Feeding plan for dragon

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Please help me to find the true feeding plan for a teenager dragon.
This guy's name is Foxy, he's 9 months old. Foxy weighs 370g and is 18" long.
He eats every day according to this plan:
- in the morning (1pm - 1:30pm) I give him vegetables, usually lettuce, bok choy, some pumpkin and arugula, dust them with a little calcium (approximately as if we salted his salad)
- in the evening (4pm - 5pm) he gets as many dubia as he can eat in 10 minutes (about 15 dubias size of 3/4 inch)
5 roaches mixed with calcium in a glass (very mutch, like a donut)
Once a week I dust roaches with a vitamins.
He does not like vegetables much, usually two 1-inch lettuce and one half-inch piece of bok choy leaf. I still give different vegetables, I hope that someday he will like something different on his plate.
One day a week he may refuse roaches, in which case the next day he will eat his vegetables in the morning a little more than usual.
He make a poop regulary every day (at the morning), but if he refuse dubia, then on the second day.
Over the past 2 months, he has greatly gained weight and length. His weight in two months increased from 280 grams (he was 7 months old) to 370 grams
And now I'm a little worried that he will get too much protein from dubia.
Dubia feeding is: oats, kale leaves, lettuce, carrots and apple, they also get gammarus on the basis that their total protein from all food will be 6% of the total.
So, now he is a very active guy, 2 times a day (one hour each) he walks around the house, loves to run very much (like a crazy shoelace), he is very curious and everything around is interesting for him.
He loves to jump on everything that is a little higher than him, he could just climb onto a pillow lying on the floor, but no, he will run up to it and make a jump!
Can you please let me know if feeding needs to be changed? Maybe he needs more greens and less protein?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 78

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please help me to find the true feeding plan for a teenager dragon.
This guy's name is Foxy, he's 9 months old. Foxy weighs 370g and is 18" long.
He eats every day according to this plan:
- in the morning (1pm - 1:30pm) I give him vegetables, usually lettuce, bok choy, some pumpkin and arugula, dust them with a little calcium (approximately as if we salted his salad)
- in the evening (4pm - 5pm) he gets as many dubia as he can eat in 10 minutes (about 15 dubias size of 3/4 inch)
5 roaches mixed with calcium in a glass (very mutch, like a donut)
Once a week I dust roaches with a vitamins.
He does not like vegetables much, usually two 1-inch lettuce and one half-inch piece of bok choy leaf. I still give different vegetables, I hope that someday he will like something different on his plate.
One day a week he may refuse roaches, in which case the next day he will eat his vegetables in the morning a little more than usual.
He make a poop regulary every day (at the morning), but if he refuse dubia, then on the second day.
Over the past 2 months, he has greatly gained weight and length. His weight in two months increased from 280 grams (he was 7 months old) to 370 grams
And now I'm a little worried that he will get too much protein from dubia.
Dubia feeding is: oats, kale leaves, lettuce, carrots and apple, they also get gammarus on the basis that their total protein from all food will be 6% of the total.
So, now he is a very active guy, 2 times a day (one hour each) he walks around the house, loves to run very much (like a crazy shoelace), he is very curious and everything around is interesting for him.
He loves to jump on everything that is a little higher than him, he could just climb onto a pillow lying on the floor, but no, he will run up to it and make a jump!
Can you please let me know if feeding needs to be changed? Maybe he needs more greens and less protein?
Please no more lettuce--- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its out dated
Nutrition Content
salads should be fed every day - for his age insects 5 x per week dusted w/ calcium D3 one time per feeding and lightly coated -- vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated - as of now he needs the protein cuz hes young- I would add some super worms some horn worms and some meal worms into his diet- those are all treat worms so feed them like every other day or so -- 1-3 worms -

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Please no more lettuce--- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale info its out dated
Nutrition Content
salads should be fed every day - for his age insects 5 x per week dusted w/ calcium D3 one time per feeding and lightly coated -- vitamins w / beta carotene 2 x per week lightly coated - as of now he needs the protein cuz hes young- I would add some super worms some horn worms and some meal worms into his diet- those are all treat worms so feed them like every other day or so -- 1-3 worms -
Thanks for the quick response!
I will exclude lettuce from his diet and the diet for dubia!
I would like to clarify some things in your advice.
What is the best way to take a break with insects - two days without any insects or is it better to alternate these days?
Should all worms be given instead of dubia, or should roaches and worms be given on this day(5 dubia + 3 worms for example)?
I have an UVB lamp installed Reptile Systems D3+ Reptile T5 12% 39W (Reptile Systems is a former Arcadia factory and manufactures equal products in France) do I really need to give calcium d3 with insects always (may by I misunderstanded you)?
Salad with calcium should not be dusted now?
Superworm - I didn't see that name in my local insect store, but Google says it's a zophobas morio, is it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks for the quick response!
I will exclude lettuce from his diet and the diet for dubia!
I would like to clarify some things in your advice.
What is the best way to take a break with insects - two days without any insects or is it better to alternate these days?
Should all worms be given instead of dubia, or should roaches and worms be given on this day(5 dubia + 3 worms for example)?
I have an UVB lamp installed Reptile Systems D3+ Reptile T5 12% 39W (Reptile Systems is a former Arcadia factory and manufactures equal products in France) do I really need to give calcium d3 with insects always (may by I misunderstanded you)?
Salad with calcium should not be dusted now?
Superworm - I didn't see that name in my local insect store, but Google says it's a zophobas morio, is it?
Yes on the morio worms for supers --- and yes on the D3 as I posted for now that will change once he is a year old -- stay w/ your staple feeder of dubias - give the worms as treats as an extra food - they are not a substitute for your staple insect-- feed them as I posted above -- where is the UVB in the tank or top of screen and if on top of screen is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? That will determine where the UVB needs to be placed and distanced-- do not dust the salad its better to dust the insects - like your dubias not the worms-- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm -

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yes on the morio worms for supers --- and yes on the D3 as I posted for now that will change once he is a year old -- stay w/ your staple feeder of dubias - give the worms as treats as an extra food - they are not a substitute for your staple insect-- feed them as I posted above -- where is the UVB in the tank or top of screen and if on top of screen is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type? That will determine where the UVB needs to be placed and distanced-- do not dust the salad its better to dust the insects - like your dubias not the worms-- the horn worms are a good hydrating worm -
Thank you!
And what is the best way to distribute days without insects?
1. Ins-Ins-Ins-Ins-Ins-Gre-Gre
2. Ins-Ins-Gre-Ins-Ins-Gre-Ins
Yes, the UV is in the tank, 11 inches above the basking place (Ironwood piece on the right).
I made 11" instead of 12" because my reflector is not as perfect as arcadia's, it's not a mirror, but just an aluminum surface

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 57

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you!
Yes, the UV is in the tank, 11 inches above the basking place (Ironwood piece on the right).
I made 11" instead of 12" because my reflector is not as perfect as arcadia's, it's not a mirror, but just an aluminum surface
Your going to be feeding dubias everyday - then every other day feed him some treat worms as well -- make sure the aluminum surface is shiny side out if your using tinfoil -- also please get him a hide and please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for your surface basking temps they need to be 95-100 Fahrenheit for him and I would get him off the sand - it harbors bacteria and not very sanitary - you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath and its easier to clean w/ a vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - wipe down w/ a clean wet towel afterwards - found at your local home improvement store or your discount store like a Walmart -- those digital probe thermometers are extremely important ---

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I feed about 5 Fluker's blend pellets a day.
I gut-load with this blend or sometimes salad.
& I offer salad 2-3X per week.

Repasy also sells a blend or even a few blends.
I also feed select feeders.
BSFL is a great way to get calcium in them.
Thank you!

If you don't want to deal with insects, I'd work with the blends I have mentioned above.
Also, offer fresh/rehydrated veggies/salad.

This is the guy in my avatar.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I feed about 5 Fluker's blend pellets a day.
I gut-load with this blend or sometimes salad.
& I offer salad 2-3X per week.
Thank you!
It's a good idea with Fluker's blend pellets, but I think I won't be able to buy them, because they are not available in our country.
Besides, Foxy loves to hunt.
I'm not against insects, I'm was worried that the UA level may be high due to the fact that there is too much dubia and not enough salad

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
make sure the aluminum surface is shiny side out if your using tinfoil
It's shiny, but not as good as the Arcadia's reflector, so I hung it one inch lower.
I would get him off the sand - it harbors bacteria and not very sanitary
I know about sand. I will change it, but now there is a reserve(Exo-Terra Desert Sand) and I remove half a glass of sand after the poop and add a new one. This is all so that Foxy can comfortably lie on it in the form of a starfish - he loves it very much.
also please get him a hide and please get 2 digital probe thermometers one for your surface basking temps they need to be 95-100 Fahrenheit for him
I control the temperature and it is now 100F. For this I have 2 Exo Terra thermometers.
5.jpg
They do not hang there all the time, because. Foxy kicks them out of his zone :)
Hide is another problem of mine - I don’t know which one is better to put and where, but for now it goes under a canopy of wood on the right side of the tank
you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank insects cannot get underneath and its easier to clean w/ a vinegar/ water 50/50 solution - wipe down w/ a clean wet towel afterwards
I have not seen such, can you share a link for example?
Now I have an exo terra background installed outside the tank(it can be seen in the photo) so as not to take up space inside. besides, it is very fragile and crumbles

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
thermometers are extremely important
I forgot to say...
For continuous monitoring of temperature and humidity in a warm zone, I have a sensor from the smart home system. Very accurately measures temperature and humidity, keeps a history of changes and turns on the night heater at very low temperatures(68F and lower) at night

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I forgot to say...
For continuous monitoring of temperature and humidity in a warm zone, I have a sensor from the smart home system. Very accurately measures temperature and humidity, keeps a history of changes and turns on the night heater at very low temperatures(68F and lower) at night
you want something fairly smooth one that doesnt have a lot of grooves in it so your so hard to clean - the probe thermometer is good - you dont need to leave it there spot check your temps every 10 days or so - the sensor is picking up ambient temps

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
you want something fairly smooth one that doesnt have a lot of grooves in it so your so hard to clean - the probe thermometer is good - you dont need to leave it there spot check your temps every 10 days or so - the sensor is picking up ambient temps
Thanks, now I understand what you mean.
Today me, wife and daughter were in the pet store and brought some gifts for Foxy
7.jpg

He already got his hornworms and one super worm. Now he is very satisfied and started pancaking
:)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thanks, now I understand what you mean.
Today me, wife and daughter were in the pet store and brought some gifts for Foxy
View attachment 77605
He already got his hornworms and one super worm. Now he is very satisfied and started pancaking
:)
The horn worms grow fast so I would feed 2 of them - and I would look at getting them on line they are cheaper than the pet stores --- www.greatlakeshornworms.com www.dubiaroaches.com --- this place has the best super worms Fluker Farms - Order Live Crickets, Mealworms, Superworms

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
The horn worms grow fast
Yes, I know that, we already bought them, so I took 10 of them, because. they are always in the store
I would look at getting them on line they are cheaper than the pet stores
I think shipping to another country (Moldova) will be very expensive.
In addition, the prices in our pet store are not very high.
10 medium hornworms and 50 medium superworms cost $6.50

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom