Feeding a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all I will be buying a bearded dragon within the next few weeks and I just have a few questions about feeding.
I went to the pet shop near me and I was having a look at the live food and I seen "Silent crickets" so I am just wondering can I feed my bearded dragon these instead of normal crickets?
How do I know what size crickets to feed him?
How often do I feed him?
How many crickets a day do I feed him?
Do I feed him vegetables also?
Where do I store the crickets or silent crickets when I get them?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The only crickets that make noise are adult crickets. So any cricket that isn't an adult is essentially a "silent" cricket. Kind of shady marketing if you ask me.. One of the reasons I don't typically buy from petstores, and would recommend you look into ordering insects online. Betting quality and much cheaper.

To answer your questions:
How do I know what size crickets to feed him?
The space between the eye rule is a good one. Nothing larger than the space between a dragons eyes.
How often do I feed him?
Depends on how old the dragon is. A growing dragon should get anywhere from 1-3 insect meals per day.
How many crickets a day do I feed him?
Depends on the size of the crickets, but don't be surprised if you're going through a couple dozen per day. Another reason why buying in bulk online is better (or looking into different feeders than just crickets.)
Do I feed him vegetables also?
Yes absolutely. Even babies should be eating their salads daily. Good source of nutrients and moisture. And sets up good habits.
Where do I store the crickets or silent crickets when I get them?
Lots of YouTube videos on how to keep crickets. I would recommend watching a view so you can see how other people keep bulk crickets alive. You're not gonna want to be making the trip to the pet store every day to buy a few dozen crickets. So buying bulk quantities of 1000 online means you're going to also need to know how to care for crickets.

-Brandon

thedanielcrowley

Original Poster
The only crickets that make noise are adult crickets. So any cricket that isn't an adult is essentially a "silent" cricket. Kind of shady marketing if you ask me.. One of the reasons I don't typically buy from petstores, and would recommend you look into ordering insects online. Betting quality and much cheaper.

The space between the eye rule is a good one. Nothing larger than the space between a dragons eyes.

Depends on how old the dragon is. A growing dragon should get anywhere from 1-3 insect meals per day.

Depends on the size of the crickets, but don't be surprised if you're going through a couple dozen per day. Another reason why buying in bulk online is better (or looking into different feeders than just crickets.)

Yes absolutely. Even babies should be eating their salads daily. Good source of nutrients and moisture. And sets up good habits.

Lots of YouTube videos on how to keep crickets. I would recommend watching a view so you can see how other people keep bulk crickets alive. You're not gonna want to be making the trip to the pet store every day to buy a few dozen crickets. So buying bulk quantities of 1000 online means you're going to also need to know how to care for crickets.

-Brandon
Thank you for the info I really appreciate it.

thedanielcrowley

Original Poster

-Brandon
Could you tell me where I could buy crickets in bulk?
I'm based in Ireland.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Could you tell me where I could buy crickets in bulk?
I'm based in Ireland.
Please google live insects feeder for bearded dragons -- see what you come up w/
Make sure your using NO coils for a UVB you want a Arcadia Pro T 5 12% bulb its a long tube fixture w/ a reflector in the tank approx 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- NO colored bulbs - you want a CLEAR bright white basking bulb no off white or yellowish bulbs -- you also want a digital probe thermometer 2 of them one for the cool side of your tank and one for the hot side --- basking temps should be 105-110 F for a baby ---- temp needs to be taken on the spot where he sits for basking you want a actual basking surface temp not ambient --- cool side of the tank should be in the 80's F --
Arcadia ProT5 Kit - Desert 12% you want a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank
Nutrition Content ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
Zoo Med Digital Thermometer 2 of them and a hygrometer
Swell Digital Thermo Hygrometer you want the probe for the hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank so its reading the whole tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom