Finding closure on Dio’s sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been over a year since I put Dio to sleep. If you read my previous threads “Sore scabbed lips” and “progress in her recovery” there is a little bit of detail about her there. Basically I got her as a fresh adult from someone on Kijiji, also the name caught my eye since me, my brother, and my mom had watched Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. There was another family that was going to get her first but somehow they didn’t take her. So we drove over to pick up Dio. Her owner could not keep her since she (the owner) was expecting (and had cats). On the ride home I discovered a few things; razor sharp claws enough to pierce skin (my hands were in pain for a week), her lips were scabbed, eye lids were crusty.
Now let’s highlight feeding. I googled and the top results kept saying not to feed an adult every day, if they ate too much one day; wait 24-48 (or more) hours until the next feeding. Heck, I think a few sources said adults should be fed twice a week. This led to the next issues; how much to feed and how often. I fed her probably between 1-4 times a week. I always had to force feed her, she never ate on her own. We once offered her earthworms, showed interest but every time she grabbed a hold of it, she’d drop it. Now that I think about it; Dio should have to been fed at least everyday and given more calcium than snails could ask for.
She spent more time outside of her enclosure so she never got that much UVB or UVA. Dio slept a lot too. I actively had to pinch her toes or tail to get any response out of her. She sometimes would yawn, and commonly open her mouth and blow a gust of air usually at my headphones. She pooped almost everyday. During the time we got her help, she wasn’t digesting things properly.
Signs of MBD was only found in one toe/finger. Later she got tail rot (wrot?). Not long after that we finally went to the vet. For three weeks of treatment Dio got better, by week four her belly seemed more plump vertically and she was going rapidly back down hill. The vet said she looked to be forming eggs but she had a high probability of them being stuck. If you are wondering surprisingly enough her poor digestion wasn’t found to be influenced by parasites.
I still wonder to this day what was wrong with Dio.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I am so sorry for your loss... She could have parasites or MBD. There could be many things wrong with her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom