Female sleeping UNDER sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khallendros

Hi,

I have a large enclosure, that has sifted playsand in it. One of my female beardies that is about 14" decided that today, being the first day in the sand, would bury herself literally right under it. My wife couldnt find her and she was under for approx 8-10 hours.

When I got home I was able to find her by raking through with my hands, and pulled her out. My first thought was "How can she still be alive without suffocating?!" She doesn't generally each much but this caused me concern as the other females in the enclosure all eat like pigs!

I've had her approx a month now and in general she doesn't spend much time under the heat. She should only be approx six months old now and I have never seen this.

Should I be concerned for her spending long hours under sand?

Thanks.

PS: After checking her over she seems fine and I cant see any traces of egg development.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Are they caged together? The other females may be more dominate then her. Lizards in general even the "communal" ones, can develop dominance and not allow others to eat. I have heard of it in bearded dragons and seen it in uromastyx, also read of it in other species as well. I would separate her, give her, her own enclosure, if not for the possible dominance issue then possibly she may have an illness which could spread to the others.

In reading endeavors, if I remember right, dragons should not be submitted to sand until full grown. Even then there are possible adverse health risks involved. I am honestly not trying to argue this nor convince you to follow my or anyone's lead. However I want to supply you with knowledge, information.

"" Sand is not a bearded dragons natural substrate, their natural consists of a clay/loamy substance which can be seen in area of Utah, Arizona, Nevada etc.. it has a cracked appearance, they also spend considerable time in fields bordering between the clay/loamy and wooded areas. Loose sand such as play sand is similar to the deserts of Africa like the Saharan Desert.""
Clay/Loamy desert
11648835735uDp7I.jpg

Sand type desert
Sahara%20Desert,%20Morocco%20pictures.jpg

Please don't take me the wrong way.. :wink:

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Everything you have described - the lack of eating, the lack of basking, the hiding under the sand - can be attributed to the fact that she is overwhelmed by her cage mates. Even if they don't fight, she is definitely feeling the stress at having to share her home with them. If you don't provide her a separate home, her health will decline and within a matter of months, you will have a very sick and malnourished beardie on your hands.

Khallendros

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses! I have put her into her own enclosure and will see how she does from here.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
Khallendros":3txe9yn3 said:
Thanks for the responses! I have put her into her own enclosure and will see how she does from here.

Yay! I'm sure you will see quick improvement in both her health and attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom