Feeding questions for new baby

Ted

Hello all!

I am still doing research on when I get a new baby (from a breeder).

I'm just so torn and confused about which insects to get for him.

1. I'm leaning towards Dubia roaches, but to be as cost-efficient on shipping (from sites such as Dubiaroaches.com), how many do I get and how regularly?? Do I buy 200 every week? 200 every other week? Again, I'm trying to save on shipping costs. :)

2. I like the idea of BSFL. Are these the same as nutrigrubs? Are these not as nutritious as Dubia roaches?

3. I'll stay away from mealworms, as I heard these aren't as easily digested by baby bearded dragons.

4. If I DO go with Dubia roaches, do I start my own colony to save money? Is it a lot of work? Is it just like having another pet? LOL So many questions. :)

5. Should I be getting this nervous about what to feed my little guy (once I get him)?

Thanks for any help! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all!

I am still doing research on when I get a new baby (from a breeder).

I'm just so torn and confused about which insects to get for him.

1. I'm leaning towards Dubia roaches, but to be as cost-efficient on shipping (from sites such as Dubiaroaches.com), how many do I get and how regularly?? Do I buy 200 every week? 200 every other week? Again, I'm trying to save on shipping costs. :)

2. I like the idea of BSFL. Are these the same as nutrigrubs? Are these not as nutritious as Dubia roaches?

3. I'll stay away from mealworms, as I heard these aren't as easily digested by baby bearded dragons.

4. If I DO go with Dubia roaches, do I start my own colony to save money? Is it a lot of work? Is it just like having another pet? LOL So many questions. :)

5. Should I be getting this nervous about what to feed my little guy (once I get him)?

Thanks for any help! :)
Dubia roaches and bsfl or nutri grubs are a good combo-- I usually ordered around 200 and fed anywhere from 10 -15 roaches plus around 25 grubs in the morning w/ fresh salads- dusting only the roaches w/ calcium d3 - figure out how many your little guy eats at a time then figure how many you need to order- w/ blaze I fed him superworms 1-3 on top of his salads every other day plus he got silk worms which are another good staple so w/ all that the roaches lasted awhile- make sure you go by the chart on the website for the size of the roach- do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes-- you can keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food and dubia dew plus the stuff you feed your dragon - do not feed both of them carrots too much VIT A-

Ted

Original Poster
Dubia roaches and bsfl or nutri grubs are a good combo-- I usually ordered around 200 and fed anywhere from 10 -15 roaches plus around 25 grubs in the morning w/ fresh salads- dusting only the roaches w/ calcium d3 - figure out how many your little guy eats at a time then figure how many you need to order- w/ blaze I fed him superworms 1-3 on top of his salads every other day plus he got silk worms which are another good staple so w/ all that the roaches lasted awhile- make sure you go by the chart on the website for the size of the roach- do not feed any insect bigger than the space between his eyes-- you can keep the roaches in a 10 gallon aquarium feed them dubia food and dubia dew plus the stuff you feed your dragon - do not feed both of them carrots too much VIT A-

Thank you, SO MUCH for this detailed help, KarrieRee! :)

I see you fed them in the morning. Do I need to feed babies a bit more frequently when they are young?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you, SO MUCH for this detailed help, KarrieRee! :)

I see you fed them in the morning. Do I need to feed babies a bit more frequently when they are young?
Yes offering a second feeding of just insects in the afternoon Do not dust them again! Just one time per day 5 x per week calcium D 3 an vitamin w/ beta carotene 2x per week once per day- I will post a good dish for salads and your bsfl to put them in - we need to go over your lighting uvb and basking bulb-- this is the most important thing in your tank

Ted

Original Poster
Yes offering a second feeding of just insects in the afternoon Do not dust them again! Just one time per day 5 x per week calcium D 3 an vitamin w/ beta carotene 2x per week once per day- I will post a good dish for salads and your bsfl to put them in - we need to go over your lighting uvb and basking bulb-- this is the most important thing in your tank
Thanks again.

My 4'x2'x2' PVC enclosure has been ordered (but not delivered).
I plan on having a dome lamp with a 150w Halogen bulb in it. The dome lamp is a Fluker's DIMMABLE lamp so I can adjust the amount of light/heat.
I also ordered a ReptiZoo T5 HO with a 10.0 UVB lamp (24")
I also ordered a thermostat with dim
Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 1.00.22 PM.jpg
ming capability.

Ted

Original Poster
I understand these might not be the best options, but for my current budget (as a retired school teacher), it's what I'm going with. :)

I realize that some people will argue and possibly criticize my choices, but I can't worry too much about that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I understand these might not be the best options, but for my current budget (as a retired school teacher), it's what I'm going with. :)

I realize that some people will argue and possibly criticize my choices, but I can't worry too much about that.
The fixture is fine but I recommend getting a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- they are a way better bulb-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate for surface basking temps-- also a digital probe hygrometer - your tank is going to be too big for a baby I would partition it off till he's about 3-4 months old
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
here is the bowl for insects
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
and a hygrometer

Last edited:

Ted

Original Poster
The fixture is fine but I recommend getting a reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb -- they are a way better bulb-- please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate for surface basking temps-- also a digital probe hygrometer - your tank is going to be too big for a baby I would partition it off till he's about 3-4 months old
Here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Nutrition Content
here is the bowl for insects
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
and a hygrometer

To clarify, you're suggesting the hood/fixture is fine, but to get a different bulb.

If that's the case, I can do that once the bulb that came with this fixture expires.

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
To clarify, you're suggesting the hood/fixture is fine, but to get a different bulb.

If that's the case, I can do that once the bulb that came with this fixture expires.
I wouldn't wait. Proper UVB is essential to dragons, and especially as growing babies. Reptisun and Arcadia are the best bulbs on the market. They are consistently high quality and provide the levels of UVB that they advertise. Other brands may use cheaper materials or have inconsistent quality from one bulb to the next. There is a reason that the people on here recommend these two brands over virtually any other. Not sure about the ReptiZoo T5, but both Arcadia and Reptisun are good for at least a year, and I know people on here that use UV meters have seen them last at least two. I wouldn't recommend that unless you have your own meter to verify, but it speaks to the high quality of the bulbs.

Honestly though, the fact that you are here asking questions and doing your research before even getting your dragon is a VERY good thing. You are well on your way to becoming a very good beardie parent (read: slave 😆).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

I wouldnt recommend using the bulb either -- the Reptisuns are not that expensive not the Arcadias --- $18-$22

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom