving me funny looks. haha.

haha thts funny! okay she could of been acting like this just because is a new surounding and shes unsure of things! but if the problem keep happing you might have to take her to the vet. injoy your new member of the family!!

are you holding her she might of regugertaied her food because he ate and you messed with her and she happed to do that. since you just got her make sure your not holding her for at least 4 days so she can used to this. good luck.

ReptileRy

Original Poster
so you think all of that could have caused the vomiting? or was that the mealworms? and what do you think about that poop..?

shes in her basking spot right now but has her eyes closed.. i have a basking bulb 75 watt i bought from the expo as well. but she always seems to have her eyes closed when shes not moving.. dont know if thats because the bulb is bright or if shes just enjoying the heat.

well after she ate, i put my hand in there to clean some stuff up and she ran on my hand.. haha. so i took her out to re adjust her and put her right back in. hope that wasnt what it was.. id feel awful...

Maxwellsmomma1989

Hatchling Member
its good shes super friendly but if at all possible you wanna wait two hours after her meals before handling her as this is their digestion period its great your taking her outside try to go longer if possible though i have heard on here that a half hour outside is worth 5 hours of a tank bulb so i try to do an hour outside that way she gets her full 10 hour days worth without a uvb bulb

ReptileRy

Original Poster
Maxwellsmomma1989":27p4h24y said:
its good shes super friendly but if at all possible you wanna wait two hours after her meals before handling her as this is their digestion period its great your taking her outside try to go longer if possible though i have heard on here that a half hour outside is worth 5 hours of a tank bulb so i try to do an hour outside that way she gets her full 10 hour days worth without a uvb bulb

Thank You! i honestly didnt try to handle her, she just ran up on me and i took her off, it wasnt even 30 seconds. ill be taking her out longer then.

shes being weird agin.. she just bolted off of her basking spot, ran up into the tank and kept pasing, then she lifted her tail and pooped.. haha. almost looked like she was having a panic attack before. the poop isnt completly water but it doesnt look to solid either. kinda a really wet brown pile with the white cap around it..

ReptileRy

Original Poster
photo.jpg

ignore the green. its part of the paper towel.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi ReptileRy, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new baby.

I'm glad to hear that you won't be feeding any mealworms anymore because they are an impaction risk due to their chitin shell.
also you should not be feeding her mealworms unless he is 10". it cause impaction and can lead to death. so i would not feed her any meal worms untill she gets that length.
I think this member was confusing superworms with mealworms. In order to feed superworms, a beardie needs to be at least 15" because at a young age, they have a kink in their digestive system that makes it hard for them to be able to digest superworms sufficiently. Good that you're gonna get some crickets instead, you might want to consider going with the small size because they seem to survive better and are easier to handle. There isn't much size difference between the pinheads and smalls.

Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using and where exactly you're taking the temps?

Good that you've been taking him outside, if you're not using a leash, be very careful because if they get scared, they can run very quickly and some owners have lost their beardies that way. Make sure you only get the Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent tube (not compact or coil type) or the Arcadia brand UVB's.

Are you using a bright white basking bulb? What size is the tank and what is the wattage of the basking bulb? Do you have calcium and vitamins on hand already?

Make sure to keep him well hydrated by offering oral fluids or bathing him at least 3 to 4 times a wk. If he isn't very nervous, it's fine to handle him for a little while daily but make sure he has had at least 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to digest under the basking bulb first. Babies are very quick so be careful he doesn't jump from your hands and get hurt so a good idea to pick him up while sitting on one of your hands and having the other hand cupped loosely around him.

Here's a site that shows the best greens to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Romaine lettuce is mostly water, not much nutritional value at all so that could be why the poop is quite runny. The white part of the poop is the urate (urine) and is completely normal. Take a look at the foods in green ink for the daily nutritional greens & veggies.

That's great that he ran up your hand, shows he's getting used to you. :D Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions and please fill us in on the thermometer.

ReptileRy

Original Poster
diamc":22ctg4vh said:
Hi ReptileRy, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new baby.

I'm glad to hear that you won't be feeding any mealworms anymore because they are an impaction risk due to their chitin shell.
also you should not be feeding her mealworms unless he is 10". it cause impaction and can lead to death. so i would not feed her any meal worms untill she gets that length.
I think this member was confusing superworms with mealworms. In order to feed superworms, a beardie needs to be at least 15" because at a young age, they have a kink in their digestive system that makes it hard for them to be able to digest superworms sufficiently. Good that you're gonna get some crickets instead, you might want to consider going with the small size because they seem to survive better and are easier to handle. There isn't much size difference between the pinheads and smalls.

Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using and where exactly you're taking the temps?

Good that you've been taking him outside, if you're not using a leash, be very careful because if they get scared, they can run very quickly and some owners have lost their beardies that way. Make sure you only get the Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent tube (not compact or coil type) or the Arcadia brand UVB's.

Are you using a bright white basking bulb? What size is the tank and what is the wattage of the basking bulb? Do you have calcium and vitamins on hand already?

Make sure to keep him well hydrated by offering oral fluids or bathing him at least 3 to 4 times a wk. If he isn't very nervous, it's fine to handle him for a little while daily but make sure he has had at least 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to digest under the basking bulb first. Babies are very quick so be careful he doesn't jump from your hands and get hurt so a good idea to pick him up while sitting on one of your hands and having the other hand cupped loosely around him.

Here's a site that shows the best greens to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Romaine lettuce is mostly water, not much nutritional value at all so that could be why the poop is quite runny. The white part of the poop is the urate (urine) and is completely normal. Take a look at the foods in green ink for the daily nutritional greens & veggies.

That's great that he ran up your hand, shows he's getting used to you. :D Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions and please fill us in on the thermometer.

yeah, im taking the temps with an electronic probe monitor on the basking rock, next to it, and the cool side. the bulb im using is a 75 watt basking bulb.
i do have calcium on hand but it has d3 and i read that they shouldnt have that? but im not 100% on that. i would love to get her a leash but shes just so small still. ive been taking a smaller but longer tub i have and putting her in that. and so i should go with the smalls instead of pinheads?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that you're using a probe thermometer, make sure you wait 45 min to an hr before getting the final readings. What size is the tank?

Calcium with D3 is fine unless you're using a mercury vapor bulb that gives off both heat and UV rays, then you would need to use the calcium without D3.

Yes, I would go with small crickets instead. I tried pinheads on one of my babies years ago that was only 3 1/2" long but he had a hard time catching them, once I got the small size, he did much better. I have raised all my babies on the small size when they were little.

Great that you've been giving baths. Does he like that?

ReptileRy

Original Poster
diamc":3529457e said:
Good that you're using a probe thermometer, make sure you wait 45 min to an hr before getting the final readings. What size is the tank?

Calcium with D3 is fine unless you're using a mercury vapor bulb that gives off both heat and UV rays, then you would need to use the calcium without D3.

Yes, I would go with small crickets instead. I tried pinheads on one of my babies years ago that was only 3 1/2" long but he had a hard time catching them, once I got the small size, he did much better. I have raised all my babies on the small size when they were little.

Great that you've been giving baths. Does he like that?

im just using a basking bulb, doesnt have uv rays. so d3 should be fine?
okay cool, im just super scared after last night.. i want everything right.

i actually havent tried a bath yet! gonna attempt that today. im guessing she will. she runs into her water dish and doesnt mind. haha.

the tank is a 30 gal tub for a temp home.. im trying to find enough money for a 55 or 40 gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom