Female beardie active but not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffmahboi

Hello all,
My beardie is about 3 years now, I've had her since she was about 8 moths and recently shes become very energetic but she hasn't been eating for over a week. She's pooping regularly but she scarcely eats anything offered to her including roaches and raspberries-which are her favorite. Every morning she wakes me up glass surfing and bumping against the glassto get out so she can watch out my window. I wouldn't be too concerned, she gets like this every few months (back and forth between being lazy and hyperactive) but she isn't eating. I don't have anything to weigh her, I never have, but shes lost a lot of weight, with her tummy hanging with a lot of wrinkles.
Her tank has been between 95-103 F on her basking side and at the lowest 80 F on her cool side. It is a Zen Habitats 120 gallon so only one side is glass and the top is mesh. She has two heat emitters, a heat bulb, and a long UVB light across the top. I'm wondering if she isn't getting enough from it, which is possible since it's just that one. I've ordered a new replacement for it as well. I've had mercury vapor bulbs before but they kept going out and were so expensive for how little they seemed to be doing. Any help or advice would be welcome!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is the UVB inside the tank ? Or on top of the screen ---? If its on top it needs to be inside the tank - what bulb are you using? T 5 or a T 8? Two heat emitters are they on? You only need the heat emitters if the tank is dropping below 65 at nite and one should do - I have the same tank and only run one heat emitter when needed in the winter -- I use a 150 watt baking bulb --- temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer stick ons are good for ambient but you want the probe for the basking temps --- has she ever laid eggs before? Is she digging in the tank ---
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on the XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post

puffmahboi

Original Poster
The uvb is a tv8 and it is inside the tank, the second heat emitter is only on one the heat drops mostly in the winter so it is not on right now. She's never laid eggs before and like I said she's lost a lot of weight rather than gain any. She could be digging though I'm pretty confident its surfing as she jumps at the walls and tries to get as high up her basking spot as she can.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the UVB should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor--- the T 8 is not adequate for a 120 gallon tank please upgrade it ---- she is trying to get as high up as she can in the tank tells me shes trying to get to the UVB --- if its more than 8 inches from her shes not getting enough UVB -- has she been tested for parasites that would cause the not eating but not the glass surfing -- your taking the temps w/ a digital probe thermometer ?

puffmahboi

Original Poster
What would suggest for the UVB then? I have not tested her for parasites recently, I do check it and haven't found anything in it but that's not always telling of course. I do use a digital probe thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
24 " fixture either a Zoo Med or sunblaster nano or Arcadia - Reptisun 10.0 T 5-- Arcadia 12% bulb - distance for that bulb is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- a fecal test would need to be done from the vet--- take one in NO ENEMAS- they often end in disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom