Feeling kinda stupid PLEASE HELP!!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Well, Angel layed an egg Thursday in the floor of her viv and I had to wait till today to make a lay box. I put it in her viv and put her in it and, BINGO she took to it like a duck to water. She dug and dug till she found the bottom then got still, so I went over to check her progress (trying to give a lady her privacy). Much to my surprise she was setting in the hole she made eating the playsand/topsoil mix. Is this normal? I don't want her to get impacted or egg bound what do I do?

The mixture is damp right? like the same consistency You would make sand castles with? I usually put it all to one side when it's The right consistency and compact it kind of into a slopped mountain.. and then I sometimes will put them in the box and start digging for them so they can see me do it to kind of get the idea. when they're going hard- they definitely get sand all over their face and in their eyes and mouth because they're face deep digging away. Maybe she just had some on her face she was trying to get off? If she's actually eating it, then take her out and try feeding her first? The least substrate she ingest, the better.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
She had eaten a huge salad and 15 giant mealworms an hour before.
I didn't add water to the mixture for fear of making mud out of it.
I watched her taking bites of it which concerned me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Silly dragons sometimes do taste a bit of it, just watch that she doesn't continue to eat in excess. It's good that she dug in it a lot, you can put a lid on it or take it out for part of the day and after a few days she should be ready and realize that this is where her eggs need to go.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Silly dragons sometimes do taste a bit of it, just watch that she doesn't continue to eat in excess. It's good that she dug in it a lot, you can put a lid on it or take it out for part of the day and after a few days she should be ready and realize that this is where her eggs need to go.
She was literally taking big bites of it. Will it hurt her?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I doubt it but if you keep it out for the majority of the time and just put it in once a day she may get right down to business soon when she actually does need to lay. If you're really worried you can replace the dirt with lots of shredded newspaper but make sure the box is covered mostly so she feels the same security + privacy that she would have in a cave dug in the dirt. Oh, and don't feel stupid, your question is a legitimate concern. :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I doubt it but if you keep it out for the majority of the time and just put it in once a day she may get right down to business soon when she actually does need to lay. If you're really worried you can replace the dirt with lots of shredded newspaper but make sure the box is covered mostly so she feels the same security + privacy that she would have in a cave dug in the dirt. Oh, and don't feel stupid, your question is a legitimate concern. :)
That makes me feel somewhat better about it... Thank You!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Do I run it though a paper shredder or tear it by hand , I can do both 🤔

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Well, I couldn't do the newspaper thing so I went with a 50/50 mix of ecoearth and peatmoss moistened to a tacky consistency. To. Say she did her thing would be an understatement.
This morning I put her lay box lay box in her viv and she went to town. When I got home from work she was just finishing up. Counting the 2 she dropped before the box was put in (I was worried sick) put out a total of 40 eggs. Needless to say I was astonished 😲 😯 😮. Boy am I 😊 😃 😀 😄 😁 😁!!!!! Now it's bath time for her her

Attachments

• 20211222_165514.jpg
    20211222_165514.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20211222_165524.jpg
    20211222_165524.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 78
  • 20211222_172831.jpg
    20211222_172831.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211222_174423.jpg
    20211222_174423.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom