Feeding 12 week bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Hi I have a 12 week old bearded dragon and I do have crickets and roaches for it but I’m trying to get some other feeders that are good and healthy! I want to get it hornworms but I can’t find anywhere that has them and I did order it from rainbow mealworms but they refunded me and said that they are currently not shipping anything so can anyone tell me good online websites to buy them and what bugs should I get? One more thing I’m really confused about is that I have mealworms but I don’t know if I should feed them or not because on the internet lots of people say not to and lots say do so IDK!?
So do I feed them or not?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi I have a 12 week old bearded dragon and I do have crickets and roaches for it but I’m trying to get some other feeders that are good and healthy! I want to get it hornworms but I can’t find anywhere that has them and I did order it from rainbow mealworms but they refunded me and said that they are currently not shipping anything so can anyone tell me good online websites to buy them and what bugs should I get? One more thing I’m really confused about is that I have mealworms but I don’t know if I should feed them or not because on the internet lots of people say not to and lots say do so IDK!?
So do I feed them or not?
No --- meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs --- the exoskeleton can cause impaction -- he should be getting roaches or crickets NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- fresh salads every day I would get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com if your in the states - you can look on line for BSFL also known as phoenix worms calci worms nutrigrubs --- they are a great staple feeder for babies feed as many as your want and a great compliment to the crickets or roaches -- DO NOT dust them but you need to dust the other insects your feeding
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
you will need a glass or ceramic bowl something like this to keep them in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
your baby will eat quite a few of these as they are small -- are you dusting the insects now your feeding?
are you in the states or UK --- if so I am going to post another website for the Pro T 5

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No --- meal worms are too harsh on babies stomachs --- the exoskeleton can cause impaction -- he should be getting roaches or crickets NO bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- fresh salads every day I would get him some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com if your in the states - you can look on line for BSFL also known as phoenix worms calci worms nutrigrubs --- they are a great staple feeder for babies feed as many as your want and a great compliment to the crickets or roaches -- DO NOT dust them but you need to dust the other insects your feeding
here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder Nutrition Content
you will need a glass or ceramic bowl something like this to keep them in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
your baby will eat quite a few of these as they are small -- are you dusting the insects now your feeding?
are you in the states or UK --- if so I am going to post another website for the Pro T 5
Yes I’m dusting them and no I live in Adelaide Australia and I’ll check it out thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes I’m dusting them and no I live in Adelaide Australia and I’ll check it out thanks!
How often and w/ calcium D3 and vitamin w/ beta carotene -- your dragon will not be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium w/ out the UVB---

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
are you in the states or UK --- if so I am going to post another website for the Pro T
How often and w/ calcium D3 and vitamin w/ beta carotene -- your dragon will not be able to absorb / synthesize the calcium w/ out the UVB---
But I have the uvb

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
But I have the uvb
9958f508-264b-4c46-89af-620b8ca03b26-jpg.66401

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If this is the UVB your using get rid of it--- its going to cause a lot of problems and you dont want that -- please get the Arcadia that I posted for you --- you can get that fixture and bulb off the swell website I posted for you ---

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
If this is the UVB your using get rid of it--- its going to cause a lot of problems and you dont want that -- please get the Arcadia that I posted for you --- you can get that fixture and bulb off the swell website I posted for you ---
But the thing is that that one is kinda expensive and it’s online I’m trying not to buy something from online and it’s too big

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
But the thing is that that one is kinda expensive and it’s online I’m trying not to buy something from online and it’s too big
- you need to go look in the pet stores for a fixture like I posted w/ the bulbs- do not go back to the reptile store you bought him from they sold you all the wrong stuff which is NO surprise as they are in for the money only --- your dragon will quit eating all together and develop MBD -- I would consider rehoming him instead of letting him get sick and sicker and its no fun watching them get like that -- I have seen too many dragons w/ this disease from improper lighting - its horrible -- those coil UVB's are NO good --- I posted info on the other thread about them --

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is this one good
8C40965E-8F6A-4703-BD43-01582FB617FE.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No none of the coils are good --- you need a long tube fixture like what I posted
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
The Arcadia Pro is a relatively new combo kit that Arcadia put out that includes a grow light style fixture along with one of their bulbs (6%, 12% or 14%). This has the hanging clips similar to the grow light fixture options. I haven't tested the output of this one yet, but it replaced the older combo set that LightYourReptiles sold which included a SunBlaze grow light fixture (these were excellent and I still use them). These are also available in the UK via Swell Reptiles.

Jupitertheking

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No none of the coils are good --- you need a long tube fixture like what I posted
Which UVB light should I use?

The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
The Arcadia Pro is a relatively new combo kit that Arcadia put out that includes a grow light style fixture along with one of their bulbs (6%, 12% or 14%). This has the hanging clips similar to the grow light fixture options. I haven't tested the output of this one yet, but it replaced the older combo set that LightYourReptiles sold which included a SunBlaze grow light fixture (these were excellent and I still use them). These are also available in the UK via Swell Reptiles.
Yea did u see the one I send is it good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom