Feeding schedule help (for a recently gravid beardie)

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys my Amber laid her first clutch and by the time I put her salad dish in her enclosure she started eating it right away.

I know she's hungry but I don't wanna feed her too much like I did last year (2-3 times a day with bugs for 2 weeks straight due to misinformation).

She is eating gingerly but eating a decent amount nonetheless I wanna feed her bugs to just not sure how much or how many times.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hey guys my Amber laid her first clutch and by the time I put her salad dish in her enclosure she started eating it right away.

I know she's hungry but I don't wanna feed her too much like I did last year (2-3 times a day with bugs for 2 weeks straight due to misinformation).

She is eating gingerly but eating a decent amount nonetheless I wanna feed her bugs to just not sure how much or how many times.
I would feed her once per day till she recovers some weight, remember to give plenty of calcium for the first couple weeks also

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would feed her once per day till she recovers some weight, remember to give plenty of calcium for the first couple weeks also
So bugs once a day? I also do normally greens and squash in the morning and afternoon so that should be good right? Kale/escarole/collard greens and butternut squash

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
So bugs once a day? I also do normally greens and squash in the morning and afternoon so that should be good right? Kale/escarole/collard greens and butternut squash
You salad everyday, and bugs and calcium once a day till she recovers 🙂 that's what I do anyways 🙂

Chris.

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Also make sure you give her plenty of water. Adults are not as efficient in metabolizing protein and need much more water for that :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, so she did lay, that's great ! I didn't see an update on the thread since I last posted that it was likely ready to happen, I bet you're relieved.

Can you post a full body pic to show her size compared to her full of eggs ?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
O.K, so she did lay, that's great ! I didn't see an update on the thread since I last posted that it was likely ready to happen, I bet you're relieved.

I'll try to snap one and post it she has bugs on the brain I fed her crickets with calcium/vitamins she has been a bit sluggish so I haven't actually taken her out post-egg laying.

Been kinda giving her the choice if she wants out or just take a nap near her lights 😅 but tomorrow will be bath day so I'll snap one

Note: 22 total eggs 6 outside her laybox and then 16 in her laybox

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster

The first pic I just took before her tubby time the others are BEFORE egg laying

Attachments

• IMG_20240613_102505.jpg
    IMG_20240613_102505.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240404_155635.jpg
    IMG_20240404_155635.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20240407_153702.jpg
    IMG_20240407_153702.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 21

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Amber is a beauty, she looks bright + alert there. Probably very happy to have done her dragonly duty of making you worry. :D Well she is a little overweight so you don't need to feed her extra bugs [ as in every day ] at all. Go with the regular feeding for adult dragon, insects 2 X a week and just a few at a time. Lots of greens and hydration. Stay happy Amber !

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Amber is a beauty, she looks bright + alert there. Probably very happy to have done her dragonly duty of making you worry. :D Well she is a little overweight so you don't need to feed her extra bugs [ as in every day ] at all. Go with the regular feeding for adult dragon, insects 2 X a week and just a few at a time. Lots of greens and hydration. Stay happy Amber !
That's what I'll do but on some urgent news she just pooped for the first time since her 22 eggs and she wasn't quite done she pooped out 5 more so it's up to 27 eggs in total.

She's alert and eating so this has caught me off guard and now I'm worried again she showed NO signs of nesting digging or having any more in her.

Could this be her finishing up and not have any more for a bit? Or does she have even more to lay? Her average is around 28-32 eggs from last year anyways (first year of having eggs)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, well that's not unheard of but it is pretty surprising to say the least. If she has anymore I guess they'll just drop out like these last few. o_O

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Wow, well that's not unheard of but it is pretty surprising to say the least. If she has anymore I guess they'll just drop out like these last few. o_O
You said it lol she hasn't had anymore thankfully but the vet said to go back to her normal feeding schedule.

He said that she is alert active and eating and that's a good sign she is even back to her normal sleep schedule (goes in her hide at 8pm or 9pm the latest)

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Hi I have a hypo bearded dragon called Buddy. He is two, and I have a lot of experience looking after him. He has never benn sick before so I am hoping he will not!
Hello , im still figureing out this platform,
So violet laid eggs, weeks ago, she was doing very well , in the last 3 to 4 days her poop was more than runny . Haven't changed much in her diet , an appetite is very good. Should I be considering a parasites remedy as she does get bloated as soon as she starts to eat.
My baby beardie likes to sit in their water bowl. I'm curious on whether it would hurt them or not.
Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anewbie
Top Bottom