Femoral pores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I see lots of posts asking if the beardie's femoral pores are clogged.

My question is, what do HEALTHY femoral pores in a male look like? I have no base knowledge to compare my guy's pores to. I'm away for a month, my mom is watching Thor ( and my cats Piper, Norman, and EC) so I can't post pics. But I have been watching videos about neglected bearded dragons and I would like to stay on top of everything.

Maybe someone could make a sticky post with pics on male and fe,female, femoral pores.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I see lots of posts asking if the beardie's femoral pores are clogged.

My question is, what do HEALTHY femoral pores in a male look like? I have no base knowledge to compare my guy's pores to. I'm away for a month, my mom is watching Thor ( and my cats Piper, Norman, and EC) so I can't post pics. But I have been watching videos about neglected bearded dragons and I would like to stay on top of everything.

Maybe someone could make a sticky post with pics on male and fe,female, femoral pores.
@beardie
@AHBD
@CooperDragon
@Drache613

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Clogged pores are not the norm, especially if your dragon has some good places to rub against (rocks/branches). But, it is common enough for pet beardies. The most I've ever had to do in the past was to gently rub off (which pulls out gently) was has started to already come out of the pores. I've seen videos showing how to squeeze out the waxy substance for what seems like maintenance. I can't speak as an expert, but that doesn't seem like a good idea unless they are already clogged and seeming to get irritated. It might be fine for a professional, but I'd be hesitant to recommend it. The best video I have seen on doing so was by Cookie Critters.

But again... unless it looks like there's a problem, I wouldn't try to "unclog" them. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Now... to the root question... what's the difference. I don't have good pictures. I'm sure you can find extreme examples on the Internet, but more useful would be to see what the beginning of cogged pores are like. I can only best describe them as seeming a bit more swollen than normal for your beardie, and/or starting to seem irritated.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Clogged pores are not the norm, especially if your dragon has some good places to rub against (rocks/branches). But, it is common enough for pet beardies. The most I've ever had to do in the past was to gently rub off (which pulls out gently) was has started to already come out of the pores. I've seen videos showing how to squeeze out the waxy substance for what seems like maintenance. I can't speak as an expert, but that doesn't seem like a good idea unless they are already clogged and seeming to get irritated. It might be fine for a professional, but I'd be hesitant to recommend it. The best video I have seen on doing so was by Cookie Critters.

But again... unless it looks like there's a problem, I wouldn't try to "unclog" them. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Now... to the root question... what's the difference. I don't have good pictures. I'm sure you can find extreme examples on the Internet, but more useful would be to see what the beginning of cogged pores are like. I can only best describe them as seeming a bit more swollen than normal for your beardie, and/or starting to seem irritated.
Yeah, that's my problem. Tons of info on pores that are already a problem, but no base knowledge to compare it to.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Healthy pores look like little pits near the vent and along the inner thighs. In females they are often so small to be unnoticable

1642413265035.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom