Feeding Silkworms

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
So I’ve just started on silkworms and wonder how many should be fed everyday? Draco is 4.5 months old and 15 inches, eats healthy amount of salad and 7-10 big dubias everyday.

My silkworms are at ~4cm (1.5 inches) now. I plan to feed him only silkworms for protein until I go through all of them (about 100). Anyone who has fed their beardie silkworms how many do you feed?
702A71E1-6C65-47C9-9FB6-1297AB77C874.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So I’ve just started on silkworms and wonder how many should be fed everyday? Draco is 4.5 months old and 15 inches, eats healthy amount of salad and 7-10 big dubias everyday.

My silkworms are at ~4cm (1.5 inches) now. I plan to feed him only silkworms for protein until I go through all of them (about 100). Anyone who has fed their beardie silkworms how many do you feed? View attachment 74442
When Blaze was a baby I fed him 3-4 and dubias as well - the main staple was/is dubias -- when he ate the silks he ate around 10 or so dubias at that time - but he was also getting medium super worms 3 and salad - these were all topped on his salad that he would get in the morning--- by the time second feeding came around he was given dubias only and he would eat may 10-12 then --- second feedings didnt last too long as he got older I think he was filling up in that morning feeding -- I also fed BSFL as a staple at that time - they and the silks were not fed at the same time -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Of you got 100 of them you need to feed him probably as many as he wants, they grow really fast (not quite as fast as hornworms but fast), also i never gave them veggies so may not grow as fast on that.
But they can get as almost as big as hornworms. Once they are grown they will start to cocoon.

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
When Blaze was a baby I fed him 3-4 and dubias as well - the main staple was/is dubias -- when he ate the silks he ate around 10 or so dubias at that time - but he was also getting medium super worms 3 and salad - these were all topped on his salad that he would get in the morning--- by the time second feeding came around he was given dubias only and he would eat may 10-12 then --- second feedings didnt last too long as he got older I think he was filling up in that morning feeding -- I also fed BSFL as a staple at that time - they and the silks were not fed at the same time -
Blaze is a lucky boy having so much variety 😃 I guess 10 silks per feeding is a good number, then I’ll see if he wants more in the afternoon

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Of you got 100 of them you need to feed him probably as many as he wants, they grow really fast (not quite as fast as hornworms but fast), also i never gave them veggies so may not grow as fast on that.
But they can get as almost as big as hornworms. Once they are grown they will start to cocoon.
Yeah I don’t feed them chow so they probably take longer to grow. The good thing is I ordered them in two batches so they’re not gonna all be ready to feed off at the same time 😬 Draco eats like a little pig so I think I may not see any cocoons at all!

Rocky2022

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Rocky, Ruby
OMG I thought it was my eyes. Those hornworms look like they grow about an inch a day...what in the world?!!!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I swear i think if you had the patience you could see them get bigger right in front of your eyes lol

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom