Final Sunbaster Reflector Update (other reflectors too)

Beansbanana

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone,

So after months of testing and research, we have finally come to a conclusion on the sunblaster reflector issue. This was accomplished in large part by Dr. Frances and the members of her facebook page, along with myself and a few others on beardeddragon.org.

A few months ago, I had noticed that one of my sunblaster reflectors wasn't actually reflecting (increasing) UV output like it should. With some more tests, I realized that the reflector was essentially doing nothing. I got the same results as I did without a reflector installed. I reached out to Dr. Frances Baines and we started working on the issue right away. After a few months we hit a stalemate until I was able to get into contact with Sunblaster. Our contact at sunblaster mentioned a visual difference we could look for, and that led to some great progress. Soon after, some members in Frances group had discovered what the issue was.

Simply put, the mylar reflective strip was being slid into new sunblaster fixtures backwards. Here is a good image to help explain:
full

(photo credits: Francis Skibicki)

As you can see, the reflector strip needs to be placed into the reflector housing the right way, otherwise the reflective side isn't showing, and no UV will be reflected back down to your reptiles.

So, how do you tell if your reflector strip is installed backwards? Well Francis Skibicki has created a nice poster to help you determine
full

Here is a larger image of the visual difference between the reflector strips being rightside up or not.
full

Dr Frances has put together a much more in depth PDF that is available to be downloaded and viewed here:An Issue with Sunblaster T5-HO Reflectors

So, I encourage everyone to look at their reflectors and verify that their mylar reflective strips are placed in the housing the right way. If not, try to be careful when removing and replacing the strip. There has been a report by Mr.Spectrum of the mylar strip breaking during this process.

Please ask any questions or post here for help identifying your reflector. And it wouldn't hurt to let us know if you checked yours and found it to be the right or wrong way :)

Previous versions of this thread:
Do You Use a Sunblaster T5 Fixture?
UPDATE - SUNBLASTER T5 REFLECTORS - READ

-Brandon
I read through this but I'm still not sure if this could is happening with Reptisun T8 10.0?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I read through this but I'm still not sure if this could is happening with Reptisun T8 10.0?
Reptisun is a bulb. So if you put your reptisun in a sunblaster fixture that had the reflector turned the wrong way, it would.

If you're not using a sunblaster fixture, you don't need to worry about it.

-Brandon

EmberRising

Beardie name(s)
Ember
Did anyone find out about Sunblaster replacing the reflectors? Thanks to your post, I noticed that the Sunblaster light I purchased in June of this year was installed backwards. When I flipped it around to the right side, it slightly cracked (that’s after about 3.5 months of use). Does anyone know if it’s still effective, cracked like this? Or can I get Sunblaster to replace it?

Attachments

• 0B2EC8F8-E52F-4C2C-85FF-88F9140362D8.jpeg
    0B2EC8F8-E52F-4C2C-85FF-88F9140362D8.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 119

EmberRising

Beardie name(s)
Ember
Did anyone find out about Sunblaster replacing the reflectors? Thanks to your post, I noticed that the Sunblaster light I purchased in June of this year was installed backwards. When I flipped it around to the right side, it slightly cracked (that’s after about 3.5 months of use). Does anyone know if it’s still effective, cracked like this? Or can I get Sunblaster to replace it?
When I plugged the light in with the flipped around reflector (right side now facing out), I think it was bent too much and came too close to the bulb bc it put off a bad smell. I contacted Sunblaster through their website and explained the problem to them. They are shipping me a new reflector. Good luck to anyone else who experiences this issue!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Good to hear they are still willing to send out replacement reflectors.

Unfortunately, if you've been using your reflector for any length of time and try to flip it, it most likely will crack.

-Brandon

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom